Crazy Experiment

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Crazy Experiment

Postby szurkey on Fri 21 Dec 2012 07:59

We've started a crazy experiment with Ultra. Open space map (very few warp points, everything is on a hex map), engines give that you the ability to jump to FTL speed if you are out side of the inner system and not too close to G or I planet, using the PCM modifier, and IU's are reduced to 25 MCr each (you have to be able to get a decent return on investment from somewhere). It's turn 10 and my CFN & IFN has about 180 Qv. The nearest habitable planet is 4 hexes away (4 Stmp), and I ran into my first NPR. I am dreading the thoughts of having to invade a habitable world. There just isn't the cargo capacity. Colonization is very slow and expensive because of the distance and lack of lift. We are also playing with fixed max PU for habitable planets (Benign 3600, Harsh 2400, Hostile 1200, mT Harsh 800, mT Hostile 400), and mT with a HAB +/- 2 are Harsh, +/- 5 are Hostile, and no EL PU bonus. Thankfully there is a mT VR Harsh in the binary component of my home star system!

Here's what my home system looks like, and yes I started in the second component, but that doesn't matter in this game:

System: 9 (Walewen) Binary Red Star Dist:17 sH / 12 White Star
Component A Red Star
5 ast
7 G - R 5 Mn VR R VR VR VR
9 G - P 1 Mn R
13 G -VR 2 Mn VR VR
13 mT -VR
21 I - R 2 Mn VR VR
21 O1m - R
37 I - R 4 Mn VR VR VR VR
Component B White Star
2 V - P
7 V - N 1 Mn VR
12 T6 - P 1 Mn VR No NPR
22 O2 -VR
42 G - P 4 Mn N R VR N
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Re: Crazy Experiment

Postby Crucis on Fri 21 Dec 2012 08:45

szurkey, your game sounds a little bit like one that GFFP started back when this board began. GFFP described his game in the "Dark Stars" subforum of the fiction forum. You might want to check it out to see what similarities and differences there are between your campaign and his. ====> http://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 21 Dec 2012 12:46

There are NO crazy experiments - just MAD scientists ! :shock:
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 21 Dec 2012 21:03

I've long thought about doing something like this, I just never got around to figuring out the best way to handle FTL travel. I'm definitely interested in knowing how this goes and what difficulties you encounter with the rules... some things I have already thought of, but I've found it's always the stuff you didn't think of that get's ya...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby szurkey on Sat 29 Dec 2012 14:13

Vandervecken wrote:There are NO crazy experiments - just MAD scientists ! :shock:

What about MAD engineers?
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Postby szurkey on Sat 29 Dec 2012 14:24

Cralis wrote:I've long thought about doing something like this, I just never got around to figuring out the best way to handle FTL travel. I'm definitely interested in knowing how this goes and what difficulties you encounter with the rules... some things I have already thought of, but I've found it's always the stuff you didn't think of that get's ya...

We've completed 15 turns and so far it is going okay. The biggest problem is lift and cost for colonization. Systems are much farther apart, each hex is 1 Stmp. The game maps is hexagonal hex map with 1 hex in the center where the homeworld is, and 8 rings, for a total of 217 hexes. Fill density is 11.06%, but that is a bit over EV of 10%. I wish it was more like 15% to 20%. Not all star systems have habitable planets, the OIII (blue giant) I surveyed was a total bust - nothing useful. I've run into one other power, although we have yet to have full communication, we haven't started shooting at each other either. I'll have to see about getting either a personal web page or photo account so I can post images. I dread the thought of a planetary invasion. The Qv and H demands are going to be very ugly.
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Sat 29 Dec 2012 14:41

szurkey wrote:We've completed 15 turns and so far it is going okay. The biggest problem is lift and cost for colonization. Systems are much farther apart, each hex is 1 Stmp.

Ouch. So yeah, return on investment is going to be low enough that IUs and - ouch - especially building FTs for leasing should be much more profitable.

The game maps is hexagonal hex map with 1 hex in the center where the homeworld is, and 8 rings, for a total of 217 hexes. Fill density is 11.06%, but that is a bit over EV of 10%. I wish it was more like 15% to 20%. Not all star systems have habitable planets, the OIII (blue giant) I surveyed was a total bust - nothing useful.

The nice thing about that is that it gives you space for maneuver at the strategic level. I'm curious though, do you allow for the detection of enemy fleets in other hexes?

I've run into one other power, although we have yet to have full communication, we haven't started shooting at each other either. I'll have to see about getting either a personal web page or photo account so I can post images. I dread the thought of a planetary invasion. The Qv and H demands are going to be very ugly.

Yeah, which makes conquest even worse and makes GFFP a much better proposition. You might consider reducing transport costs, although time will always be an issue. I'm curious, do you allow for 1 month negotiations between empires or do you actually track the time it would take to move messages between them? (ie. if there are 16 hexes between you, it would take an average speed 4 FT at least 4 months to carry a message)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby szurkey on Sun 30 Dec 2012 06:54

Cralis wrote:Ouch. So yeah, return on investment is going to be low enough that IUs and - ouch - especially building FTs for leasing should be much more profitable.

IU's are priced at 25 MCr each. They are a solid investment: ROI - 1% for growth = 3%. The problem with building freighters, is that with the PCM modifier at 0.2, you can't have very many H and Qv.

Cralis wrote:The nice thing about that is that it gives you space for maneuver at the strategic level. I'm curious though, do you allow for the detection of enemy fleets in other hexes?

Hexes are 1 LY across, so no. You have to have a ship there. I'm praying I get a breakthrough for courier drones soon. I'm very hesitant to colonize extensively outside of the home system because of the lack of info. Just outposts on habitable planets, or the best non-habitable for systems without any habitable worlds. I am trying to build up the T-Benign that is 4 hexes away to 500 PU as fast as possible, but it isn't even to 100 PU yet.

Cralis wrote:Yeah, which makes conquest even worse and makes GFFP a much better proposition. You might consider reducing transport costs, although time will always be an issue. I'm curious, do you allow for 1 month negotiations between empires or do you actually track the time it would take to move messages between them? (ie. if there are 16 hexes between you, it would take an average speed 4 FT at least 4 months to carry a message)

GFFP is not an option because there is not the shipping capacity to recolonize. With a T-Benign-VR 4 hexes away, 2x T-Benign (one VP, the other VR) 5 hexes away, and a mT-Harsh-R (with three Ast) 6 hexes away, I already have way more to colonize than I have lift to do it. I have a CTf armed with an Ra in his home system negotiating, and a FT0 courier running messages back and forth. I'll have an Outpost of 10 PU next door to him emplaced on turn 16.
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 30 Dec 2012 09:39

Consider FTL Commo if you have FTL ship capability. They should go hand-in-hand in most universes, eh ??
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby szurkey on Sun 30 Dec 2012 12:33

Vandervecken wrote:Consider FTL Commo if you have FTL ship capability. They should go hand-in-hand in most universes, eh ??

Not in the Universe we're doing. It's the Honor Harrington / Traveller idea where you have to send a ship... I'm rather worried that if they find my home systems, they could do the "shot to the head." Good news is they are limited to supply range, 1 full turn of Stmp's (4 hexes currently). There will be a few warp points, but I haven't found one yet. So it is more Honor Harrington than Traveller.

I'm looking at investing into Asteroid Forts to defend my homeworld, and the mT in the binary component... Upto 1,000 HS, only 3% maintenance, and its not on the surface of the planet. By the way, there are also no fighters or gunboats, but drones are legal if you develop the tech.
szurkey
Commander
Commander

Next

Return to Ultra Starfire