armed SS for WP defense?

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: armed SS for WP defense?

Postby procyon on Mon 29 Oct 2012 20:07

Cralis wrote:The bottom line on space stations is this: they can mount a LOT of weapons. But MCr for MCr, HS for HS, bases, asteroid forts, and ships will be more efficient simply because the SS can be ripped to pieces fairly quickly.

For the construction cost - this is true.
But when you go to SS vs BS on maint - not so clear.
With BS costing 3 1/2 times an equal MC SS in maint - the SS starts to look good.
And the fact that larger BS start to cost a lot per HS when a SS has a flat cost, the maint issue starts to build up.
They also both have the same range bonus.
And SS mil modules can use shield of 'off-side' modules to protect one that is under attack. If you are high enough to have shields that regen at a good rate (say 1 per round) and have Sra, then the five unassailed modules can make a stiff defense by 'throwing' their shield to protect the vulnerable module - and then regenerating theirs while another module takes over the 'assistance'.

And there is some issue with SS taking triple damage from R or K.
It doesn't say that they do anywhere.
And C6.01.8.1 says under one bullet

•The entire SS must drop the station-keeping drive to allow a ship to dock with it. The station-keeping drive is back online the tactical turn after docking is complete.

How can you drop the DF if it doesn't have one?
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Cralis on Mon 29 Oct 2012 23:12

procyon wrote:And there is some issue with SS taking triple damage from R or K.

*I* didn't say that they did.

And C6.01.8.1 says under one bullet

•The entire SS must drop the station-keeping drive to allow a ship to dock with it. The station-keeping drive is back online the tactical turn after docking is complete.

How can you drop the DF if it doesn't have one?

Where does it say DF? :)

But I went looking for space station's station keeping myself, but I don't see the rule either. Taking this to the SDS board.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Mon 29 Oct 2012 23:57

Cralis wrote:*I* didn't say that they did.

Never said you did. ;)

But some folks are talking about a vulnerability to missiles.
And I'm not sure they are any more vulnerable to missiles than they are to Pt, K, F, L....

Cralis wrote:But I went looking for space station's station keeping myself, but I don't see the rule either. Taking this to the SDS board.

Good call.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 30 Oct 2012 18:00

procyon wrote:•The entire SS must drop the station-keeping drive to allow a ship to dock with it. The station-keeping drive is back online the tactical turn after docking is complete.

This also contradicts D6.01 which says that that only way a SS (or BS or AF) can drop its DF is for repair.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 30 Oct 2012 18:52

procyon wrote:And there is some issue with SS taking triple damage from R or K.

If a SS has no DF to begin with D4.03.2 should apply. Warheads and K do triple damage to a unit without a DF due to being direct impacts.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby SCC on Fri 22 Mar 2013 04:05

If a Warp Point is associated with a planet instead of a star using several SS to cover it should be fairly easy.
If you get a Junction (I think) you get 6 WP's in a circle 20 tactical hexes out from the planet, building 12 SS's will ensure that 2 SS are in range of any given WP at any time, and if you're lucky 3 will be. And it gets worse as weapons get better or if there's any colonizable bodies in the area
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Previous

Return to Ultra Starfire