Mini mounting plugs aka sockets

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Mini mounting plugs aka sockets

Postby Otterman on Tue 09 Apr 2019 09:49

Hey there Shapeways miniature buyers, how have the mounting plugs been treating you? Too big? Too small? Want them shallower or deeper? Inquisitive designers want to know.
Otterman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Mini mounting plugs aka sockets

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 09 Apr 2019 12:27

Believe it or not, I've not mounted a single one.

I'm waiting for Ken Burnside at Ad Astra to run his Squadron Strike 3D flight stand Kickstarter later this year. The flight stands are supposed to come with adapters that allow their use with "normal" flight stands.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Tue 09 Apr 2019 13:24

Otterman, the holes have actually worked perfectly for me, with using the Games Workshop flight stand sticks.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Tue 09 Apr 2019 17:43

Nukesnipe: My hero, Todd Boyce (With Hostile Intent) did a really cool set of 3D adapters. This is why I try not to skimp on the underside detail.

Coldsteel: Hooray! Thanks for the feedback.
Otterman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 09 Apr 2019 19:53

I use the Litko hex stands with numbered hexsides, and the plastic pylons that come for them. I have to trim the top of the pylon to fit the mount, but it lets me create a plug that once glued into the miniature becomes absolutely rock solid. So no complaints from me.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Tue 09 Apr 2019 20:16

Otterman wrote:Nukesnipe: My hero, Todd Boyce (With Hostile Intent) did a really cool set of 3D adapters. This is why I try not to skimp on the underside detail.

I'm lucky that I got a virtual case of Todd's 3d adaptors, but then he stopped making them :( I'd buy a few hundred if he got them back into the store...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 10 Apr 2019 19:05

Otterman wrote:Nukesnipe: My hero, Todd Boyce (With Hostile Intent) did a really cool set of 3D adapters. This is why I try not to skimp on the underside detail.

Coldsteel: Hooray! Thanks for the feedback.

Otterman,

All my Attack Vector:Tactical minis are based with his Ninja Magic adapters. ;)

I actually met him at a Texicon a couple of years ago. We did a demo of Squadron Strike. Both of us were very rusty, but it was a good time. I was hoping he'd restart his Ninja Magic line, but it looks like life has gotten in the way.

He also showed me the game he was working on. Can't remember the name, but it looked interesting.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 10 Apr 2019 19:07

Xveers wrote:

I'm lucky that I got a virtual case of Todd's 3d adaptors, but then he stopped making them :( I'd buy a few hundred if he got them back into the store...

I told him the same thing.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Xveers on Wed 10 Apr 2019 22:33

nukesnipe wrote:
Xveers wrote:

I told him the same thing.

Last time he was at Gencon with them, one of the last times anyhow, I went up to his little booth on the Sunday afternoon and just about cleaned him out of stock. I think I have about 200-300 miniatures based with his stuff. All my AV:T minis, a ton of my full thrust stuff, most of my Saganami Island... whole lotta ship.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Return to General