Readiness States

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Readiness States

Postby Caplin on Sun 06 Sep 2015 10:52

I don't believe 3rd R has any scenarios. My PDF sure doesn't. THere's a revised navy list for the Stars at War, but that's all.

Second edition, on the other hand, does have a couple of introductory ones. :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby LordKron on Sun 06 Sep 2015 11:15

3rdR should have 12 generic tactical scenarios after the ship lists. All purely tactical, but there are several that involve WP transits, either to enter the map or exit for victory conditions.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Caplin on Sun 06 Sep 2015 11:22

So it does. :) I didn't see those listed in thetable of contents, so just assumed 29.99 went on for quite a few pages. Oops.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 06 Sep 2015 13:15

LordKron wrote:The reason I don't start with Stars at War is that the scenarios are system level. The ones in 3rdR are purely tactical, so you can learn the tactic rules and get familiar with running multiple units, then progress to SAW.

Almost every scenario in SaW can be distilled down to a single battle on a tactical
map. There is absolutely no point to starting on the system map. Not sure why TFG did it that way.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LordKron on Sun 06 Sep 2015 13:27

Some of those scenarios are ovbious mismatches. You might want to play them as both sides then adjust for balance. There is one (can't remember the number offhand) where the WP the TFN units must exit is in the bottom right corner of the map but the TFN can enter from any map edge. IIRC, with proper placement, at least a couple of the TFN ships can exit via the WP on turn one. If the remainder are effectively sitting on the WP, more can get off on turn two, possibly ensuring a TFN victory.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Previous

Return to Classic Starfire