Ultra Starfire Information

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Ultra Starfire Information

Postby Starfire on Wed 01 Jul 2009 07:54

Ultra Starfire, at this time (July 2009), is in a very stable form with few Updates being issued (mainly for things that are unclear).

Last Update: June 2009
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Re: Ultra Starfire Information

Postby PracticalM on Sat 10 Apr 2010 14:58

For those of us with an older version, what do we need to do to get the latest version? I think I have ULTRA 9 from November 2005.

Also is there a shipyard program update for ULTRA? I was looking for my installed copy and I don't seem to have it installed. I was looking in the downloads and I didn't see an ULTRA version of shipyard just GSF and Classic.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Rhishisikk on Sat 10 Apr 2010 19:27

Also on the subject of ShipYard, it doesn't seem to work on Windows Vista. Is there any way to get the source code so that we can convert it to Java, and then we could just upkeep the one program, compiling it for different systems? (I won't be available for any such project until May 10th; I'm in the final month madness of the college semester, but I'm willing to look at source code and see how to go about converting what's there to what it could be.)
Rhishisikk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 12 Apr 2010 19:37

Rhishisikk wrote:Also on the subject of ShipYard, it doesn't seem to work on Windows Vista. Is there any way to get the source code so that we can convert it to Java, and then we could just upkeep the one program, compiling it for different systems? (I won't be available for any such project until May 10th; I'm in the final month madness of the college semester, but I'm willing to look at source code and see how to go about converting what's there to what it could be.)

Changes to shipyard are currently under review for projects that are already underway. I believe it is currently written in Visual Basic, so conversion would pretty much be a re-write no matter what you do.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Club on Tue 13 Apr 2010 13:47

I'm not sure upgrading it would be the best answer either. Someone I know decompiled it and claims it was written for windows 3.1. It was probably a beautiful program in the era of 3.1 though.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Fri 16 Apr 2010 01:30

So, the semi-desire to upgrade my ULTRA version became more urgent when I discovered that the version of the ULTRA rules I have ULTRA 9 2005 pdf has an incorrectly formated DeC weapons page table.

I'll ask again. How do I get the most recent ULTRA version?
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 16 Apr 2010 02:33

PracticalM wrote:So, the semi-desire to upgrade my ULTRA version became more urgent when I discovered that the version of the ULTRA rules I have ULTRA 9 2005 pdf has an incorrectly formated DeC weapons page table.

I'll ask again. How do I get the most recent ULTRA version?

Again?

Email Marvin. Anytime someone has a question like this, you can always email Marvin. If you don't get an answer then you can private message me and, depending upon the circumstances, I may be able to contact him by other means.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby wievil on Mon 04 Jun 2012 08:18

Rhishisikk wrote:Also on the subject of ShipYard, it doesn't seem to work on Windows Vista. Is there any way to get the source code so that we can convert it to Java, and then we could just upkeep the one program, compiling it for different systems? (I won't be available for any such project until May 10th; I'm in the final month madness of the college semester, but I'm willing to look at source code and see how to go about converting what's there to what it could be.)

I've had no problems installing and running ShipYard on Windows 7 Pro. 8-) Would like to see an update for Solar though :D
wievil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby wievil on Mon 30 Sep 2013 15:12

Ok, let me first admit what I'm looking for is probably in the rules somewhere but.... :oops:

I'm looking for a better explanation of how (CLK) impacts Small Craft sensors than I can understand from CLK.03 Sensor Effectiveness vs CLK. :?

Anyone?
wievil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 30 Sep 2013 23:47

wievil wrote:Ok, let me first admit what I'm looking for is probably in the rules somewhere but.... :oops:

I'm looking for a better explanation of how (CLK) impacts Small Craft sensors than I can understand from CLK.03 Sensor Effectiveness vs CLK.

IF you are using the most current version, v6.02, then you need to read AA.Smcft.02, and then it should be clear to you what it means :)

Sensor degradation itself is explained in D5.03.1
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Ultra Starfire