The Glorious Kobold Empire rises again!

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Re: The Glorious Kobold Empire rises again!

Postby aethelred on Wed 21 Aug 2013 09:52

And now for something completely different!

Serious question now. Still trying to work out how different carrier types work. Here is a proposed design for a planetary assault ship:
DD-SSAAQJJJ(Bl)(Bse)(3xHb)(3xQv)JJQJ HS30, 6/4, COST 335/50
with two squadrons of AST add 50/2.
Now, since Bse has a capacity of 6 bbp and AST take up 3, this ship should be able to handle two squadrons. However only one squadron can land or take off in a single turn.
Do I have this right?
Last edited by aethelred on Wed 21 Aug 2013 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby Vandervecken on Wed 21 Aug 2013 10:38

One of your minor Ministers, so minor that his seat at the table of ministers isn't even at the kiddie table, it's in the broom closet next to Ministers conference room. The same tiny room that is rumored to be a Bfa(t) for a certain female minister. Well, this minor minister from the always under-funded 'Ministry of Silly Walks', has confided to the Defense and Homeland Security Ministers that Sternn's presence on one of your Bases should not be a threat, His exact works were "Don't Worry, I've got an Angle!" After adding 2 lumps of sugar to the mud (actual mud, not coffee) the minister of Transportation was drinking, he was sent back to his broom closet. How he got there 'WAS' quite silly though. And there was much rejoicing! yaaaaayyy.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby aethelred on Wed 21 Aug 2013 11:40

Vandervecken wrote: "Don't Worry, I've got an Angle!"
:cry:
(Que that old Cheap Trick tune)

The glorious prime minister of the glorious Second Kobold Empire slowly but firmly begins to bang his forehead into his desk repeatedly.
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby Elminster on Wed 21 Aug 2013 12:16

aethelred wrote:Serious question now. Still trying to work out how different carrier types work. Here is a proposed design for a planetary assault ship:
DD-SSAAQJJJ(Bl)(Bse)(3xHb)(3xQv)JJQJ HS30, 6/4, COST 335/50
with two squadrons of AST add 50/2.
Now, since Bse has a capacity of 6 bbp and AST take up 3, this ship should be able to handle two squadrons. However only one squadron can land or take off in a single turn.
Do I have this right?

Sorry, no. :)

First, Hb is restricted the same way as bays, so this has to be a fast hull.
Second, ast (lower case, AST are asteroid belts) are Small Craft, not Squadrons. So the Bse holds exactly two ast.
Third, BL is the starting and landing bay for Squadrons (fighter or gunboat), not Small Craft.
Fourth, to mount both a BL and Bse the ship must be a fast hull or 60+ HS.
Fifth, Small Craft do not add to the maintenance of a unit (so far as I know).

;)
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 21 Aug 2013 15:55

Please see the smiling bald man down the corridor to the left room 302 for a detailed description of Cleaning Supplies. In short, with the supplies, the Squidwards Sponge of a foreign minister can help to put a nice shine on your ships and weaponry.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby aethelred on Wed 21 Aug 2013 17:06

Elminster wrote:Sorry, no. :)

First, Hb is restricted the same way as bays, so this has to be a fast hull.
Second, ast (lower case, AST are asteroid belts) are Small Craft, not Squadrons. So the Bse holds exactly two ast.
Third, BL is the starting and landing bay for Squadrons (fighter or gunboat), not Small Craft.
Fourth, to mount both a BL and Bse the ship must be a fast hull or 60+ HS.
Fifth, Small Craft do not add to the maintenance of a unit (so far as I know).

;)

Thanks Elm! So in order to make the DD assault ship work it would have to look like:
DD-SSAAQJJJ(2xBse)(3xH)(3xQv)JJQJ ?
However, the DD hull is starting to look a little small for this job, I am starting to think a CL would be better.

Now, on the gun boat carrier I am guessing that it could not be done on anything smaller than a 60spc CA?
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby procyon on Wed 21 Aug 2013 17:19

Ok, not being mean. Just offering advice.

First, I only count 27 HS of systems so you can add a bit.
Second it needs to be fast hulled if you want a bunch of Bse and/or Hb.
You don't need BLa for ast. Lose it.
Use those HS plus the 3 extra to add in another Bse (and 2 ast), 3 more Qv and 3 H. You need 1/2 an H in supplies for each Qt for the first month of an assault so don't forget to include H.
If ast are used as 'sqns' for anti smcft or ground attack - ast are grouped in 'sqns' of 4. Less ast hurts your damage.

Look hard at the combo of Bse and Hb. You need one to land troops by smcft, but that makes the Hb redundant. But ast are far more vulnerable than a fast hulled warship (which is immune to ground fire) so if you land and use the Hb to unload the Qt and H you won't really need the ast unless you use them for anti-smcft or CAS.
And dropping the S and A will let you add weapon to target enemy Qt(r) and the ship will count for 'controlling space' when you go to resolve ground combat without tying down a warship.
And ast do have 5% maint so 2 cost 2.5 Mc (4 wii cost 5 Mc).

Hope this helps.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Wed 21 Aug 2013 17:26

My post is based off the first design.
I only count 24 HS on the second design.

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Vandervecken on Wed 21 Aug 2013 17:34

Note: ast have maint. (5% of 25 MCr or 1.25 MCr), st and gigs do not.

Edit: Frack, I didn't finish reading procyon's post, I was too busy looking up the Small Craft/Squadron rules. Nothing new to see here. :oops:
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby procyon on Wed 21 Aug 2013 18:20

How about
DDf/30HS
[4] S S A A Qa (Ja) (Ja) (Ja) (Bse) (Bse) Qv Qv Qv Hb Hb Hb H H H Qv Qv Qv Qa (Ja) (Ja) (Ja) [6] / gig x 1, ast x 4

Although you could also call it a dedicated lander as it is immune to ground fire and swap out the 2 Bse for an Ra (or some other weapon to deal with ground targets).

Just a suggestion.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Starfire Fiction