System Data File query

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

System Data File query

Postby Caplin on Tue 01 Sep 2015 22:06

Hi All,

So the forms provided with New Empires are very nice, for the most part. I find them mostly self-explanatory, except for a few cryptic bits on the system data form I wondered if anybody could explain.

"Pop Eco./AT. R. ATT." I believe these are two or three separate columns, it's a bit hard to tell with my screen reader. Population is easy enough. I'm less clear on the other two entries. I thought R. might be resource exploitation, but that's noted elsewhere. Radian doesn't seem to be it either, since as far as I can see that isn't actually tracked anywhere on these forms.

Any ideas? Is it an OCR-generated typo? I'm really not finding anything super obvious, and my obsessive compulsive wants to know. ;)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: System Data File query

Postby LordKron on Wed 02 Sep 2015 07:40

Racial attitude?
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 02 Sep 2015 10:42

I'm a wee bit embarrassed to say that I don't remember...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Wed 02 Sep 2015 10:59

No worries. :) I'm sure it's been a long time since many folks have thought about this edition anyway.

Racial attitude makes sense, as much as anything, and I'm guessing eco./at is economic level. Not quite sure where "at" fits in: "attribute?"

I'm actually very impressed with the quality of all the PDFs I've gotten from the SDS, accessibility-wise. It's very rare to see proper tagged PDF, even from big name publishers of RPGs and the like. Thanks for not just giving me a scanned image with no OCR. :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby dazrand on Wed 02 Sep 2015 20:00

Glad the PDFs are at least passible for reading systems. The actual rebuild was, well, interesting at times.

I believe "R. ATT." is Racial Attributes. This would be the only place on the forms such details would be listed.

For "Eco./AT." I have scanned the rules heavily looking for what it might mean, but to no avail. I suggest (and expect this might be official if Cralis agrees) it means Ecology (should be Environment) and Atmosphere (from 1st edition) and would actually represent the habitability (either O or Habitable) as obliquely discussed in D3.314 and (most importantly) its tables. Again this is an important value which isn't listed elsewhere.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Wed 02 Sep 2015 20:21

Interesting. :)

I thought that would have been subsumed in the Type column, but I guess this is talking about something different. Looking at D3.314 seems to only distinguish between type T/ST and type O. D3.311 mentions others, though most of them aren't very useful.

I wonder if eco./at was left over from first edition? I've never read it. :)
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Return to Original Starfire