Starfire 2 Map?

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Starfire 2 Map?

Postby the pugilist on Thu 05 Feb 2015 14:33

So I downloaded my copy of Starfire 2 with joy, but I've run into an obstacle. Where can I find a properly numbered map (PDF would be fine) so that I can actually play the scenarios? I can't find it under the downloads and google has availed me naught.

Thanks.

Edit': I would also happy with an explanation of how the numbering was done. For example: are the first two digits the row and the last two digits the column? Is it the other way around? Or something completely different?
the pugilist
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Starfire 2 Map?

Postby krenshala on Fri 06 Feb 2015 00:22

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the SF2 map, but your guess is typically how its done. One par is vertical, the second is horizonal, one being straight and the other a zigzag.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 06 Feb 2015 01:45

The old TFG maps were the exact same maps used by Star Fleet Battles (imagine that! *laugh*)

We don't have those available for sale, but I'm looking into what it would take to have something like that done again. ANY hex map will work though, and I quite often use my large Chessex rollout vinyl hex maps.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby the pugilist on Fri 06 Feb 2015 14:08

Thanks! That is in fact very helpful information since the basic SFB map is pretty easily available. :)
the pugilist
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Sekundar on Mon 09 Feb 2015 14:41

I just looked at my maps, and yes the numbers are just XX,YY. They are 28 columns by 34 rows.
The numbers start in the upper left, and the scatter diagram has 1 on top and go around clockwise.
Sekundar
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Albireo on Mon 09 Feb 2015 16:39

the pugilist wrote:So I downloaded my copy of Starfire 2 with joy, but I've run into an obstacle. Where can I find a properly numbered map (PDF would be fine) so that I can actually play the scenarios? I can't find it under the downloads and google has availed me naught.

Thanks.

Edit': I would also happy with an explanation of how the numbering was done. For example: are the first two digits the row and the last two digits the column? Is it the other way around? Or something completely different?

1st edition SF1 and SF2 both used the same map.

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1630206/starfire?size=large

If you zoom your browser all the way, you will be able to read the numbers, but it is a little foggy.

If you give me a week, I will release a map that I made in MS Excel, so Crails can put it into the downloads section. I created this in 2014 JUNE. I need to update it with the newest SDS Game Aid agreement, and add some light polish and some final checks.

I was working on an improved version of this map, but was distracted by my health problems.
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby Morpheus on Thu 25 Jun 2015 14:56

Albireo wrote:If you give me a week, I will release a map that I made in MS Excel, so Crails can put it into the downloads section. I created this in 2014 JUNE. I need to update it with the newest SDS Game Aid agreement, and add some light polish and some final checks.

Do you know if Cralis ever posted this to the downloads section? I looked for it and I didn't see it.
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Thu 25 Jun 2015 16:37

Morpheus wrote:
Albireo wrote:If you give me a week, I will release a map that I made in MS Excel, so Crails can put it into the downloads section. I created this in 2014 JUNE. I need to update it with the newest SDS Game Aid agreement, and add some light polish and some final checks.

Do you know if Cralis ever posted this to the downloads section? I looked for it and I didn't see it.

Hmmmm... he would have emailed it to me and I don't see it in my email. Albireo?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Tue 14 Jul 2015 12:42

Here is a link to a PDF version of the Star Fleet Battles hex map, which is identical to the hex map that I have with my old Starfire set. Since Starfire and Staf Fleet Battles were originally both made by Task Force Gaes, I'm not surprised that the maps match.

http://starfleetgames.com/sfb/sfin/Hex_ ... mbered.pdf

I hope this helps!
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Thu 16 Jul 2015 11:09

Morpheus wrote:Here is a link to a PDF version of the Star Fleet Battles hex map, which is identical to the hex map that I have with my old Starfire set. Since Starfire and Staf Fleet Battles were originally both made by Task Force Gaes, I'm not surprised that the maps match.

http://starfleetgames.com/sfb/sfin/Hex_ ... mbered.pdf

I hope this helps!

Crikey! I missed this post the other day! This is pretty cool, I will put it up on the downloads. I've been tempted to try and recreate this map to sell but I don't know how much demand there would be for it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Original Starfire