Found my Original Starfire I...

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Found my Original Starfire I...

Postby RedInTheMorning on Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:30

some thoughts on naval gaming and how ship firepower tactics work - what is more satisfying for players?

http://redinthemorning.blogspot.com/

For Starfire, some thoughts on squadron rules and how they'd affect the game.
RedInTheMorning
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Postby Cralis on Thu 28 Aug 2014 16:43

Interesting article. It doesn't seem like you have played 3rd edition or later Starfire. As technology changes, so do tactics. Especially in 3rd edition (what we now call Classic Starfire) where major tech changes are HUGE.

In fact, around TL 8 or 9 there is a new tech called Dz -- datalinked point defense that allows members of a datagroup to help defend each other...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby RedInTheMorning on Tue 02 Sep 2014 18:32

@ Cralis - quite correct, I'm just re-playing my Original Starfire thirty years later.

Third scenario up, "The Wrath of the Khanate", with four plays and some analysis, including the changing tech.

Per Cralis' post, tech changes things a lot. Missiles were key in scenarios 1 & 2, and in 3 they are largely negated by Point Defense so a switch to closer ranges and Gunfire.
http://redinthemorning.blogspot.com/
RedInTheMorning
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Postby aramis on Fri 20 Nov 2015 21:16

The engine differences between pre GKW and GKW-onward* don't make much difference in how the game plays out, since it tends to be relatively balanced...

It's really interesting to compare SVC's two ship combat games from the era - Starfire and SFB. SFB with proportional movement, randomized damage, separation of systems and their power sources, and energy allocation. Starfire with fixed damage allocation, power assumed to be adequate for all systems. Even when in the movement process one rotates the counter for fulfilled turn modes.

* while the multiple hit engines were originally presented in Nexus, they became the standard in GKW.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Original Starfire