Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby Xveers on Thu 22 Apr 2010 19:14

Heya.

Thanks to the fuss, I took a look at the example for G7.05, and I think it could use a bit of clarification. My Proposed change would be:

Example G7.05
A green fighter squadron attacks with Le at medium range and rolls an 8.
It is then modified as follows:
- -1 for medium range
- +1 for being a fighter squadron
- -1 for being L
- +2 for being "e" generation (2nd generation)

The modified roll is 9.
Since it's a green crew, it loses 10% of its effectiveness, becoming 8.1
8.1 divided by 2 is 4.05, and this is rounded up to 5, the amount of damage done.

If the target was a gunboat then:
8.1 divided by 2, multiplied by 2 is 8.1, rounded up to 9, the amount of damage done to the gunboats.

Where the first little - is instead some kind of bullet point.

The second thing I've noticed while writing this out is that this is a persnickity rule for tabletop, what with handling decimal fractions. It's also a bit redundant in a spot. Divide by two and then multiply by two? I think we can clean that up a bit.

First off, I would instead say, after the crew grade mod is done:
If the target is a gunboat squadron, then round up the result.
Otherwise, divide the result by 2 and round up.

And then add into the text above the table "Note: Gunboats are vulnerable to small craft, especially fighters"

If this gets done, the example would need a bit of rewording at the end, of course.

Personally, I'd also like to see that rounding get moved to a bit more logical a spot, though I know that would impact damage output by a point either way. But I'm not sure. It just bugs me where it's placed from a logic/flow perspective :P
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby Xveers on Thu 22 Apr 2010 19:28

Also, noticed something regarding sending gunboats through warp points:
G8 says that each squadron is handled as 8 HS regardless of generation. However, they are also not immune to interpenetration, and must make a roll for every 10 DP transiting.

So, how does THIS work? The GBb is 36 DP, so based on the wording it may have to roll to interpenetrate if it goes through all by itself. We all know gunboats are disposable, but this might be a bit much.

So, can gunboats transit as normal & so long as they do not overload the WP's normal transit size, all is well? Do they have to roll to interpenetrate even by themselves? When they interpenetrate do squadrons wipe each other out, or just take some unspecified damage?

I can model this a bunch of different ways, but I don't have a clue which way to go.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Tamjiri on Thu 22 Apr 2010 19:53

I have an upcoming WP assault where I plan to send GBb through in the vanguard so an answer to this question will impact how I do the assault. Thus can we get a clarification of the rule please.

Steve C.
Tamjiri
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby krenshala on Fri 23 Apr 2010 00:17

Even GBa squadrons are 30DP each ...

Personally, I'd go with the rule of once you exceed the capacity and interpenetration is a risk you pair up the GB and roll. Since a GBx is a squadron of x generation GB then it is always going to be squadrons interpenetrating (since I can't find anything that specifies how large an individual GB or fighter is).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Sat 24 Apr 2010 08:18

What I've always done is, as long as the GB units transiting doesn't exceed the capacity of the WP, things are fine.

Once the GB units exceed the WP capacity, count each 10 DP of a GB unit as a small craft for the purposes of C4.04.2.2

So if a Ship and a GBa unit transited a WP and this exceeded the capacity, then 2 pairs are generated the ship and a 10DP part of the GBa and 2 10DP parts of the GBa unit.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby krenshala on Sat 24 Apr 2010 11:33

I could have sworn teh rules listed how many individual ships were in a Gunboat and Fighter squadron at some point. When I was looking yesterday, however, I couldn't find it. I know you buy them as squadrons, but knowing that number would be helpful for times like a simul-transit.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Sat 24 Apr 2010 11:46

krenshala wrote:I could have sworn teh rules listed how many individual ships were in a Gunboat and Fighter squadron at some point. When I was looking yesterday, however, I couldn't find it. I know you buy them as squadrons, but knowing that number would be helpful for times like a simul-transit.

3rd was 4 & 6, respectively.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 24 Apr 2010 12:38

Of course it doesn't matter since there is no mechanism in ULTRA for combining individual fighters and gunboats into new squadrons. ULTRA pretty much ignores individuals for simplicity.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Crucis on Sat 24 Apr 2010 13:29

Cralis wrote:Of course it doesn't matter since there is no mechanism in ULTRA for combining individual fighters and gunboats into new squadrons. ULTRA pretty much ignores individuals for simplicity.

Simplicity? :lol:
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Sat 24 Apr 2010 15:08

The concept is that you can define your own number of small craft per squadron.

The reason to use DP is that it's a defined value.

Using DP does seem odd because other simultaneous transit collisions destroys the whole unit
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to Ultra Starfire