PDF Books Downloadable!

Fiction by Sylvester Wrzesinski

Moderator: Xveers

PDF Books Downloadable!

Postby Xveers on Thu 01 Apr 2010 01:13

Hello!

After some time of waiting, I have finally at least gotten off my rear and implemented the first volume of stuff! This isn't exactly "complete" as most of it's missing images I have planned for it all. That's mainly due to a lack of time for me to get things ironed out and have the ball rolling and blah blah blah :P

So without further grandstanding, I offer up my first collection of PDFs.

The first is a collection of information on the deWulf universe. It features the deWulf diary up to turn 87, and includes bookmarks so you can find the turn you want as well as links to maps that can be found inside the document. It also includes the Warship guide, a list of every ship design that has been put into service over the time period in question AND the universe guide, an overview of every known empire in the game (with a few exceptions...)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/130fgxl9fm5vtxk/deWulf%20Universe%20Guide.pdf

Updated deWulf diary, done up to include the first post of Turn 129!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vghywf2e0bxw6zm/deWulf.pdf?dl=0

The second collection is a quick little scenario pack featuring the first war the deWulf became involved in: The Sintillan War. Included are a set of scenarios that handle the battles, special rules to make the tactical situation fit historical conditions, and system information on both the Sintillan and Weyland star systems. Note: You will need the warship file in the other folder to use this scenario pack.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4s4ucanzhjyhbfh/deWulf%20Scenario%20Book%201.zip

deWulf Warship Guide

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78uedrat642ww2k/deWulf%20Warship%20Guide.pdf

As for what's coming? Well, a second edition of the fleet and universe guides are in the works, with more information on a changing gameworld. Also percolating in my head is the next scenario book, The Binary War....

EDITED June 2, 2012
Fixed broken link
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: PDF Books Downloadable!

Postby dazrand on Thu 01 Apr 2010 04:29

Outstanding! Keep up the good work!
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Thu 01 Apr 2010 16:44

Very nice. I'm glad to see you are still working on this. The deWulf universe is one of the games that inspired me to write up my own Starfire game (that I'm finally doing).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Beersatron on Mon 31 May 2010 13:31

Just wanted to post and say that I am thoroughly enjoying the read as I work through the PDFs.

I have read Steve's Rigellian Diary and am following Procyon's Nemesis Campaign but I the funny thing is that I have never played Starfire before! So, I am stuck when reading the ship designs. I can understand them at a basic level because of the well written combat scenes in the above stories but I would like to be able to actually understand them fully and go 'oh, thats a nice design' :)

Some Googling found me http://18inchfly.net/starfire/tech/3er.html which seems to have most of the components that you appear to be using except it doesn't list 'Qa' nor 'Mgs', crew and magazine I guess?

So, I was wondering if there was a resource I could have open and refer to when reading the PDF that describes what each component is? And, if you have time, walk through this design and describe it in plain english?

Code: Select all
Director-class CA 8-XOa 60 HS
[3] Sx8Ax8ZaHMgs(IaIa)MgM2Ptb(IaIa)QaQaPtbPtb(IaIa)MgQaPtbPtbQa(IaIa) [4/2]
Trg:3 PV=46 Cost= 910/136.5 SL4
39 HTK Sx8 Ax8 Ptbx5 Mgsx1 Mgx2
PROTOTYPE HULL/CLASS = 1428

My understand is:
Director Class Heavy Cruiser with 8 external ordnance racks (what does the 'a' mean in XOa?) that is 60 Hull Spaces in size.

I do not know what the '[3]' is.

8 Shield generators, 8 layers of armor, Datalink, Hold, Magazine, 2 engines, magazine, multiplex, torpedo launcher, 2 engines, crew, crew, torpedo, torpedo, 2 engines, magazine, crew, torpedo, torpedo, crew, 2 engines

I do not know what the '[4/2]' means, nor the rest of the design.

cheers!
Adam
Beersatron
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Crucis on Mon 31 May 2010 14:51

Beersatron wrote:
Code: Select all
Director-class CA 8-XOa 60 HS
[3] Sx8Ax8ZaHMgs(IaIa)MgM2Ptb(IaIa)QaQaPtbPtb(IaIa)MgQaPtbPtbQa(IaIa) [4/2]
Trg:3 PV=46 Cost= 910/136.5 SL4

My understand is:
Director Class Heavy Cruiser with 8 external ordnance racks (what does the 'a' mean in XOa?) that is 60 Hull Spaces in size.

The 'a' indicates that the XO racks are of the 'a' generation.

I do not know what the '[3]' is.

This indicates the ship's turn mode.

8 Shield generators, 8 layers of armor, Datalink, Hold, Magazine, 2 engines, magazine, multiplex, torpedo launcher, 2 engines, crew, crew, torpedo, torpedo, 2 engines, magazine, crew, torpedo, torpedo, crew, 2 engines

I do not know what the '[4/2]' means, nor the rest of the design.

Since the engines are military engines, the [4/2] indicates that the ship has a tactical speed of 4 and a cruising speed of 2.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Mon 31 May 2010 18:00

Beersatron wrote:Just wanted to post and say that I am thoroughly enjoying the read as I work through the PDFs.

I have read Steve's Rigellian Diary and am following Procyon's Nemesis Campaign but I the funny thing is that I have never played Starfire before!

Go to the downloads section and look for "GSF" or "Galactic Starfire" downloads. In there is a "introductory scenario" or something like that. It should have enough basic information to get you barely started playing the introductory scenario. It should get you familiar with the system enough to understand the ship data in the scenarios :)

Obviously I'd recommend you get the rules and play some of the scenarios... but we welcome readers as well!

Xveers, these are REALLY cool. I'm hoping to get some stuff like this out over the summer! I guess that makes you my new inspiration :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Mon 31 May 2010 23:00

Beersatron wrote:Trg:3 PV=46 Cost= 910/136.5 SL4

This bottom part of the readout is a bit of shorthand information on the ship class.
"Trg:3" Means this ship can engage a maximum amount of 3 targets before taking penalties. ULTRA lets you fit multiple Multiplex onboard (so if you have an asteroid fort at Economic Level 1, and want it to engage 4 more targets, you install 4 M1 systems).
"PV=46" Is a point value system. Not really used for anything
"Cost= 910/136.5" Is cost to build the class, and maintain it per month, respectively.
"SL4" indicates that the most advanced item on this ship is Science Level 4 (I forget exactly which. Probably the PTs)
"39 HTK" that means it takes 39 hits to kill the unit. Useful if it becomes the "Center of Glory" and sucks 50 damage. No point checking them all off!
"Sx8 Ax8 Ptbx5 Mgsx1 Mgx2" This is some shorthand to let the user know at a glance the key components onboard. This also includes stuff like point defence, ECM, gunboat/fighter bays etc
The last line indicates that is the cost to prototype the hull and class (the first time you build a hull that big, you have to pay more for the hull itself, and it takes twice as long to build. The first in class is a design fee to rough out production kinks, and only has to be paid for the first in the class. These fees can be assessed together on a new ship, like this one).
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby wievil on Sat 02 Jun 2012 21:50

Xveers wrote:Hello!

After some time of waiting, I have finally at least gotten off my rear and implemented the first volume of stuff! This isn't exactly "complete" as most of it's missing images I have planned for it all. That's mainly due to a lack of time for me to get things ironed out and have the ball rolling and blah blah blah :P

The first is a collection of information on the deWulf universe. It features the deWulf diary up to turn 87, and includes bookmarks so you can find the turn you want as well as links to maps that can be found inside the document. It also includes the Warship guide, a list of every ship design that has been put into service over the time period in question AND the universe guide, an overview of every known empire in the game (with a few exceptions...)
http://members.shaw.ca/victor-daivon/Starfire/deWulfEmpire.zip

This link no longer works.
wievil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Xveers on Sat 02 Jun 2012 22:04

wievil wrote:
Xveers wrote:Hello!

http://members.shaw.ca/victor-daivon/Starfire/deWulfEmpire.zip

This link no longer works.

Thanks for the FYI!

Link fixed. I've also edited your post to fix the link there as well (might as well be thurough!)
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Sat 22 Sep 2012 19:05

Welp, I went and ended up having my old hosting terminated (was on my mom's account) so now I'm migrating everything over to dropbox.

Links have been updated.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to deWulf Universe