So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby TarlTheGamer on Sun 19 Oct 2014 11:16

Adding them seems like a win to me.

Cralis wrote:The reason we spend a little more work is that the older versions have the original company's information all over them (in this case, Task Force Games). So we change the business information and write a new introduction for newer people who haven't been around as long as us :)

Plus, sometimes we find something that has to change. Here is one item we've found:

Scenario V of the First Interstellar War (B12.36) has four destroyers listed for the Terrans (Washington, Zhukov, Grant, and Guderian). These ships are not listed in the ship list for ISW1 and 2 (i.e., tier B). They are listed for the ISW3 as the Guderian-class DD. The design for this class in SF1 match the Cornwallis-class in SF2. Should we:

1. Add the ships to the Cornwallis-class list (My preference)
2. Duplicate the Guderian-class in ISW1.
3. Add the ships to some other class in ISW1.


Hmmmm. I'm thinking Dazrand is right and #1 is the better option. What do ya'll think?

There are also additional ships listed in the classes that aren't in the scenarios. I think that will be nice for people who want additional official ship names for scenarios of their own.
User avatar
TarlTheGamer
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue 18 Jun 2013 00:16
Location: Quincy, IL

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby mcb1968 on Sun 19 Oct 2014 20:54

I would adjust the die roll mechanic to the "new" d10 format and republish them! Might try putting them out on some of the pdf oriented commercial sites like Warehouse 23 where they would get more exposure. A printed set with map and cool counters and maps would be great. Miniature starships are great, but something you can fit on a card table has its place as well.
mcb1968
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2010 20:09

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby Cralis on Mon 20 Oct 2014 00:18

mcb1968 wrote:I would adjust the die roll mechanic to the "new" d10 format and republish them! Might try putting them out on some of the pdf oriented commercial sites like Warehouse 23 where they would get more exposure. A printed set with map and cool counters and maps would be great. Miniature starships are great, but something you can fit on a card table has its place as well.


It's unlikely we will change the mechanics of the game, at least in the official versions. However, I would like to have a box set for each version, sometime in the future.

I have, however, talked to Warehouse 23 and they are currently not interested in products like ours.

(EDIT: the below does NOT apply to Warehouse 23. They have awesome terms. I hope someday we can interest them in Starfire. Perhaps after some changes coming very, very soon...)

We also talked to a couple of other online distributors, and what they generally want is not feasible (most want exclusive distribution rights and between 40%-60% of the sale price).

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone sells through them.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10201
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby mcb1968 on Tue 21 Oct 2014 10:40

I'll be looking forward to picking these up and passing them on.
mcb1968
Commander
Commander
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun 17 Jan 2010 20:09

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby Xveers on Tue 21 Oct 2014 19:41

Cralis wrote:We also talked to a couple of other online distributors, and what they generally want is not feasible (most want exclusive distribution rights and between 40%-60% of the sale price).

Frankly, I'm surprised anyone sells through them.


Well, when you have a product with no backup or are slotting into pre-existing product ecosystem, no experience running an e-commerce site, and doubly so when you're just making something in your spare time, a flat cut off the top like that has its advantages.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Wed 15 Jul 2009 02:26
Location: New Westminster, BC, Canada

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby Albireo on Wed 29 Oct 2014 20:19

There were a few errata in Nexus magazines # 1 , 2 , and 4.

Will these be updated into the PDF versions ?

And how about some spelling corrections , etc. . .
Or maybe I am thinking of a full review for corrections and clarification before publishing a revised PDF version.
Albireo
Captain
Captain
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu 17 Oct 2013 00:32
Location: California

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby Cralis on Wed 29 Oct 2014 21:52

Albireo wrote:There were a few errata in Nexus magazines # 1 , 2 , and 4.

Will these be updated into the PDF versions ?

And how about some spelling corrections , etc. . .
Or maybe I am thinking of a full review for corrections and clarification before publishing a revised PDF version.


We aren't going to be fixing any of the older Nexus and EC documents. They are available through our CDs, however. I think the Legacy CD and Ultimate CD both have them all.
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10201
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby NigeVids on Sun 09 Nov 2014 05:10

I still have my original counters but unfortunately my three original books got water damaged in a fire so I would be very happy to be able to get a pdf to be able to read all the rules again. At present I am working off memory for a lot of it which is not the best idea.
NigeVids
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue 08 Jun 2010 06:41

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby Cralis on Sun 09 Nov 2014 12:05

Well, sir, you're in luck.

Take a look at the most recent announcement: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2600
Image
User avatar
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 10201
Joined: Tue 30 Jun 2009 19:27
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: So... who'd like to see Starfire I, II, and III in pdf?

Postby krenshala on Wed 26 Nov 2014 16:25

Cralis wrote:
Albireo wrote:There were a few errata in Nexus magazines # 1 , 2 , and 4.

Will these be updated into the PDF versions ?

And how about some spelling corrections , etc. . .
Or maybe I am thinking of a full review for corrections and clarification before publishing a revised PDF version.


We aren't going to be fixing any of the older Nexus and EC documents. They are available through our CDs, however. I think the Legacy CD and Ultimate CD both have them all.

Matt, I think he was asking if the SF I, II and III rules would be updated with the errata from the Nexus/EC articles.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member
 
Posts: 2500
Joined: Thu 02 Jul 2009 17:13
Location: Austin TX, NorAm, Sol III

PreviousNext

Return to Original Starfire

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: VoidStalker_WoE and 3 guests