Towing Bases

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Towing Bases

Postby skurdzh on Wed 08 Jan 2014 11:54

Ok, here is a question that may be completely obvious, but I'm posting it to get a definitive, authoritative answer:

Can Bases be towed through WP's?

The sources of possible confusion:
A6.02, Base--"Bases are not capable of warp transits but have station-keeping drives."
A6.01, Station-Keeping--"A unit whose engines can only operate in standby engine mode is said to be Station-Keeping. It allows a unit to remain in place or orbit while having DF protection."
A8.03, paragraph 5: "Warp points. . .will desroy units of objects without sufficient drive-field strength to protect them (such as missiles, fighters, etc.) Units without at least one functioning engine room are destroyed when they attempt to transit."

So, Bases obviously cannot transit WP's by themselves, because they cannot move. But, they can be tractored and towed; and, they do have engines/drives, albeit only station-keeping, that provide them with DF's. Then, the question becomes whether a Base's DF is strong enough to protect them or are they in the etc. category.
skurdzh
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Re: Towing Bases

Postby Cralis on Wed 08 Jan 2014 13:54

I'm at work and don't have the rules in front of me so I can't give you the exact rule, but there is a rule in the tractor rules of Section E that specifically states units on tractors cannot be pushed or pulled into WP, even if they want to be.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby SCC on Wed 08 Jan 2014 14:54

Cralis is right, here's that section from the current SSF rules:

E5.04
Tractor Beams and Warp Points
Warp points are finite points that require the entering unit’s DF to be a specific shape. Tractor beams don’t have the ability to change the shape of the tractored unit’s DF, and thus they cannot be used to push or pull a unit through a warp point.

Additionally BSg are at 10* HS when transiting WP, so normal BS would be even worse
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 08 Jan 2014 18:44

Thank you SCC!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby skurdzh on Thu 09 Jan 2014 04:16

Thanks, I had been looking in the wrong section for the answer. The specific line I was looking for was in E5.04.1: "A base will be destroyed if it enters a WP, . . ." The more I reread A, the more I doubted my memory.
skurdzh
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby Albireo on Thu 09 Jan 2014 06:41

Also A8.02 Transit Limits 4 th paragraph.
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Return to Ultra Starfire