ORDERS

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: ORDERS

Postby Cralis on Tue 28 Nov 2017 20:04

VX-134 wrote:Perhaps their past experience with joint ventures has taught them that the extra sales aren't worth the cost of drawing up the contracts. Can't you just make a separate order from their printer?

My understanding is that they had the maps rebuilt electronically so it is now their "version" and their IP. Admittedly, however, I haven't personally talked to them. But I don't make the final decisions (or most of the negotiations) for the SDS.

What we probably should do is find someone who can take one of our physical maps, scan and rebuild it electronically, and then print it. Historically the problem has been that we have to have hundreds or thousands of them printed up front and that has a cost and requires storage space. I have yet to find a print-on-demand source for maps of the sizes we need.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Wed 29 Nov 2017 03:29

How many maps are we talking about? Is there any way to form a co-operative joint venture where the maps could be generic, and thus usable by anyone that needed a map of about the same size?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 29 Nov 2017 14:37

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:How many maps are we talking about? Is there any way to form a co-operative joint venture where the maps could be generic, and thus usable by anyone that needed a map of about the same size?

Different maps? We only had one: the 4-part map. But it isnot a generic map. There are already tons of generic maps out there, of many types of material and with or without backgrounds. We couldn't hope to compete with what you can find on Amazon.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VX-134 on Wed 29 Nov 2017 17:36

Historically the problem has been that we have to have hundreds or thousands of them printed up front and that has a cost and requires storage space.

Would paper maps (rather than cardstock) be any cheaper? Steve Jackson Games used to use unmounted paper maps in their products all the time. In fact, this month they included a glossy full color "poster map" as a reward level for their latest Ogre Miniatures kickstarter. Of course, Starfire only needs a black and white map. I think poster maps also come in a greater variety of sizes.
VX-134
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Wed 29 Nov 2017 23:22

VX-134 wrote:
Historically the problem has been that we have to have hundreds or thousands of them printed up front and that has a cost and requires storage space.

Would paper maps (rather than cardstock) be any cheaper? Steve Jackson Games used to use unmounted paper maps in their products all the time. In fact, this month they included a glossy full color "poster map" as a reward level for their latest Ogre Miniatures kickstarter. Of course, Starfire only needs a black and white map. I think poster maps also come in a greater variety of sizes.
I'm for anything that allows folks to dl and play the game. So we need the rulebooks (which we got), and then the maps and counters (which we don't got), in order to play. If we had just the map I posted above, we could simply print out, cut and tape together 4 of them and get a reasonable sized map.

OOOps, that hex field would have to be resized to the 16mm or larger hexes.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Nov 2017 02:10

VX-134 wrote:Would paper maps (rather than cardstock) be any cheaper? Steve Jackson Games used to use unmounted paper maps in their products all the time. In fact, this month they included a glossy full color "poster map" as a reward level for their latest Ogre Miniatures kickstarter. Of course, Starfire only needs a black and white map. I think poster maps also come in a greater variety of sizes.

I've never really been a fan of paper maps because you either have to cover them in plastic (eliminating their flexibility, the one selling point they have), print them out and assemble them like a jigsaw puzzle, or tack them down over and over again and eventually wearing through the paper.

I have seen plastic maps that were pretty cool. You could just roll them up (you don't fold them, it leaves creases!). But I've never found anyone who could print those.

But for a game like Starfire, if you are going to seriously play the game, why wouldn't you want a higher quality map?

I actually own this map and play D&D on one side, and Starfire on the other: https://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Role-Pla ... 0015IQO2O/

Sadly, it looks like they don't continue to make the black version of that vinyl map.

And wow, I've never seen this before and it looks neat: https://www.amazon.com/Hexers-role-play ... 06XFN6ZGD/

But honestly, I'm a big fan of the 4-part map we have. I have it permanently adhered to a sheet of wood that is 4 inches wider than the map. If it was my vote, I'd vote to get more of that map.

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:I'm for anything that allows folks to dl and play the game. So we need the rulebooks (which we got), and then the maps and counters (which we don't got), in order to play. If we had just the map I posted above, we could simply print out, cut and tape together 4 of them and get a reasonable sized map.

Hmmm, you could print out a bunch of pages of the hex map that comes with the QSR to do that if you wanted. I wonder what it would take to make a large hex map, though I suspect very few people could ever print one. What is the largest size that a typical print shop can print? On paper you can roll up? On glossy thick paper?

And honestly, that is one of the reasons why I liked the idea of the hexless miniature combat system for Starfire. No hex maps or mats needed. Get one of those neat vinyl or glossy photographs of nebula or starry background, roll it across the table, and AWAY WE GO.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Sun 03 Dec 2017 19:42

mcb1968 wrote:Starfire is currently a "hex and counter" wargame, but the hexes and boxed game are out of print. Any idea when a physical game will come back into production?

For what it is worth, both Starfire and Star Fleet Battles lack a separately printed map. Mayben a joint project could be considered?

The tactical map is readily available from Amarillo Design Bureau. in 16mm or 32mm hex sizes.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sun 03 Dec 2017 20:37

Holy cow!!!
http://www.starfleetstore.com/
I'm checking them out now...
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sun 03 Dec 2017 20:39

Soon as I get my paycheck, I'm getting about 6 of these black hex maps, @ $6 each.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Mon 04 Dec 2017 06:36

aramis wrote:
mcb1968 wrote:Starfire is currently a "hex and counter" wargame, but the hexes and boxed game are out of print. Any idea when a physical game will come back into production?

For what it is worth, both Starfire and Star Fleet Battles lack a separately printed map. Mayben a joint project could be considered?

The tactical map is readily available from Amarillo Design Bureau. in 16mm or 32mm hex sizes.
Awesome save man. Now that I know I can get good hex maps, I'll be able to actually use my counters again. I don't have room to setup the 4 parter map on a permanent basis, as I cover may maps with plexiglass sheets, so no more doom stacks hitting creases and getting wrecked, lol.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General