armed SS for WP defense?

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: armed SS for WP defense?

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 27 Oct 2012 18:09

It becomes a balance issue. Defenses vs offensive weaponry, If you can't kill the intruders quick enough, they may elect to ignore the SS and send a couple of missile salvos at your planet.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 27 Oct 2012 18:17

The bottom line on space stations is this: they can mount a LOT of weapons. But MCr for MCr, HS for HS, bases, asteroid forts, and ships will be more efficient simply because the SS can be ripped to pieces fairly quickly.

Space stations are one of the few starting units that an empire can use to mount LARGE systems like shipyards or facilities. If you place those in your space stations, and you will, then they become even easier to destroy because the HTK is so much less. So you are better off building a fleet and not letting the enemy anywhere near your space stations.

If you really want large defending units, try looking into Asteroid Forts.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 27 Oct 2012 18:24

The question becomes how can a player build effective AF to protect a planet without the ability to tow the asteroids into position.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 27 Oct 2012 20:24

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:The question becomes how can a player build effective AF to protect a planet without the ability to tow the asteroids into position.

You get that ability pretty quickly. In a 'vanilla' game, a player is not likely to be attacked before EL2 or 3.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 28 Oct 2012 05:20

Yes, you get T early, The bigger question is building enough tugs to be able to drag the asteroids. If you're towing massive rocks, you're not using those ships to explore, place populations etc. You can build the bases in an AB but then they are not really protecting your population centers.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Elminster on Sun 28 Oct 2012 05:29

A unit can only be tractored from one other unit.
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby rincewind on Sun 28 Oct 2012 10:00

Even if the SS will not last long, throwing in weapons and passives will make it last longer, and possibly take a few of them with it.
If you can't get rid off it by sending the Three Stooges over to it's side, then don't bother with anything else. It's indestructible.

-A ThreeStooges fan
rincewind
Captain
Captain

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 28 Oct 2012 17:12

Elminster wrote:A unit can only be tractored from one other unit.

That seems to confirm my theory that AF at low EL's isn't very workable. Even CL(T)'s would have some issues towing a very large rock.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 28 Oct 2012 17:38

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Elminster wrote:A unit can only be tractored from one other unit.

That seems to confirm my theory that AF at low EL's isn't very workable. Even CL(T)'s would have some issues towing a very large rock.

Ah, but you can mount tractors on that AF and it can tractor multiple CL's. Think outside the Captain's Chair :)
This is the only way to make tractor chains in SSF, btw.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 28 Oct 2012 18:26

That works, but it still requires building the AF in place then towing them to their destination. You still need the ships to get the AF moving and that again takes them away from other duties. On the bright side, it does mean that I can recreate my Santa Claus groups. Eight tiny Reindeer class tugs towing a massive weapons filled sleigh.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Ultra Starfire