Original Starfire blew my mind

Home of the 1st and 2nd editions of STARFIRE

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Original Starfire blew my mind

Postby jbanes on Thu 14 Apr 2016 20:52

LordKron wrote:Actually, 2nd Ed came the closest with its version of GKW. You had the sector maps and IIRC a list of what forces were initially available.

@Cralis - Are there any plans to make GKW available for purchase? LordKron makes it sound pretty interesting.

I did look at the Stars at War book. It was cool as a scenario book, but I'm not sure if it really holds up to the ideal of training players on the game. The scenarios are repeats of the 1st / 2nd edition scenarios with increased complexity. Probably to spice them up a bit and show off the new rules?

Either way it's cool to see a full scenario book for Starfire. I enjoyed reading it. I'll have to see if I can run through some of the scenarios. Thanks for the pointer! :)
jbanes
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Thu 14 Apr 2016 23:07

jbanes wrote:
LordKron wrote:Actually, 2nd Ed came the closest with its version of GKW. You had the sector maps and IIRC a list of what forces were initially available.

@Cralis - Are there any plans to make GKW available for purchase? LordKron makes it sound pretty interesting.

Yes. We are currently waiting on a person to scan their pristine copy of GKW so we have good copies of the graphics.

I did look at the Stars at War book. It was cool as a scenario book, but I'm not sure if it really holds up to the ideal of training players on the game. The scenarios are repeats of the 1st / 2nd edition scenarios with increased complexity. Probably to spice them up a bit and show off the new rules?

The scenarios scale fairly well and the objectives are realistic, so it's pretty good. There are also scenarios in Crusade, Interstellar War 4, and Insurrection. But I'll warn you that the scenarios in the latter two are ridiculously huge.

Either way it's cool to see a full scenario book for Starfire. I enjoyed reading it. I'll have to see if I can run through some of the scenarios. Thanks for the pointer! :)

With more to come for newer versions...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Thu 14 Apr 2016 23:34

Cralis wrote:

The scenarios scale fairly well and the objectives are realistic, so it's pretty good. There are also scenarios in Crusade, Interstellar War 4, and Insurrection. But I'll warn you that the scenarios in the latter two are ridiculously huge.

I find most of the battles in the Stars at War book are excellent introductions to Starfire with increasing complexity. One of my favourite missions (and one I've run at conventions) is "Diamond cuts Diamond" from ISW2. It's a good, fairly balanced slugfest that tends to not take that long.

And as I have a copy of ISW4 and Insurrection, dear gods some of the battles in ISW4 are MASSIVE. Five digits worth of gunboats in some battles. You really, really, REALLY get a feel for just how insane the Arachnid Omnivoracity was to fight.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 14 Apr 2016 23:59

And for the record, we've found that using 10% of the ships listed in ISW4 makes for a much more manageable scenario. Still huge. But far more manageable.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby jbanes on Fri 15 Apr 2016 06:12

Cralis wrote:
jbanes wrote:\@Cralis - Are there any plans to make GKW available for purchase? LordKron makes it sound pretty interesting.

Yes. We are currently waiting on a person to scan their pristine copy of GKW so we have good copies of the graphics.

Yay! You guys are awesome! :)

Ok, you guys have convinced me. I'll give the Stars at War scenarios a shot. Maybe this weekend, even. After testing the new playmats, that is. Can't wait to see how the dice turn-down mechanic works out. :)
jbanes
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby LordKron on Fri 15 Apr 2016 16:07

The big difference is that the SaW scenarios are System Level. It won't make much of a difference in the early scenarios where the ship count is low, but down the road, you'll run into situations where your forces will be spread out (typically as the defender where you'll have pickets or defenses at WP's, but also as the attacker once you've gotten past the entry WP).
LordKron
Commander
Commander

Postby jbanes on Sat 16 Apr 2016 13:27

Art Baune sent me some awesome looking versions of my latest prototypes!

Unfortunately I can't do them proper justice with my B&W laser printer. Download the designs to see them in all their original glory.

You can download his designs at:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByZlsh73W0_SRURoQjJ3VkxaQVk&usp=sharing

A note on sizing

My prototypes are done on a 3x5 card with 1cm square blocks.

Art's protoypes are more detailed and designed to print on a 5x8 card with 1/2" squares.

After I printed Art's prototypes, I mounted them on some shipping box cardboard using a gluestick. That makes them nice and sturdy for play.

Purpose of dice

The die on each ship mat is a convenience mechanism for counting the number of engines. As the engines get destroyed the dice should be decremented (turned down) to match the number of undestroyed engines. While it's possible to build a ship with more than 6 engines, the original Starfire rules lack a hull that exceeds a speed of 6. In which case you should maintain the 6 until your engine count falls below 6.
jbanes
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby jbanes on Sun 17 Apr 2016 17:05

More pics of the latest protoype! Special thanks to my copy of Mint Tin Apocalypse for donating components. ;)

Trying to get my opponent to play. He's being lazy. :roll:
jbanes
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Previous

Return to Original Starfire