It's all about the maps...

QSR based series of scenarios with fiction

Moderators: Cralis, SDS Members, SDS Owner

It's all about the maps...

Postby Cralis on Wed 15 Jun 2016 11:18

Now that I actually have some breathing time at work, and since the topic is on my list AND came up as a question, I'd like to address maps.

In working on the concepts for a "QSR-style" simplistic strategic rules, I wanted to find a way to make the "universe" a simple place. To do that, I'm going to use "the map" as a conceptual location. "The map" is literally a 4-part map and what is inside it. It may be a random planet (with or without moons), asteroid belt, a star, absolutely nothing, of any of that with terrain. Some may contain warp points that connect to other warp points, others will simply be "adjacent" to each other. Whatever is in the map will be at the center. Every adjacent map between warp points is considered part of the same "system", though the maps will likely not look like a system.

The only special map rule is that the map will be considered borderless, so a player cannot "fall off" the side of a map to exit the battle.

Moving from map to map is considered the equivalent of 1 StMP of movement.

It will be arbitrary. It won't assume full star systems or anything like that. But that makes this very, very simple.

Right now the only thing to worry about is all scenarios are going to describe the contents of "the map" and give any conditions based on the 4-part map. After work I'll draw up an example of how I see it working...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: It's all about the maps...

Postby Cralis on Wed 15 Jun 2016 11:21

And for the record, the scenarios have so far only identified three maps (though it does hint at more): the Kyo homeworld (Type-T planet map with two moons), a gas giant map (with... 4 moons), an adjacent empty map.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: It's all about the maps...

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 15 Jun 2016 19:02

Is this sort of a return to the system/tactical map idea from way back when? There would be a map of the system and tactical play would "zoom" in to the tactical scale?

Hoping to find time to play with the QSR scenarios this weekend....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to [SDS] QSR Campaign