Comments on Fiction

Vandervecken's 1st campaign in 3 decades. SOLAR rules using his VandSysGen modifications.

Moderator: Vandervecken

Re: Comments on Fiction

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 05 Apr 2013 03:35

Just starting on Turn #19 for the campaign, when I get done with Turn 20, I plan on writing 1 or 2 more stories with Beam Boy of the Daniswar Empire; then write another from The Venusian Hiver perspective. No combats to write about yet, no 1st contacts yet either. but that could change soon.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Wed 21 Aug 2013 06:59

Just a quick update

I've been training in a few people over the last month at work. I've also been doing Eoghantodd's turns as soon as he sends them to me. I have been taking notes and have begun to organize the campaign details/maps for my 'local' campaign that I hope to start in early October. At work, when I'm not taking a moment or two to be silly responding to Aethelred's Kobold Initiative, I've been getting my Vand SysGen into a presentable format for the people in my new campaign to use. Being complete and being readable are NOT the same. I did add a 'Double Big Moon' item to the Anomoly chart. Only a 1 in 100 chance.

Where does the 'Three empires' campaign stand. I'm hoping to restart the Methosian/Jopunjab WP battle during the Labor Day weekend. A pair of rambunctious older teens were a bit too active near the gaming table while watching my son play some Guitar Hero and both fleets suffered catastrophic losses when a giant energy wave crashed into them and literally tore them from the universe. It has taken me a few weeks to come down to a level of frustration where I am setting up the battle to the best of my recollection where me and the Khanese had finished Combat turn #1.

I've also been reading a lot of terriffic fiction latedly. I had originally planed to next write a piece from the Hot - Hive perspective of Gesstal-IV again. But after reading some great stuff (Both turn descritions and stories), I've decided that I'm next going to write another Daniswar piece with Tsutomu and Sonsaku. Kind of a Yang to some of the wonderful Yin stories that have appeared this last month or so. I plan on taking notes while camping this weekend and I'll see what I can come up with.

I hope you all have a great end to your summer and those down-under have a great end to your Winter, eh! And I hope you all have time to write some/more stuff in the next few weeks. I'm a much better reader than I am a writer. Heheheee.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Wed 27 Nov 2013 06:03

Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it. With the majority of employees at my work on Holiday these next couple of days, I may have time to add to the "Three Empires" campaign. If anyone cares, which of these four would you prefer to see added to this forum at this time.

A) Another update on whats going on with the Hot Hivers, the 'Guuhis'.

B) The continuation of the story of Tsutomu, who recently became "Two-Tails", a Beam Technician for the Daniswar Navy.

C) The story from the Methosian Homeworld when the barbarians (Jopunjab) enter the Methosian home system just 2 weeks before the Methosians were going to ambush the Jopunjab.

D) A rundown of turns # 2 and #3 of the Urrath in non-story form as I did with turn #1 of the alien Bears with Russian names.

With any luck and no emergencies, I'll be able to sneak out one of the above 4 by the end of Friday morning.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Wed 27 Nov 2013 21:50

Vandervecken wrote:C) The story from the Methosian Homeworld when the barbarians (Jopunjab) enter the Methosian home system just 2 weeks before the Methosians were going to ambush the Jopunjab.

This one, the plot was sort of left hanging.

As for Tsutomu, would I be wrong in guessing that he's going to end up developing Rapid fire weapons?
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 28 Nov 2013 01:43

SCC wrote:
As for Tsutomu, would I be wrong in guessing that he's going to end up developing Rapid fire weapons?

I suspect that if that is in the cards for the Daniswar, that he will be involved. It seems logical, eh?

I originally picked a beam guy because all the larger Daniswar military vessels have a Force Beam at the end of the ship's design sheet. That gives that guy a chance to survive the longest if the ship gets hit in the early battles. His experience with the gunnery aspect of the Beam weapon along with his ability to work alongside the top 'Force Beam' scientists make him the perfect problem solver and 'Johnny-on-the-spot' field technician. It also gives me a reason for him to not to be on a ship he would normally be on if that ship would be involved in a battle that turns out very badly for the vessel, which is always a possibility in a Starfire universe.

As the Overwhelming majority of voters have asked for a Methosian update, heheheee; I shall put together a story about the Jopunjab taking of the Methosian WP.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 28 Nov 2013 04:01

I guess I don't need to say that (C) would be my first choice, followed by (A). :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Wed 04 Dec 2013 08:01

What a week,

Had no Email at work last week, All Thursday morning thru 07:30 on Monday when IT/M.I.S. got back from 4 day weekend (Thanksgiving in U.S.) All my notes for campaigns were unable to get into my in-box as a result. I did make a couple outlines that will help when I actually get to writing.

Cracked two toes tripping on a X-mas tree box of ornaments Sunday

Had an employee give 5 hours notice on quitting his job, same day

But on the bright side, I re-read some great fiction here in the Starfire forums and started reading some great fiction on the Aurora 4x games Forum boards - I'm almost done with Steve W.'s Nato vs Soviet Union Campaign. It is pretty darm good. I was suprised to see Procyon's 'Nemesis' campaign and some other Starfire fiction there. Then I saw that Steve W. also made the Starfire Assistant program way back when. A nice group of names appear on both forums. I just might post that Starfire is on it's 6th version, as some on that website think that Starfire is into its 4th version only.

I hope to get another chance to do some writing Mid-next week, that is when work will let me have more than a few minutes to type, and as I've said before, I type really slow (hunt and peck)
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 04 Sep 2014 01:17

The last six months have only seen me catch 2 NPR's up to the rest of the active empires. How pathetic. Motivation to do any work on This campaign, My own 4X game, most of the roleplaying campaigns (with exception of two that my kids play in), building Magic Decks, and a few other things, seems to have leaked out of me. It coincided with the knowledge late last February when my family realized that my mother was not going to leave the hospital alive. This was the 4th time she was in the hospital since November of 2013. She died this last April. My own health took a negative turn around then too, but I'm not dead yet.

But ... In this last week I've felt a trickle of creative juices return and I hope to get many of my projects that I so enjoyed just months before, back into my life. I've written 3 small paragraphs of another story snippit for the Daniswar story line. I'm not happy wth my writing and will probable attempt to rewrite it. But I am starting. Tonight, if work is slow, I'll try to redo my Leader advancement tables for my own 4X game (That project has been on my 'to do' list since December of 2013.) Hopefully more of Tsutomu will be written in the next week or so.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 04 Sep 2014 01:43

It's good to hear that you're coming back to the land of the living. Life seems to throw everything at you at once and it's tough. I've been there.

I know I've been patiently waiting to read more of your stories. You're an excellent author, and you write Starfire campaign stories. Maybe I'm biased, but you're REALLY high on my reading list! :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 04 Sep 2014 07:04

I wish those who have active campaigns (or some good notes from older campaigns) had more time to write. Some really good stuff has been done. I also wish that Procyon was still around and still writing more from the EPIC Nemesis campaign. The stuff in Starfire's fiction area by others has really made some long shifts go much faster and more enjoyable. Even the kooky Kobold campaign was fun to read, if often "rules challenged."
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Previous

Return to Daniswar - Jopunjab - Urrath (Three Empires campaign)