Password security on the Ultra PDFs?

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Password security on the Ultra PDFs?

Postby Dogbarian on Wed 27 Jul 2016 11:08

Haven't touched them in a while, but I do have the Ultra_4_2009 files. I was looking at getting back into things, and in fact, just ordered the full CD package of Ultra, Solar and the whole 9 yards. One of the things I wanted to be able to do before was place comments or sticky notes into the PDF to call out errata/corrections, or where I was changing something via a home rule. The security on the PDFs blocks that. It only allows printing. I'm not interested in killing any more trees, and prefer electronic copies anyway for things like searching and using the hyperlinks.

Was this security level ever changed or removed completely? If it was, will that mean that the CD package will include the updated PDFs? If so, I'm willing to wait for that to arrive. And in fact, if it hasn't been printed yet (the email said it takes 7 to 10 days to process physical orders), then could you please change the security on the PDF files to allow commenting?

And are the Solar PDF(s) set to the same security?

And if not, can you please make a set of the PDF files for both Ultra and Solar with the security changed to allow commenting (or even removed completely) available for download? If it means paying more for such a download, I would certainly be willing to consider a reasonable fee for something I've already purchased. Emphasis on reasonable here, I feel like I'm being punished for choosing to keep it electronic instead of printing it out and modifying from there.
Clarke: Any sufficiently advanced technology is virtually indistinguishable from magic.
Player 1: I want some of those +5 magic dreadnoughts!

Personal motto: Nothing is impossible, given enough explosives and small cute puppies.
Dogbarian
Captain
Captain

Re: Password security on the Ultra PDFs?

Postby Cralis on Thu 28 Jul 2016 08:06

Honestly, we've never had anyone ask for this feature. Dazrand tells me this (allowing comments only) is certainly something we can do, but he won't be able to get to it until next week.

Is this a feature that we should allow on all future PDFs? Does anyone else want this?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Dogbarian on Thu 28 Jul 2016 08:57

I guess it depends on what most folks do - whether they print them out or refer to them in electronic form, like I prefer. If you use them in electronic form, then allowing comments would be the best way to add errata notes until a fresh/corrected/updated PDF is put back out.
Clarke: Any sufficiently advanced technology is virtually indistinguishable from magic.

Personal motto: Nothing is impossible, given enough explosives and small cute puppies.
Dogbarian
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Thu 28 Jul 2016 13:10

That's actually a great idea. Plus you can mark your own notes and house rules too.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby drtetrode on Fri 29 Jul 2016 16:27

I would like to see the comments on PDFs, too.

Scott ;-)
Save early, save often!
drtetrode
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Sunwolf on Sun 31 Jul 2016 08:16

Definitely agree it would be a nice feature, but if implementing it would delay the next revision of the Solar Starfire rules significantly I would say wait until those rules are done and out, if it is unlikely to affect their release much because its fairly unrelated go for it.
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Dogbarian on Wed 03 Aug 2016 16:54

Just to follow up on this, I got my CD of the Ultimate package over the weekend, and the Solar rules on that (release 6.02.201307, according to page 1) are already open for commenting. I did have to save a copy to my hard drive to save the comment, since of course the CD is read-only. :)

The Ultra rules are not, but I'm going to be moving over to Solar quickly (unless I find something jarringly different, which I did not see in my first skim through).

So I think this is covered. And much appreciated!

Dogbarian
Captain
Captain

Postby aramis on Fri 05 Aug 2016 02:28

Cralis wrote:Honestly, we've never had anyone ask for this feature. Dazrand tells me this (allowing comments only) is certainly something we can do, but he won't be able to get to it until next week.

Is this a feature that we should allow on all future PDFs? Does anyone else want this?

In general, I unlock every PDF I buy, specifically because certain devices I read them on benefit from trimming the margins. Not needing to do so would be useful.

Unlockers are readily available online, highly effective, and pretty fast... but not having to use one would be appreciated.

Locking PDFs is pretty much not a disincentive to piracy, but is a disincentive to legitimate use.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 05 Aug 2016 02:48

If we left editing open then it was unintentional. But Aramis, your point is well taken. It does seem that way whether we are talking about books, games, music, or PDFs.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Mon 22 Aug 2016 00:27

Cralis wrote:If we left editing open then it was unintentional. But Aramis, your point is well taken. It does seem that way whether we are talking about books, games, music, or PDFs.

The hackers have workarounds for just about every DRM solution available.
Many times, those solutions are available for free, if you can compile the source.
DRM doesn't stop the hackers; it barely slows them down. (It's usually 2-3 weeks from a new Paizo release to it being available on the hacker sites.)

I've been monitoring 4chan and 7chan for years for pirate links.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to Ultra Starfire