HET Lasers and Plasma Gun from Theban War and ISW-4

Home of Classic Starfire, the 3rd edition of Starfire, based on the novels by David Weber, Steve White, and Charles Gannon.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

HET Lasers and Plasma Gun from Theban War and ISW-4

Postby Morpheus on Thu 14 Jul 2016 15:45

Recently I have been reading the old Starfire novels and about the new tech that was used in the Theban War and ISW-4, and I had a couple questions/observations.

It appears that the TFN, even though it developed the HET laser to counter the X-Ray laser, still had most of its ships equipped with Force Beams in ISW-4. Does anyone use the HET laser over force beams, and if so, under what circumstances?

Second, what about the Plasma gun, does anyone use it? My thinking is that even though it takes up fewer hull spaces than force beams, its lower hit chance offsets the hull space gain.
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: HET Lasers and Plasma Gun from Theban War and ISW-4

Postby thebard on Fri 15 Jul 2016 03:02

Morpheus wrote:Second, what about the Plasma gun, does anyone use it? My thinking is that even though it takes up fewer hull spaces than force beams, its lower hit chance offsets the hull space gain.

If you sum up the expected damage for the two weapons (easiest way: sum of hit_prob*damage, summed over all applicable distances), you'll see that Pg has approx half that of Fb, for half the size. Its not exactly half but then
you also get 1 more HitToKill if you have 2*Pg instead of Fb.

Fairly even - unless the Fb player has a higher speed and manages to stay out og Pg's short range all together, but that's another story.

Edit : Did these calc.s for SSF , dont know if they apply to earlier versions
thebard
Commander
Commander

Re: HET Lasers and Plasma Gun from Theban War and ISW-4

Postby Cralis on Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:50

HET was used because it skipped shields and had a really good damage ratio. I'd have to pull out those rules and run the numbers to give you specifics. But I recall that HET was better than forcebeams at certain range brackets, and the forcebeam was better up close.

In Classic Starfire Pg did more damage than forcebeams but its range was severely limited (like 5 or less). What that meant was it became the SRW of choice for WP defense... and it was deadly!

(Pg isn't nearly so uneven in SSF)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Classic Starfire