armed SS for WP defense?

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

armed SS for WP defense?

Postby rincewind on Wed 24 Oct 2012 16:58

This is just a what if idea. Evreybody know that WP defense BS and AF are probabley the cornerstones of their strategies. the advantage are olbvious, what with lower maintenance to extra HS because of no engines. Evreybody uses them. But my question is, why not and SS? It can have six millitary modules, each of can be the size of an AF. It can rotate modules so you can turn undamaged modules to face the enemy while the others regenerate shields. Also, instead of taking damage on a modules shield, you can just lose the same amount on 3 other modules, mainly, the ones facing away from the WP. So my question is, does anybody else think this could be a good WP defense strategy?
If you can't get rid off it by sending the Three Stooges over to it's side, then don't bother with anything else. It's indestructible.

-A ThreeStooges fan
rincewind
Captain
Captain

Re: armed SS for WP defense?

Postby krenshala on Wed 24 Oct 2012 17:55

Space stations require a planet, IIRC. While you could build them in deep space, I believe they would then orbit the star instead of staying with the WP as a DF equipped unit can do.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby rincewind on Wed 24 Oct 2012 18:11

Crud
Darn it, it seems like it is impossible to find a good use for armed SS!
If you can't get rid off it by sending the Three Stooges over to it's side, then don't bother with anything else. It's indestructible.

-A ThreeStooges fan
rincewind
Captain
Captain

Postby krenshala on Wed 24 Oct 2012 19:30

well, if its close in to the star, you could make a number of SS. they would slowly take turns guarding the WP as they orbited past. In theory, if you had enough (for the orbital distance) you would always have either one or two stations in range of anything that came through. ;)

this would be prohibitively expensive for any empire outside the inner system, however. ;)
-- krenshala

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 24 Oct 2012 19:34

SS are horribly vulnerable to missiles and tractors due to the lack of a DF.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby krenshala on Thu 25 Oct 2012 19:58

Thats their drawback to compensate for the additional possible space and improved range (due to no DF).
-- krenshala

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 25 Oct 2012 20:22

Properly designed military SS make excellent planetary defenses. They can mount far more weapons than lower EL bases and the targeting capacity to fire them at multiple targets effectively.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby krenshala on Thu 25 Oct 2012 20:26

Literally the sledge hammer in an egg shell. :D
-- krenshala

krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 25 Oct 2012 20:47

krenshala wrote:Literally the sledge hammer in an egg shell.

I prefer calling it a tissue paper fly swatter.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby rincewind on Sat 27 Oct 2012 09:06

Missile problem can be solved with a lot of S.

-A ThreeStooges fan
rincewind
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Ultra Starfire