Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Fighter SRW Weapons Example/Discussion:

Postby BillW on Thu 10 Feb 2011 22:46

Cralis wrote:
wievil wrote:Kewl, and thanks for the update.

Wievil

Its no problem, just trying to stay ahead of the projects AND try and keep information flowing out to you guys :)

I'll put in a big THANKS for that. :D
I know it has to take up a very large amount of your free time.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 10 Feb 2011 23:39

I appreciate the thanks Bill, but really it should go to the whole SDS. Krenshala and Dazrand are working just as hard (or harder). Marvin is working hard at cracking the whip :lol: I'll start taking some thanks as soon as we get the next version out... on time.

Sound like a deal? :)

But back to Fighters and other small craft, yeah there is still a LOT to do with them. I pretty much view the ULTRA small craft as being in a pretty basic form. I think there is a lot more that could be done with them. All in due time.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby wievil on Wed 17 Jul 2013 14:30

PracticalM wrote:
Cralis wrote:Of course it doesn't matter since there is no mechanism in ULTRA for combining individual fighters and gunboats into new squadrons. ULTRA pretty much ignores individuals for simplicity.

Um G1.04 allows you to combine Fighters and Gunboats into a single new squadron with the sum of the DP from the 2 damaged squadrons (up to max DP of the squadron generation.

In F3.09 {Ultra} (Ultra is what I have handy at the moment); If two Fighter or Gunboat squadrons in question each had only taken 6 DP then combining them would move 6 CP along with the 6 DP from one squadron to the other (effectively those CP would disappear) and require replacement crew points when neither squadron required crew replacement, merely repair.

Similarly any consolidation under G1.04 {Ultra} that results in one squadron with more than 70% of full strength for FQa (more than 80% for GBa) will force the loss of up to 6 CP per consolidated squadron.

Is my understanding correct? If it is I'm personally not happy that my graded BG+2 (or higher) smallcraft CP are disappearing only to be replaced by anything down to BG-2 CP.
wievil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 17 Jul 2013 19:37

wievil wrote:
PracticalM wrote:
Cralis wrote:Of course it doesn't matter since there is no mechanism in ULTRA for combining individual fighters and gunboats into new squadrons. ULTRA pretty much ignores individuals for simplicity.

Um G1.04 allows you to combine Fighters and Gunboats into a single new squadron with the sum of the DP from the 2 damaged squadrons (up to max DP of the squadron generation.

In F3.09 {Ultra} (Ultra is what I have handy at the moment); If two Fighter or Gunboat squadrons in question each had only taken 6 DP then combining them would move 6 CP along with the 6 DP from one squadron to the other (effectively those CP would disappear) and require replacement crew points when neither squadron required crew replacement, merely repair.

I believe that is correct. The crew system is very abstract in ULTRA for simplicity and even though you don't see "pilot losses" from only a few DP of damage, it is assumed that there are still losses. Thus, when you move squadrons together it requires "filling up" the squadron with crew as if you have built it new.

It is to prevent an exploit where you could continuously combine squadrons without ever needing replacement crew, but at the same time not requiring the player to track every single possible crew loss for small amounts of damage. Basically, if you take minor damage that doesn't destroy what we consider "a whole fighter or gunboat", then you might lose a crew or two but not enough to make the craft ineffective. Once your squadrons start taking damage equivalent to whole craft, then your crew plummets precipitously and MUST be replaced.

There is an additional factor that is also abstracted in that different squadrons being meshed together is going to take a hit on combat capability because the crews are unfamiliar with each other. A good portion of "crew experience" is the crew knowing each other and anticipating their needs and actions and that is lost when you combine different crews. It's worse if the new "incoming" crew is also just inexperienced...

Similarly any consolidation under G1.04 {Ultra} that results in one squadron with more than 70% of full strength for FQa (more than 80% for GBa) will force the loss of up to 6 CP per consolidated squadron.

Is my understanding correct? If it is I'm personally not happy that my graded BG+2 (or higher) smallcraft CP are disappearing only to be replaced by anything down to BG-2 CP.

So... your not happy that experienced pilots being replaced by green pilots means a lower grade? That's an unfortunate side effect of using your squadrons in battle. Do replacements instead.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Thu 25 Jul 2013 18:21

I think he is more worried about losing high grade pilots when forced to combine high grade sqns. If you have no place to put them, you will lose them.
My players get around this by keeping extra Qv on their repair ships and heavy colliers to hold reserve pilots and excess created by just such 'mergers'. This way they don't lose the graded pilots and have a ready supply when repairs on other sqns are made.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Cralis on Fri 26 Jul 2013 02:17

procyon wrote:I think he is more worried about losing high grade pilots when forced to combine high grade sqns. If you have no place to put them, you will lose them.

My players get around this by keeping extra Qv on their repair ships and heavy colliers to hold reserve pilots and excess created by just such 'mergers'. This way they don't lose the graded pilots and have a ready supply when repairs on other sqns are made.

OOOOOOHhhhh I misunderstood. I thought he was talking about the grade loss from merging experienced pilots. But if you are talking about lost PC from extras after a merger, then yeah... Procyon's group has a great idea for that.

Just remember that merged PC have their grade averaged. If you merge high grade PC with each other though, that shouldn't be much of a hit.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Ultra Starfire