Shapeways Miniature Prices Changing

News and Announcements

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Shapeways Miniature Prices Changing

Postby Cralis on Mon 28 Jan 2019 13:06

On February 4th, Shapeways is going to be changing the way they do their pricing algorithms. As a result, prices are expected to increase. Because the pricing algorithm has been constantly changing during the test period, we haven't been able to finalize our prices.

For reference, they have changed the material names. In order of cheapest quality to highest quality:

1. Versatile Plastic is the same as the old Strong & Flexible Plastic, and is the cheapest material.

2. Professional Plastic is the same as the old Acrylic Plastic, which we stopped offering because it is inferior to the next grade but costs more.

3. Smooth Fine Detail is the same as the old Fine Ultra Detail, which is considered the "gold standard" for miniatures. It has great detail and the cost is right.

4. Smoothest Fine Detail is the same as the old Fine Extra Detail, which has the highest amount of detail but costs significantly more.

There are two major changes that are going to impact our pricing:

First, there will be a minimum price for models. That is $5 for Versatile Plastic and $7.50 for Smooth Fine Detail, with adjustments for polishing, color dyes, etc.

Second, they are now going to be charging the "per piece" charge for each independent piece in a multi-piece model file. So our three ship datagroups of disconnected ships in the same file will cost the same as buying three separate ships.

As a result, we are working on building new files with a sprue between each of the ships. However, the Versatile Plastic (and especially the polished Versatile Plastics) break too easily and cause too many failures, so we are probably only going to be able to offer the datagroups for Smooth Fine Detail and Smoothest Fine Detail.

On Feb 3rd we will be hiding all of our existing datagroups and converting the prices for our single miniatures. We are going to be more uniform pricing model so that prices are more easily to predict. As we are able to update the datagroups with sprues, we will be adding them to the shop.

And to kick it off, we have new ships! We will be releasing the new ships on Feb 4th.

And just in case you want to catch some of the miniatures at the existing prices, here is the link to our shop: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/starfire
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Shapeways Miniature Prices Changing

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 28 Jan 2019 16:01

New. Ships?

Yippee! :D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 28 Jan 2019 20:55

Yep. Ships with an "s"!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 29 Jan 2019 07:00

Cralis wrote:Yep. Ships with an "s"!

:D
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Tue 29 Jan 2019 14:41

YE-AH! </BA Baracus reboot>

\m/ 8-)
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Captain
Captain

Postby schoon on Wed 30 Jan 2019 17:21

Are you willing to share the class and race of the new vessels?
schoon
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Thu 31 Jan 2019 02:02

schoon wrote:Are you willing to share the class and race of the new vessels?

Ahhh but then it wouldn't be a surprise!!

SHAPEWAYS UPDATE!

Smooth Detail (aka Fine Ultra Detail) is now going to remain at the current prices for another couple of weeks. Shapeways discovered that they had an error in the pricing algorithm for that material so they have delayed the new pricing until they fix the algorithm.

That's the material of choice for us because it has the detail level we expect for the best price point. So you'll have another couple of weeks for that material only.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 31 Jan 2019 10:00

Cralis wrote:
schoon wrote:Are you willing to share the class and race of the new vessels?

Ahhh but then it wouldn't be a surprise!!

Hmmm....

"G"? :?:
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 07 Feb 2019 00:24

An update: I got very, very sick the last couple of days so I've only been able to spend a few hours working on... well pretty much anything at all. My apologies... apparently the galaxy is fighting back this week. I found that it isn't hard to respond to forum messages laying in bed and using my phone but it's pretty much impossible to update Shapeways via the phone.

As of right now, I have the CSV data and I have updated most of the data for an update. I've also uploaded and added the new models. And I've hidden all of the old packages of multiple ships... and uploaded the couple of datagroups that we have successfully tested. I will make those available once the prices are updated.

I'm still running a fever and the numbers aren't making sense anymore, so I'm going to finish this in the morning.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 11 Feb 2019 11:03

Ouch! I hope you get to feeling better.

Drink alcohol. I mean, if they use it on your skin to kill germs before they give you a shot, it should work perfectly well on germs that have found their way inside your body....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Next

Return to Announcements