ULTRA Rules Typo Reporting

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: ULTRA Rules Typo Reporting

Postby Cralis on Thu 31 May 2012 23:58

TerryTigre wrote:In rule W5.05.5 on page 172 a note is added at the end of the section.

A race that has not previously detect a WP in a cluster

Detect would probably be better as detected.

The whole point was that a race won't recognize a WP in an AB unless it has seen one before.

So perhaps it would be clearer if instead of cluster shroud was used (which is present in W5.05.5) or at least a cluster of astroids is used.

Possibly shroud was used in W5.05.5 to avoid confusion with W8.06 and the note still uses the old terminology?

That's a possibility, and you are probably right.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: ULTRA Rules Hyperlink obscures notes on weapons tables

Postby fiddlesticks43 on Sun 06 Oct 2013 23:15

Back in 2010 this problem was noted:
Elminster wrote:In the _ApxEE_Tables.pdf the weapon tables somtimes have boxes with related special rules. In these boxes there are the rule references as links. Some of them are badly placed and override the information below.

Especialy in the Laser Beam table the link hides the FRU/FRD information.

Elminster

Was this ever fixed? I ordered and rec'd my copy of Ultra in Dec 2012 and my copy still has this problem BUT my copy says its last modification date was 04/11/2009. Is this the most up to date copy of Ultra?

Scott
fiddlesticks43
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Vandervecken on Mon 07 Oct 2013 01:13

fiddlesticks43,

You may not have noticed but SOLAR Starfire (The latest version of Starfire, 6th Edition compared to Ultra's 5th Edition) came out in February of 2012. Didn't you buy it when you got Ultra? You may see some things that need to be corrected in Ultra here in this forum, but you'll have to hand change any corrections as now that SOLAR is active, SDS does not have time to put considerable effort into an old product. They do keep this forum for Ultra going for those who just can't switch to the new rules. But that is about all they can or will do.

Now that Solar is out though SDS should probably pull the underlined part from the Ultra description:

In ULTRA all rulebooks and documents have been fully integrated into a cross-linked set of electronic documents (PDF). Occasional errata, updates, and other corrections will be made but with an electronic document the rules can be sent again to the players who purchased ULTRA STARFIRE.

As it now really applies to just SOLAR Starfire from what I've heard.

P.S. It would take an immense amount of work IMHO to both udate and try to keep Ultra "Ultra-ish", as most of the items both in the Ultra Rules typos (and issues) forum and those that SDS found on their own , were incorperated into SOLAR (Including hundreds of minor rule and grammar fixes, if you also include Solar version 6.00 thru 6.01 and now at 6.02). There was a reason that at least 9 months before you bought Ultra, that SDS offered SOLAR to be purchased. Like Ultra was to Galactic (4th Edition), lots of good things happened to make the game better with each change.

By the way, welcome to your first post on the Boards, Fiddlesticks. We still have some peple who play Ultra exclusively, along with a contingent who prefer 3rd edition (revised). So if Ultra is your choice, there are people here who can help with any questions you run into.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby fiddlesticks43 on Mon 07 Oct 2013 18:20

Howdy Vandervecken.

I did get Solar also when I purchased the Ultimate pack, but I was under the impression that the two products are parallel developments: ULTRA was going to be a background-independent rules system forever and Solar was going to incorporate a background and as such in the future could see rule changes to make it setting specific rather than staying forever "generic".

If Solar is also meant to supersede ULTRA as the "current rules set" that's great by me.

Thanks for the heads up.
fiddlesticks43
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Mon 07 Oct 2013 19:35

Vandervecken wrote:Now that Solar is out though SDS should probably pull the underlined part from the Ultra description:

When we ever update ULTRA, we'll probably do that. Right now Marvin has no plans to further update ULTRA. That being said, since we have been slowly cleaning up and tying up loose ends on older products, we'll probably get around to doing the same for ULTRA at some point.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Ultra Starfire