ULTRA - what words have you wished were in an index?

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

ULTRA - what words have you wished were in an index?

Postby Cralis on Thu 17 Feb 2011 20:05

By now everyone knows that we are working on a new revision to ULTRA, and that the intention is to utilize print-on-demand services for those who want printed copies.

The only downside is that you won't be able to perform a word search on a printed copy. So we've decided to create an index for it.

We are going to start with the glossaries and definitions in Section A, and at the beginning of every section, but Krenshala came up with a brilliant idea: let's ask the players what words they often search for. So what do you search for? What are the words that you have often had to look for and had trouble finding?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: ULTRA - what words have you wished were in an index?

Postby Club on Fri 18 Feb 2011 01:07

something that glitched me for a while was in the player setup section. Your starting shipyard station has a 'HQa.' Couldn't figure out where the HQ system was listed or what it did. Some kind of command/control system? A sector command? Or what?

You don't have to tell me what they are - I figured it out myself long since. Irritating at the time though.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby krenshala on Fri 18 Feb 2011 01:17

Club wrote:something that glitched me for a while was in the player setup section. Your starting shipyard station has a 'HQa.' Couldn't figure out where the HQ system was listed or what it did. Some kind of command/control system? A sector command? Or what?

You don't have to tell me what they are - I figured it out myself long since. Irritating at the time though.

I fixed this in my rewrite of Section K. :D

(since I'm posting) Make sure emplace, colonize and colony are included. I don't remember if they are all listed in the stuff Matt is already including or not, but I had a hell of a time finding the emplacement costs for colonies a few times. :? (I blame trying to play while tired. :roll:)
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Fri 18 Feb 2011 12:29

not sure what the word would be, but I have a terrible time trying to remember where the rules are about the value of a system you are selling.

system, value of is probable best but that might get a bunch of other things as well.

system, selling might be better
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby mavikfelna on Fri 18 Feb 2011 13:10

R&D related things like breakthrough verification costs, instillation limits and costs, NPR tech sell/purchase costs and the rules for acceleration.

And the 3 different places you need to look for the rules for AP and D.

--Mav
mavikfelna
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Omegalodon on Mon 23 Apr 2012 02:14

App AA/N
Omegalodon
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Postby krenshala on Mon 23 Apr 2012 10:29

Omegalodon wrote:App AA/N

This is in the table of contents. Is there something in particular from App AA/N you wanted added to an index?
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Omegalodon on Thu 26 Apr 2012 06:19

krenshala wrote:

This is in the table of contents. Is there something in particular from App AA/N you wanted added to an index?

I retract my first comment. What I would really find helpful is app.EE prefaced with its own index (the weapon tables). Or perhaps mating the weapon tables with their relevant tech tables from app.aa. My case is likely singular, though, as I'm dealing with a self-printed copy of the game. Oh, the paper cuts.
Omegalodon
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Postby Cralis on Thu 26 Apr 2012 08:00

Omegalodon wrote:
krenshala wrote:

I retract my first comment. What I would really find helpful is app.EE prefaced with its own index (the weapon tables). Or perhaps mating the weapon tables with their relevant tech tables from app.aa. My case is likely singular, though, as I'm dealing with a self-printed copy of the game. Oh, the paper cuts.

Each of the EE tables indicates what weapon group it is from. For example, the "R" weapon table corresponds directly to the AA.R tech table. AA.R includes all future variations, including Rc and Rh. The "E" weapon table goes to AA.E, etc.

If you are printing them (as I have done many, many times) then what I've always done is put the tech rules into one binder (or however you are doing it) and the EE tables into another one so that I can always cross-reference between them.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Omegalodon on Thu 26 Apr 2012 12:42

I think I will go ahead and try that.
Omegalodon
Midshipman 1st Class
Midshipman 1st Class

Next

Return to Ultra Starfire