Rare Star Systems

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Rare Star Systems

Postby Crucis on Sat 08 Dec 2012 23:50

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Crucis wrote:I traded thru wiki and found what youo were likely reading about planetesimals and protoplanets. Protoplanets may be called "moon-sized", but they're not moon-sized by my definition. They're more planetoid sized. They use the examples of Ceres, Pallas, and Vesta, all AB "planetoids" with only Ceres coming close to Cosmic's definition of moon.

I was reading the Protoplanet article. It says that the embryos tended to be Ceres to Pluto sized objects. Some were smaller like Pallas and Vesta, but most seem to fit the game's definition of moon. Of course you just need to have the star system be a few million years younger for your version to fit.

As you say, it's just a matter of timing. They're all going to start out as specks of dust. Only the lucky ones make it to be as big as Pluto or Ceres.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 09 Dec 2012 07:02

I can live with the slightly younger model for the T Tauri systems.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Wed 12 Dec 2012 08:17

Thinking about Neutron Stars

Ok, I'm thinking about Neutron Stars right now. I'd like to get them finished up, and it shouldn't be that difficult. There aren't going to be any planets, moons, or asteroid belts.

What I'm thinking is including something like the deadly radiation field from Ultra, but much larger. I do NOT want WP's sucked in close like with Ultra's version of Neutron Stars. (I want WP's to obey the same set of rules, for the most part. And causing all WP's to exist within 100 tH of the stars is a bit much for me.) In Ultra, the field extends out to only 9 LM, not even a single sH. What I'm thinking is that the field should extend out to 5 or 10 system hexes, so that it has a chance to engulf some normal WP's.

This radiation field is deadly to any ship that doesn't have shields up. If a ship without active shields, whether intentionally or otherwise, enters the radiation field, then its entire crew dies instantly. This means that all smallcraft are useless in the radiation field since they don't have shields. The radiation doesn't cause any physical damage.

On a tangential note, if a ship's crew is killed but the ship's drives are active and the ship is moving, unless another ship quickly intercepts the "dead" ship, tractors it and tows it outside the Rad Field, and lands a smallcraft on it to shut off its drives, the "dead" ship will probably just head off into deep space like some sort of "flying dutchman", never to be heard from or seen again, at least for many centuries. Of course, after a while, lack of maintenance will take its toll and the engines will shut down, but that might not be for many months, in which time the ship will be many, many StMP outside of the neutron star's system. (OTOH, a ship without a DF might slowly get drawn into the neutron star, though that would probably be a much slower process.)

I bring this up because if an exploration ship decides to enter a WP without shields up and enters a NS system, it's toast the instant it exits the WP. And for all intents and purposes, it would be perceived by someone waiting on the other side of the WP just like a black hole when the ship doesn't return or a courier drone doesn't come back. And the SM would have to say that.

It also means that the CFN's FT's would all have to have at least a single Shield if its FT's wanted to enter a NS system, or at least if it needs to pass thru a neutron star's radiation field. You could conceivably have 2 WP's in a NS system, neither of which were in the RF, though on opposite sides of it, and not have a ship need active shields, if it was willing to take a little extra time and go around the rad field when passing thru the star system.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 12 Dec 2012 20:51

I can see plenty of things an enterprising player could do to take advantage of the radiation field. It's a great way to poach unsuspecting freighters. Just attack, drop their shields, then tractor them into the field.

Presonaly, I would go with a 10 system hex radius. At 5 system hexes the odds of having wp's inside the field are small, and there isn't much time lost going around unless you have two wp's on opposing radians. At 10 hexes there is a far greater chance that the wp location geometry would force a ship to alter course to avoid the field.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby procyon on Thu 13 Dec 2012 01:10

Crucis wrote:This radiation field is deadly to any ship that doesn't have shields up.

This would be ok if neutron stars were emitting masses of charged particles. But they aren't.
It is also one of my group's issues with Ultra/Solar. :(

You see, all that radiation should mostly be high energy EM radiation, whether gamma rays, etc.
Shields should be pretty useless against this.

As support for this postion, just how effective are shields against EM radiation as a weapon? Ie, lasers and X Ray lasers. :geek:

And for the record, X ray lasers would be based off of gamma emmisions.

Just my 2 cents. ;)
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Crucis on Thu 13 Dec 2012 01:13

procyon wrote:
Crucis wrote:This radiation field is deadly to any ship that doesn't have shields up.

This would be ok if neutron stars were emitting masses of charged particles. But they aren't.
It is also one of my group's issues with Ultra/Solar. :(

You see, all that radiation should mostly be high energy EM radiation, whether gamma rays, etc.
Shields should be pretty useless against this.

As support for this postion, just how effective are shields against EM radiation as a weapon? Ie, lasers and X Ray lasers. :geek:

And for the record, X ray lasers would be based off of gamma emmisions.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

And in your view, would armor be any more protective than shields?
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Thu 13 Dec 2012 03:06

I guess it depends on how you define armor.
Part of the old definition included that it wasn't just external plate, but structural durability of the ship.

Perhaps the armor of the ships is fairly good at reducing radiation levels. It would have to protect a crew from solar flares and such - but the DF would do a lot of that as most of the radiation from a solar flare is particle radiation.
But the armor would have to be pretty stout to stop the radiation you are likely to find around neutron stars.

It would likely have to be a system on the lines of the MNE of Ultra.
Or you could just assume that ships were built to withstand certain levels of radiation, or the crew was able to deal with it for some amount of time like the radiation from (It).

And perhaps that duration would be doubled for every (x) number of armor.

It kind of depends where you would want to go with it.
I was just pointing out that eventually someone was going to notice that shields stop gamma radiation from neutron stars, but not X-Ray lasers - and wonder what was up.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 13 Dec 2012 06:04

The other issue is that older neutron stars emit most of their radiation in the radio range. Those lower frequencies would be easily stopped by armor.

Younger neutron stars do emit x-ray and gamma radiation, which should pass through shields easily. If the armor was made of material similar to lead it would provide at least some level of protection.

I need to dig out my copy of the Star Trek novel "The Abode of Life". It has some pertinent information as to what types of radiation would be most lethal even to a shielded ship.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 13 Dec 2012 06:29

The closes thing I can find to radiation that would get through both shields and armor is Berthold radiation in Star Trek. It is lethal after short exposure.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby tmul4050 on Wed 02 Jan 2013 06:56

I was wondering.
Do black holes always result in destruction. I know thats the way the rules go (and always have I think) but... I think battling around a black hole could be very griping. And deadly :shock: . But maybe.

How about this situation. Blackholes can be members of binary and trinary systems. Perhaps the WP formed around a different member. Also it is possible for sytem bodies other than stars to orbit black holes. These worlds would have been blasted by radiation and star matter during the super nova (brown dwarf perhaps) and only the core remains. A highly rich, radioactive remnant.

A Poul Anderson book called "Mirkheim" addressed this topic. The world was so rich it started a war.

The danger of a black hole is its proximity. If you are far enough away its not dangerous. So.

Why not revisit the idea. Would it really change that much.
Just a thought.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Cosmic Starfire