Initial Fleet Design

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Initial Fleet Design

Postby Moonsword on Sun 15 Sep 2013 06:31

I'm working on building an initial fleet and would like a little feedback on the ships I'm designing. The basic technologies chosen were I engines, R as my LRW, and L as my SRW, although I'm kind of waffling on that and going over to force beams. On the other hand, the more compact size lets me stuff more of them into a hull. Decisions, decisions...

SRW Combatants
Smallsword Alpha-class CT 16 HS / 16 TS
[2] SAAH(Ia)La(Ia)QaLa(Ia) [6/3]
Trg:1 Cost: 201 / 30.2 SL1 {ULTRA}
10 HTK S0x1 A0x2 Lax2

Rapier Alpha-class DD 30 HS / 30 TS
[3] SSAx4H(IaIaIa)LaQaLa(Ia)QaLaLa(Ia) [5/2]
Trg:1 Cost: 392 / 58.8 SL1 {ULTRA}
18 HTK S0x2 A0x4 Lax4

LRW Combatants
Guerilla Alpha-class CT 16 HS / 16 TS
[2] SSAH(Ia)Ra(Ia)QaRa(Ia) [6/3]
Trg:1 Cost: 209 / 31.4 SL1 {ULTRA}
10 HTK S0x2 A0x1 Rax2 (20 missiles)

Spotter Alpha-class CT 16 HS / 16 TS
[2] SSSAAH(Ia)Mg(Ia)YaQaRa(Ia) [6/3]
Trg:1 Cost: 215 / 32.3 SL1 {ULTRA}
13 HTK S0x3 A0x2 Rax1 (70 missiles)

Marksman Alpha-class DD 30 HS / 30 TS
[3] Sx4Ax4H(Ia)(Ia)(Ia)RaQaYaMg(Ia)QaRaRa(Ia) [5/2]
Trg:1 Cost: 412 / 61.8 SL1 {ULTRA}
21 HTK S0x4 A0x4 Rax3 + Mg (90 missiles)

Marksman Leader Alpha-class DD 30 HS / 30 TS
[3] SSSAx4H(IaIaIa)QaYaRa(Ia)Mg(CICa)QaRa(Ia) [5/2]
Trg:1 Cost: 418 / 62.7 SL1 {ULTRA}
20 HTK S0x3 A0x4 Rax2 + Mg (80 missiles)
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Re: Initial Fleet Design

Postby procyon on Mon 16 Sep 2013 16:30

Nice designs.
I would change the Geurilla Class slightly. I would drop a S or A and add in a Ya or it won't be able to fully utilize the Ra. To keep your HTK up I would swap the H for an Hs and Mgs. That will give you an extra 24 missiles.
These changes will cost a bit, but where those little LRW CTs shine is when facing down SRW ES/CTs in deep space. They just hold the range open and rain in missiles till the SRW ships lose an engine and can no longer run down the big LRW ships.

Otherwise nice job.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby PracticalM on Mon 16 Sep 2013 16:50

I'm happy to comment on ship build styles. Be aware that everyone fights differently and if your battle style works with your opponents then you should go with your experience instead of my experience.

Smallsword
I tend to place more defense on these and only 1 weapon because these can be mission killed when they get slowed down.

Rapier
If this is a WP assault ship you probably could move all the engines except the last one to use as armor. The first Qa can be moved forward as well.

Guerilla
Doesn't seem to have a Ya?

Spotter
I would use a Mgs instead of a full Mg

Marksman
Mg can be forward and the first Qa as well.

Marksman Leader
I always have a hard time with CIC ships I tend to keep them out of battle with the Yc ship (when I get them) For ships this small, it's always too obvious which ship the leader is on. I tend to build them as Fast CTs so they can run when it goes bad.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Mon 16 Sep 2013 18:50

@Procyon
Thanks but I didn't just luck into something. The designs have a lot of influence from krenshala's NPR designs in particular. I combed through that thread getting some ideas and learning a little more before I sat down to spec out the Marksman. I weighted the missile ships more heavily to shields, with heavier armor on the Rapier. To some extent that's my own preference for the SRW role with lasers potentially in play but I also think of it as the naval engineers indulging in a little too much mirror imaging when they're projecting possible threat technologies.

I was kind of uncertain on the Guerilla class lacking sensors, to be honest. Their lack of Ya was deliberate - by doctrine they're supposed to get sensor support from other members of their flotilla, typically Spotters - but I really like switching the hold out and using an Mgs and Hs. I've already made a similar swap on the Marksmen designs for another shield. If I move to give them Ya, I may not build many if any Spotters.

@PracticalM
I do like the suggestion on the Rapier and Smallsword. I'll think about moving the magazine forward. I want at least one of the Qa installations back to maintain at least some survivability for the crew in case of emergency but without more exposure to the game than I have, I don't know how practical that is.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 16 Sep 2013 19:48

Moonsword wrote:I was kind of uncertain on the Guerilla class lacking sensors, to be honest. Their lack of Ya was deliberate - by doctrine they're supposed to get sensor support from other members of their flotilla, typically Spotters - but I really like switching the hold out and using an Mgs and Hs. I've already made a similar swap on the Marksmen designs for another shield. If I move to give them Ya, I may not build many if any Spotters.

Until you have datalink, the Ya on other ships won't enable your Guerilla-class ships to target. The data you can receive over non-datalink channels is only enough to let you know the enemy is there but not enough for targeting.

Of course, datalink comes pretty quickly so that will soon not be a problem.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Moonsword on Tue 17 Sep 2013 10:41

Cralis wrote:Until you have datalink, the Ya on other ships won't enable your Guerilla-class ships to target. The data you can receive over non-datalink channels is only enough to let you know the enemy is there but not enough for targeting.

Of course, datalink comes pretty quickly so that will soon not be a problem.

Thanks! For the time being, I'll probably put it on there and revisit the question once I'm able to deploy datalink.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby PracticalM on Tue 17 Sep 2013 18:18

As long as you have 1 Qa left it doesn't really matter when they die. Unless your opponent is attacking and damaging you just enough to kill your Qa and then disengage. And if they can do that then they have a huge speed/range advantage.

Yes you may have a few ships with insufficient life support when the battle is over but placing Qa forward protects your weapons just that little bit more.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby procyon on Wed 18 Sep 2013 19:41

And you always have a chance after the battle to get it online again with Emergency Repairs ( in E ).
Just make sure the repair ship is handy.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Return to Ultra Starfire