ULTRA - what words have you wished were in an index?

Home of discussions about Ultra Starfire (5th edition) and its predecessor Galactic Starfire (4th edition).

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: ULTRA - what words have you wished were in an index?

Postby procyon on Thu 26 Apr 2012 19:40

What we try to do is print the chart on the front of heavy cardstock, and then paste together important parts of rules concerning them on the back (like the deep hit chart, etc). If we can squeeze chuncks of AA on their, we add it to the back of the weapon tables also.

EDIT
And we also try to highlight the last few hexes of range on the LRW charts that don't apply to J engined ships, so we can just look instead of trying to do the math each time.

EDIT II
The other big used one that gets added to the weapon tables are the two pages in G covering smcft (BASV and damage tables, LRW/SRW attack rules and mods, etc) as they get used as often as the weapon tables do on the table top.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby krenshala on Fri 27 Apr 2012 17:54

procyon wrote:EDIT
And we also try to highlight the last few hexes of range on the LRW charts that don't apply to J engined ships, so we can just look instead of trying to do the math each time.

You know what, I am going to shamelessly steal this idea and beat Matt with his own arm until he agrees to add it to the official weapon tables. :D My guess -- I won't get to hit him even once. :cry:

procyon wrote:EDIT II
The other big used one that gets added to the weapon tables are the two pages in G covering smcft (BASV and damage tables, LRW/SRW attack rules and mods, etc) as they get used as often as the weapon tables do on the table top.

Did those tables make it to Section EE? If not, they should have. (haven't gotten my PDF reader installed on this system yet; still working out the bugs after finally fixing video.)
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Sat 28 Apr 2012 00:02

krenshala wrote:
procyon wrote:EDIT

You know what, I am going to shamelessly steal this idea and beat Matt with his own arm until he agrees to add it to the official weapon tables. :D My guess -- I won't get to hit him even once. :cry:

Even worse for you, I added this to the list yesterday when I read it. =-P

procyon wrote:EDIT II

Did those tables make it to Section EE? If not, they should have. (haven't gotten my PDF reader installed on this system yet; still working out the bugs after finally fixing video.)[/quote]

I thought they did... I'll check.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby wievil on Thu 31 May 2012 10:18

Combat Point Value

How do you calculate it for Large Ships?

What is it for smallcraft (GBx / FQx)?

The only references I can readily find for Combat Points is in Ultra Starfire pg 56, Table F3.03 Crew Grade Abilities there is a Grade entry "Combat Point adjustment" and a note "A fleet's Combat Points are adjusted if the grade is different from average." while the only place I see it generated is in the ShipYard for Galactic Starfire computer application supplied by SDS including all revised versions.

The following example was generated by ShipYard:

Aethelfled-class CLb AM1 8-XOb 51 HS/43 TS
[3] S1x6A2x12ZeHsQaMgs(Ib)(IbIb)Qb(Ib)ReReReDczaReReReQbYe?a(IbIb) [4/2]
Trg:1 Def-1 PV=58 Cost= 1046/156.9 SL8 {ULTRA}
39 HTK S1x6 A2x12 Dczax1 ?ax1 Rex6 Yex1 Zex1

The PV=58 I assume is the Combat Point Value. How is it calculated?

Wievil
Last edited by wievil on Mon 04 Jun 2012 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
wievil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 01 Jun 2012 00:00

wievil wrote:Combat Point Value ... How is it calculated?

As noted in your other post, the last time PV was actually used was in CLASSIC STARFIRE. It hasn't been used since. And even then, the PV that Marvin had back then was an estimate because we weren't entirely sure how David Weber got some of the PV values he has listed in the STARS AT WAR supplement.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Ultra Starfire