Starfire 2 Map?

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Starfire 2 Map?

Postby Caplin on Tue 01 Sep 2015 12:12

Morpheus wrote:
Albireo wrote:If you give me a week, I will release a map that I made in MS Excel, so Crails can put it into the downloads section. I created this in 2014 JUNE. I need to update it with the newest SDS Game Aid agreement, and add some light polish and some final checks.

Do you know if Cralis ever posted this to the downloads section? I looked for it and I didn't see it.

I'd love to get a copy of this too—I used to have it, but migrated to a new computer a while back and forgot to grab it. I emailed Albireo and haven't heard back—I hope he's doing okay. It looks like it's been a while since he logged on here.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Sep 2015 15:16

I got an email from Albireo not too long ago. He had some issues crop up but he's still working on it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby LordKron on Wed 02 Sep 2015 07:46

The standard TFG map of the time was 42x30. Shouldn't be hard to convert any hex map or maps to usable size. I lost my old maps years ago and have been using ASL desert maps as a substitute.
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby aramis on Tue 08 Sep 2015 12:01

Cralis wrote:The old TFG maps were the exact same maps used by Star Fleet Battles (imagine that! *laugh*)

The maps in the baggies I bought (back in '83) are blue, 28x34 hex, vertical grain XXYY XX column.YY row

Like the one shown at BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/1630206 ... size=small

While any hexmap will do, it's important to realize the size for which the scenarios were set up.

LordKron wrote:The standard TFG map of the time was 42x30. Shouldn't be hard to convert any hex map or maps to usable size. I lost my old maps years ago and have been using ASL desert maps as a substitute.

No, it wasn't.

The black 42x30 maps were being phased in about the time 2nd was published. I got one in Commander's SFB, and one in Starfire 2E.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby aramis on Fri 18 Mar 2016 04:39

Cralis wrote:The old TFG maps were the exact same maps used by Star Fleet Battles (imagine that! *laugh*)

We don't have those available for sale, but I'm looking into what it would take to have something like that done again. ANY hex map will work though, and I quite often use my large Chessex rollout vinyl hex maps.

Given columns x rows, numbering for both is CCRR format
Original scenarios (pocket editions) are on 28x33.5, odd columns higher (and number to 34 hexes).
2E and 3E on 42x30, odd columns higher.
SF III strategic map is 51x34.5... but the hexes are not actually used as movement regulators

Size makes a difference for tactical scenarios in 1E, 2E, and 3E... because leaving the map is usually considered to be fleeing, and for the intruder player, considered destruction. Also note that several scenarios run to XX32 in SF I/II, which will be off-map on the larger (wider but shorter) 4230 maps. (The scenarios in SF 2E are the same scenarios, but adjusted for the new 4230 maps.

Odd high vs Odd Low can result in a range difference of 1 hex - which in a few 1E scenarios can result in being under guns or not at first initiative. (especially considering the smaller map)...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Morpheus on Fri 18 Mar 2016 15:02

Cralis wrote:I got an email from Albireo not too long ago. He had some issues crop up but he's still working on it.

Any updates on the Excel version of the map?

I'm curious, did Albiero say whether he was using Excel to generate a hex grid as an Excel chart, or was he actually modifying the setup of the rectangular cells to support hexes?
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Fri 18 Mar 2016 21:58

Morpheus wrote:
Cralis wrote:I got an email from Albireo not too long ago. He had some issues crop up but he's still working on it.

Any updates on the Excel version of the map?

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I haven't heard from him in a while, I hope he's ok.

I'm curious, did Albiero say whether he was using Excel to generate a hex grid as an Excel chart, or was he actually modifying the setup of the rectangular cells to support hexes?

I never asked. I presumed that you two were working that out...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Mon 21 Mar 2016 15:24

Cralis wrote:I'm sorry, I have no idea. I haven't heard from him in a while, I hope he's ok.

I haven't heard from him either, and I thought you might have. I sent him a PM, but it sounds like he may have disappeared. I also asked him if he could send me what he had and I could try and pick up where he left off.
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Mon 21 Mar 2016 17:27

If you look at Albireo's profile, under "contact Albireo" is a "email Albireo" option. It brings up a message form that you can use to send a message to his email through the forum.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Wed 23 Mar 2016 00:18

Cralis wrote:If you look at Albireo's profile, under "contact Albireo" is a "email Albireo" option. It brings up a message form that you can use to send a message to his email through the forum.

Thanks! I didn't know I could do that.
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Previous

Return to Original Starfire