My first real-orbit

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Re: My first real-orbit

Postby Whitecold on Fri 04 Dec 2015 07:33

aramis wrote:For those unfamiliar with it, it' is worth noting that if your design is untenable, it may break apart on the pad, or fall over, or do other funky things...

Oh, and it's also possible to do a shuttlecock reentry...

With the new aerodynamics the shuttlecock is likely to undergo rapid unplanned disassembly in the atmosphere. On the upside, fairings now help a lot, and you can get that sleek rocket look on the launchpad without batteries and landing legs sticking out from your craft in every direction.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: My first real-orbit

Postby aramis on Mon 07 Dec 2015 02:58

Whitecold wrote:
aramis wrote:For those unfamiliar with it, it' is worth noting that if your design is untenable, it may break apart on the pad, or fall over, or do other funky things...

Oh, and it's also possible to do a shuttlecock reentry...

With the new aerodynamics the shuttlecock is likely to undergo rapid unplanned disassembly in the atmosphere. On the upside, fairings now help a lot, and you can get that sleek rocket look on the launchpad without batteries and landing legs sticking out from your craft in every direction.

My copy was purchased on steam just three months ago, so it's current.

My shuttlecock design, working top down:
standard width 1 kerbal cockpit (2m?)
Equipment bay, containing: 4 parachutes, 2 batteries and a reaction wheel.
large width crew pod (4 kerbal), sprouting 8 straight wing sections, each wing sporting a swept wing.

4 thrust-stacks attached to crew pod, with radial connectors, tied together for stability.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Kerbal Space Program