Page 1 of 1

Guns, guns, guns. what about the guns (weapon discussion)

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2013 07:01
by tmul4050
Something that should be addressed is weapons used by players. (BTW I apologize if I get some of the TL wrong as it has being a while since I have seen the rules for the early editions :oops: . Also I have never read Ultra so I don't know its weapons although I think they are similar :? )

Weapons in star fire (2ed) usually start with lasers, missiles and Guns at TL Ind2. A TL or two later you gain gun missile launchers. In later editions you could start with kinetic weapons or plasma torps.

Force beams and its iterations (primaries and Needlers), X ray or HET Lasers develop from lasers and so on. The same with missiles.

A discussion on weapons might be interesting and useful. I would like to address current weapons and maybe suggest new ones.

Lets take guns to start with. We could move through the other weapons as we go.

Guns are a Ind2 weapon that I assume is a basic rail gun (I'm not fixated on that). Originally it had a short range and did one point of damage. It was superseded fairly quickly by gun missile launchers at TL2. By TL3-4 they was no reason to arm your ships with them. In gal star fire guns did two points of damage which made them more useful. Gun missile weapons disappeared. When Cosmic comes out I would like guns to do Two points of damage again as I think it differentiates it from other weapons and makes it more useful. Also the gun missile launcher would be good to see again. The gun version of that should do one point (somewhat inefficient). This would give a reason to keep using the weapon beyond TL1.

Tech level increases could include a capital version (200% range and 150% damage) and,later, antimatter rounds. Rapid fire guns could also be an option. A gun tech tree could have all these, and could also include fighter guns.

A more radical idea would allow the use of guns as a point defense weapon (not as effective as a point defense unit though.)

So any thoughts?

Re: Guns, guns, guns. what about the guns (weapon discussion)

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun 2013 00:27
by Crucis
Tmul, sorry that I haven't gotten back to you sooner.

I'm not comfortable talking about everything I have in mind in terms of weapons, but here's something relating to your "guns, guns, guns" query...

There won't be any "gun launcher" (G) or "gun-missile launcher" (W). There will just be Standard Missile Launchers ("R") and Capital Missile Launchers ("Rc"), as well as upgraded generations thereof. (And there's like to be a Heavy Missile Launcher, but I'm not worrying about that at this point.)

Furthermore, Sprint missiles (aka "gun missiles") will be called "torpedoes". Missile Launchers will be able to fire missiles or torpedoes of their size. Also note that for simplicity's sake, missile sizes will be simpler. Standard Missiles or Standard Torpedoes will be Size 1, i.e. 1 csp, while Capital Missiles or Capital Torpedoes will be Size 2, or 2 csp, and so on. Standard Missile Launchers ("R") will fire size 1 missiles. Capital Missile Launchers ("Rc") will fire Size 1 or Size 2 missiles. No more 1 or 1.25 or 2 or 2.5 or 3 or whatever csp missiles. I want to keep the missile sizes clean and simple. Also, the first gen SM's will be long range guided mode only, and if you want to fire torpedoes, you'll have to carry ST's in your magazines. Ditto for cap missiles and cap torpedoes. But eventually, SM's will become dual mode missiles like TL2 3E SM's. And ditto for CM's.

That's all for now...

Re: Guns, guns, guns. what about the guns (weapon discussion)

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun 2013 21:07
by mcb1968
Nice to see the idea of the GML/W coming back around.

Re: Guns, guns, guns. what about the guns (weapon discussion)

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun 2013 22:21
by tmul4050
Crucis wrote:I'm not comfortable talking about everything I have in mind in terms of weapons, but here's something relating to your "guns, guns, guns" query...

Oh, ok then. Sorry to here that, but I will wait for developments.
Crucis wrote:There won't be any "gun launcher" (G) or "gun-missile launcher" (W). There will just be Standard Missile Launchers ("R") and Capital Missile Launchers ("Rc"), as well as upgraded generations thereof. (And there's like to be a Heavy Missile Launcher, but I'm not worrying about that at this point.)

Furthermore, Sprint missiles (aka "gun missiles") will be called "torpedoes". Missile Launchers will be able to fire missiles or torpedoes of their size. Also note that for simplicity's sake, missile sizes will be simpler. Standard Missiles or Standard Torpedoes will be Size 1, i.e. 1 csp, while Capital Missiles or Capital Torpedoes will be Size 2, or 2 csp, and so on. Standard Missile Launchers ("R") will fire size 1 missiles. Capital Missile Launchers ("Rc") will fire Size 1 or Size 2 missiles. No more 1 or 1.25 or 2 or 2.5 or 3 or whatever csp missiles. I want to keep the missile sizes clean and simple. Also, the first gen SM's will be long range guided mode only, and if you want to fire torpedoes, you'll have to carry ST's in your magazines. Ditto for cap missiles and cap torpedoes. But eventually, SM's will become dual mode missiles like TL2 3E SM's. And ditto for CM's.


Sounds very interesting. Are you changing the damage they do? The csp size standardizing is a good idea. Sometimes I think Starfire (and games like it) should have been called Accountants in Space :D
I like the idea of torpedoes though.

Re: Guns, guns, guns. what about the guns (weapon discussion)

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun 2013 22:23
by tmul4050
oops sorry the second quote is from Crucis, I must have mucked something up :oops:

Re: Guns, guns, guns. what about the guns (weapon discussion)

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013 00:05
by Crucis
tmul4050 wrote:oops sorry the second quote is from Crucis, I must have mucked something up :oops:


No problem, Tmul. Using my special moderator powers, I fixed it. :mrgreen: