Marvin asked me to run a survey...

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Marvin asked me to run a survey...

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Tue 28 Nov 2017 09:06

Cralis wrote:
VoidStalker_WoE wrote:Back on topic, could we get a series of threads, asking just one question each, and then go from there? It may just help to have everyone responses to each question all in one place.

Right now I am looking for information from you, the players, and didn't want to muddy or influence that information with discussion. I have only commented where I thought clarification was necessary. But if there is something in particular you really want to discuss, feel free to start a topic!
Will do.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Tue 28 Nov 2017 14:32

aramis wrote:Shields and armor should simply be notated as to which generation (perhaps after the speed)
eg: Zippy (2) SSSSSSAA(I)(I)NXr(I) (6) S2 A2

That's actually how I set up displays, with the generation in the summary. Made it lots easier/neater.

Using your example:

Zippy-class CT 16 HS
[2] SSSSSSAA(I)(I)N(Xr)(I) [6/3]
S2x6 A2x2 Nx1
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Morpheus on Thu 07 Dec 2017 01:42

I'm just now getting around to answering, but here are my thoughts. I will say that I tend to favor the older versions of Starfire, and tend to only play tactical level scenarios like the ones in Stars at War and Crusade as I just don't have the time to play a long game and have no desire to do all of the associated bookkeeping. That to me becomes more of a job in and of itself than fun. I also like how the older versions of Starfire have a very rich history with the novels and all.

In general, shipbuilding and the simplicity of the ship system display and being able to completely customize your ships is what originally drew me to Starfire from Star Fleet Battles in the first place, and it is one of my favorite things about the game.

#1 - To be honest I rarely play with the strategic rules. That being said, I think the ship building rules and the tech trees are essential, as well as system generation, however, if there were a pre-fab universe provided, the system generation rules wouldn't be needed for a "quick start" type game.

#2 - I think the spying/espionage rules seem like more trouble than they are worth.

#3 - I feel like economics could be greatly simplified and the more complex version of them left to optional or advanced rules. Currently, I feel like the economics rules are just too much work to be fun. I also feel like the land/ground combat rules would be best left to the optional rules.

#4 - I agree with some of the others, who said that system generation is pretty simple if you use a universe generation application. It takes almost all of the work out of it.

#5 - Essential technologies to Starfire: Shields, Armor, Reactionless Drives, Guns, Missiles, I really like the old "W" Gun/Missile launcher in the 3rd Edition rules a lot better than the current "W" box launcher, Lasers, Primary Beams, Force Beams, Point Defense, and Datagroups/Datalink.
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby coldsteel on Sat 09 Dec 2017 15:37

Morpheus wrote:#1 - To be honest I rarely play with the strategic rules. That being said, I think the ship building rules and the tech trees are essential, as well as system generation; however, if there were a pre-fab universe provided, the system generation rules wouldn't be needed for a "quick start" type game.

Oh, man. I LIKE this idea.....
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Previous

Return to General