Prototype Shipyard Spreadsheet

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Prototype Shipyard Spreadsheet

Postby Xveers on Thu 08 Aug 2013 02:50

Heylo!

One of the things I was working out on for the last little while was a replacement for the shipyard program. I understand that SDS is indeed working on something, but let's be honest. It's not out yet, and it's nice to have something that at least kinda works :)

So, I'm putting this thing out to a bit of a semi-private beta test. It more or less works, and I'm doing updates and tweaks to correct the more... interesting flaws that I've found, but I need more victims/testers!

One thing is though, it has the full tech tree for ULTRA. So I'm not going to just spam a download link and call it that. So I'm lifting a little thing from old-school copy protection. For a copy, please private message me the completion of this sentence and a valid email address:

TFNS Los Angeles
Ultra rules, page 108, N10.01
"They may also..."

(also, bonus points to anyone who gets the old game I stole this reference from :D )
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Prototype Shipyard Spreadsheet

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 08 Aug 2013 08:46

Any chance for a SOLAR version , I know you are most familiar with Ultra, but the new(er) blood has needs too.

I'm sure many will greatly appreciate your work in that area. Thanks. It will be helpful for the Players and speed up the Ultra GM's check-work on player designs.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Thu 08 Aug 2013 10:18

When I scanned through the spreadsheet I used for ULTRA compared to Solar I didn't see any tech differences (cost/hull spaces) at low SLs. Anyone know how many changes there might have been to the tech items?

The spreadsheet I use just makes it easier to build ships not type in codes and verify their costs which is what I really loved about shipyard. Does this spreadsheet support that?
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 08 Aug 2013 11:45

Military ships now pay 3 for H and 2 for Hs come to mind off the top of my head. Only Weak hulled vessels now pay 1 for H and Hs.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Xveers on Thu 08 Aug 2013 15:05

Vandervecken wrote:Any chance for a SOLAR version , I know you are most familiar with Ultra, but the new(er) blood has needs too.

I'm sure many will greatly appreciate your work in that area. Thanks. It will be helpful for the Players and speed up the Ultra GM's check-work on player designs.

That's actually the final goal, to have something functional for SOLAR (the biggest change of which will be to rebuild the module data to have the SOLAR components. Which effectively is a line by line review of the tech sheet). I'll also have to re-build certian components and coding to handle module differences between ULTRA and SOLAR, but rebuilding and adapting the code will be substantially easier than having to learn the changes in the rules AND figure out how to make virgin code at the same time. Probably. :twisted:

PracticalM wrote:The spreadsheet I use just makes it easier to build ships not type in codes and verify their costs which is what I really loved about shipyard. Does this spreadsheet support that?

The basis of the spreadsheet, the core of the design setup is a small input table where each row handles one discrete system in some multiple, with everything calculated out from there. So for example (with each "," indicating the next column over) three La's would be "5,La,3". The 5 at the beginning is my cheat for being able to re-order things by using the Excel ability to box select some cells and then tell it to sort them by increasing order. That way you can design a ship and then at the last moment , whn you realize that you need to give it a Za, you can just enter it in on the last line. I've also set it up this way because if you just insert a new line half-way through, the inserting command doen't replicate the code that's elsewhere in the line that's all rather key to making the thing work. It's one of those "easier to see and understand than explain via text" kinda things :)

Now, that being said, the spreadsheet handles a lot of the basic ship design stuff, and has the coding to handle most systems up to... SL 8 or so? The main difficulty it has so far is that it dosen't handle systems that have a fractional size that's dependant on total engine rooms or ship hull size. But I have a plan to get that to work; it's just not coded yet. It's also missing some of the warning and error checking that Shipyard had (mainly to do with launch/boat bays and hull sizes), but it will check for weapon range/sensors, required H/Q systems, and # of installed systems versus the declared size of the hull.

Also, it DOES NOT USE MACROS.

Lastly, it's still very much a prototype thing. The interface is relative crap, and it has a ton of read-outs for relevent and semi-relevant design data.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Sun 15 Sep 2013 05:13

Observed bugs with the attached design with known solution if any below:
  • Incorrect MSS listed in the output at the top*
  • Incorrect survey points per StMP listed in the output at the top*
  • Number and capacity of holds is only calculated for one hold, not two**
  • Half-size engine doesn't factor into max speed calculations***

*: The MIN function is picking up the zeros from all of the non-survey equipment. Solution: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 114AAzKbdW
**: The hold capacity on each row needs to be multiplied by the number of holds installed.

Surveyor Alpha-class ES 0-(XOa) 11 HS / 8 TS
[2] SAAHH(Bsa)XaIcasQa(Ica) [3/3]
Trg:1 Cost: 109 / 16.4 SL1
10 HTK

EDIT: Now that I'm out of bug reporting mode, maybe I should add this: Thanks for the sheet! It's a nice convenience to have, especially while I'm puzzling over how to do this in the first place.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Return to Ultra Starfire