Universe Generator

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Universe Generator

Postby Elminster on Fri 28 Jan 2011 08:08

To get this right:

You need only the numbers, right?
(Ok, a LOT of them :) )
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Starfire on Fri 28 Jan 2011 09:29

If your asking if I need the systems, your are right in that I do NOT need the systems.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby Elminster on Fri 28 Jan 2011 09:53

Starfire wrote:If your asking if I need the systems, your are right in that I do NOT need the systems.

Ok.
I have to make some modifications to my program (atm I don't create Unusual LF), but that shouldn't be too complex.
Count me in. :)

BTW: Is it ok, if the tool is for Windows?
In memory of Gary Gygax

E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby krenshala on Sat 29 Jan 2011 02:26

Elminster wrote:
Starfire wrote:If your asking if I need the systems, your are right in that I do NOT need the systems.

Ok.
I have to make some modifications to my program (atm I don't create Unusual LF), but that shouldn't be too complex.
Count me in. :)

BTW: Is it ok, if the tool is for Windows?

Yes. The output being a text file (or .csv) means it can be used anywhere. ;)

Marvin didn't ask, but your system generator is using the standard Section W setup, correct? (Mine isn't, so it wouldn't help him in this even if I had the time to make the necessary changes. :roll:)

Also, are you using two-d10-and-sort or a d8-then-d10 for getting the first two orbital distances for planets? (It makes a slight difference in how many type T worlds you end up with. :D)
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Elminster on Sat 29 Jan 2011 05:15

krenshala wrote:Marvin didn't ask, but your system generator is using the standard Section W setup, correct?

Yep. Already using the result of the discussion for nebula changes, too.

Also, are you using two-d10-and-sort or a d8-then-d10 for getting the first two orbital distances for planets? (It makes a slight difference in how many type T worlds you end up with. :D)

I'm using two-d10-and-sort. I can make an option for d8-then-d10, too, if it is desired.
In memory of Gary Gygax

E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 29 Jan 2011 06:29

elminster wrote:
krenshala wrote:Also, are you using two-d10-and-sort or a d8-then-d10 for getting the first two orbital distances for planets? (It makes a slight difference in how many type T worlds you end up with. :D)

I'm using two-d10-and-sort. I can make an option for d8-then-d10, too, if it is desired.

Egads. While Marvin may want to have the option available, it absolutely skewers and limits the orbital configurations available.

If you roll two dice with ANY values 2+ apart, you actually end up with a bazillion possibilities.

Code: Select all
Numbers Rolled
First  Second (allowed)
1       3-10
2       4-10
3       1, 5-10
4       1-2, 6-10
5       1-3, 7-10
6       1-4, 8-10
7       1-5, 9-10
8       1-6, 10
9       1-7
10      1-8

That turns out to be 8^2 * 7^7 permutations, or 368, 947, 264 possibilities.

Now contrast with the method currently in use:

Code: Select all
First   Second
1        3-10
2        4-10
3        5-10
4        6-10
5        7-10
6        8-10
7        9-10
8        10

That turns out to be 8 * 7 * 6 * 5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 or 8! = 40,320 possibilities.

HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Now, the opposition here always says "that is a lot of choices!!" But a second look tells us that it isn't that simple. 1/8th of ALL orbits are going to be 8/10. PERIOD. 12.5% of all orbits are going to be 8/10. Really, there is a 12.5% chance of any of the first orbits, and you divide by the number of second orbits to see what the chances of each combination will exist. The lowest chances are the combinations with the 1 LM orbit first (12.5% / 8 = 1.5% each), and the highest chance is having an 8 LM orbit first (that 12.5%)

!!

Now, I'm not the best at math, so my numbers might be slightly off. However, I don't even think throwing a complex conjugate in there is going to change much in the difference. (haha, thanks XKCD).
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Starfire on Sat 29 Jan 2011 09:27

Elminster wrote:
krenshala wrote:Marvin didn't ask, but your system generator is using the standard Section W setup, correct?

Yep. Already using the result of the discussion for nebula changes, too.

It has to be d8 and then d10.

If you don't follow the system generation rules in section W to the letter and half-letter, then the results will not be terribly meaningful for me. :)

Side Note: Please make the system generation DEFAULT to the section W rules and then have options for home rules. It will make things a lot less confusing for new people. This is the standard that I am trying to maintain with various software tools. The rules are the default, and home rules are options.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby Elminster on Sat 29 Jan 2011 09:42

Starfire wrote:It has to be d8 and then d10.

Ok.

If you don't follow the system generation rules in section W to the letter and half-letter, then the results will not be terribly meaningful for me. :)

Side Note: Please make the system generation DEFAULT to the section W rules and then have options for home rules. It will make things a lot less confusing for new people. This is the standard that I am trying to maintain with various software tools. The rules are the default, and home rules are options.

No problem.
In memory of Gary Gygax

E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Elminster on Sat 05 Feb 2011 16:23

Starfire wrote:Programing notes
Asteroid Belts are to be separated into
---HGT (of course)
---Hot Belts (In the Tidelock Zone) Note: Their may not be any of these generated but need to check
---Cold Belts (In the Ice Zone)
---normal belts (not hot or cold)

Does this mean that in the process of rolling a system, AB in the Tidelock Zone always have to be O3, and AB in the Ice Zone always have to be O1 and therefore are Extreme environments? :?
In section W there is no hint that this should accounted for.
In memory of Gary Gygax

E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 05 Feb 2011 17:05

Elminster wrote:
Starfire wrote:Programing notes
Asteroid Belts are to be separated into
---HGT (of course)
---Hot Belts (In the Tidelock Zone) Note: Their may not be any of these generated but need to check
---Cold Belts (In the Ice Zone)
---normal belts (not hot or cold)

Does this mean that in the process of rolling a system, AB in the Tidelock Zone always have to be O3, and AB in the Ice Zone always have to be O1 and therefore are Extreme environments? :?
In section W there is no hint that this should accounted for.

Currently these designations mean nothing to the Ultra rules. However, I believe Marvin is trying to get some finer designations from your testing program for future and closer examinations of the sysgen process :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ultra Starfire