Ultra Starfire Information

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Ultra Starfire Information

Postby Vandervecken on Tue 01 Oct 2013 00:11

Do any of the 'Ultra' experts here in the boards have an answer to the "small craft sensors and (CLK) interaction question from CLK.03" if Wievil just wants to know about "Ultra' rules?
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby wievil on Tue 01 Oct 2013 10:42

Cralis wrote:
wievil wrote:Ok, let me first admit what I'm looking for is probably in the rules somewhere but.... :oops:

I'm looking for a better explanation of how (CLK) impacts Small Craft sensors than I can understand from CLK.03 Sensor Effectiveness vs CLK.

IF you are using the most current version, v6.02, then you need to read AA.Smcft.02, and then it should be clear to you what it means :)

Sensor degradation itself is explained in D5.03.1

Ultra [Smcft.02] only covers sY or sYc. If you only have small craft intrinsic sensors what is the impact of CLK to those sensors? [D5.03.1] in Ultra only states "Enemy operating CLK reduces your effective sensor generation". A GBa Sqdrn and GBb Sqdrn are faced with an operating (CLKa) and both have 20 tH base sensor range so what is the impact on the GBa and GBb Sqdrn's sensors? In other words, what is the base sensor range reduced to by the enemy use of (CLKa)? Normal ship board sensors would be reduced 3 generations per [CLK.07] Smcft and CLK table but this only says "Small craft may have trouble finding (CLK)ed ...". So is there an additional impact or are small craft not reduced in sensor range vs an operating CLK?
wievil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Oct 2013 13:16

oh my mistake!! i was just responding to the next message and didnt realize this was in the ultra forum. my apologies

if i remember correctly, in ultra smcft detect cloak just like buoys. i think that means as if the unit had lod (one of the clk rules)

kinda messy, it's why we cleaned it up and changed how smcft sensors worked in SSF
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PaxHadrian17 on Sun 21 Dec 2014 12:21

Greetings,

I'm learning Ultra and working on my first game (solo). I tried to install/use the shipyard (from the !GSF Shipyard Shareware folder on my CD) and I get an error (Run-time error '2004') when I try to start the shipyard. Has anyone else hit and resolved this error? Do you have any tricks to overcome this error?

Is there a more current shipyard that works with the Ultra spreadsheets on the CD?

Thank you for anyone who can help me with the shipyard problem and ideas on how to proceed if there is no easy solution around this error.

PaxHadrian
PaxHadrian17
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Mon 22 Dec 2014 02:12

PaxHadrian17 wrote:Greetings,

I'm learning Ultra and working on my first game (solo). I tried to install/use the shipyard (from the !GSF Shipyard Shareware folder on my CD) and I get an error (Run-time error '2004') when I try to start the shipyard. Has anyone else hit and resolved this error? Do you have any tricks to overcome this error?

Is there a more current shipyard that works with the Ultra spreadsheets on the CD?

I don't think so... it has been included because a lot of our older customers still running Win XP like to use it. It doesn't really work well with Win 7/8.

I know that there are a number of patches and update files that are included with shipyard. You have to update it in the proper order or it has all sorts of errors.

Hopefully one of the older guys will spot this post and know the answer. I have not used that application in more than 15 years.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PaxHadrian17 on Tue 23 Dec 2014 21:42

Cralis,

Thanks for taking a look and offering some suggestions. At this stage, I'm not sure how to best use the turn-based spreadsheets without the shipyard and its output file. I've tried the install several times, including patching, but to no avail.

If anyone else has any options for a Windows 7 friendly shipyard program for Ultra, I'd appreciate the help.

Is Solar Starfire more current with shipyards and turn-based spreadsheets that work within a Windows 7 environment?

Thanks (and Happy Holidays),

PaxHadrian
PaxHadrian17
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Wed 24 Dec 2014 02:49

PaxHadrian17 wrote:Cralis,

Thanks for taking a look and offering some suggestions. At this stage, I'm not sure how to best use the turn-based spreadsheets without the shipyard and its output file. I've tried the install several times, including patching, but to no avail.

The spreadsheet does not require you to use the shipyard. However, that means you would have to build the ships by hand. Right now that is what most players are doing.

If anyone else has any options for a Windows 7 friendly shipyard program for Ultra, I'd appreciate the help.

Hopefully one of the older players will see this. If all else fails, maybe I'll try and see what I can find out. But that likely won't happen until after the holidays...

Is Solar Starfire more current with shipyards and turn-based spreadsheets that work within a Windows 7 environment?

All of the spreadsheets are based on Excel, except for the one conversion to open documents. There is no other version of the shipyard program.

You can read about the SSF spreadsheet at viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1694
Lomn has a shipyard spreadsheet for SSF at viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2503

Thanks (and Happy Holidays)

I wish I could do more right now... we have plans to build some new applications in the future, but we haven't gotten to a point where we can do that yet. And even so, it's likely all new official additions will be for SSF unless someone wants to work with us to do one for ULTRA on their own initiative.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PaxHadrian17 on Mon 29 Dec 2014 08:38

Cralis,

Thanks for the input. I'm glad that I misunderstood the spreadsheets (now using GG series turn 0/turn 1) and thought that I had to have the shipyard to paste the ship roster in each turn.

I'll start doing the ships manually and see how everything plays out.

If anyone else has Excel files for automating the shipyard function, please consider sharing them with the rest of us who are learning/playing Ultra. I don't know how active the Ultra community is but additional tools could certainly help boost the appeal and fan base of Ultra.

Thanks,

PaxHadrian
PaxHadrian17
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Moonsword on Mon 29 Dec 2014 15:56

There is one.

Go to the Starfire Downloads page here: http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/ ... /index.php

There's a version dropdown next to the file name textbox.

...and apparently the shipyard spreadsheet I'd swear I used at one point isn't in there. Let me dig around on my hard drive.

EDIT: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2196

Ah-ha, there's why. PM Xveers, he's the original designer. I think most of their effort has gone into the Solar sheet that appears to be derived from that one.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby PaxHadrian17 on Wed 31 Dec 2014 13:13

Moonsword,

Thanks for your help. I sent a PM to Xveers as you recommended. I'm hoping he has the 'pot of gold' at the end of this rainbow :)

Happy New Year,

PaxHadrian
PaxHadrian17
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

PreviousNext

Return to Ultra Starfire