Post-Migration Testing! Testing!

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Post-Migration Testing! Testing!

Postby dazrand on Fri 03 May 2019 05:43

aramis wrote:
krenshala wrote:Win10, Firefox 66, and I have to log in every time I visit the page, even if I leave the browser open (so something with the session is definitely expiring).

I just had that issue with Chrome on Win 10.

hit site, used the login link from top of forum, Logged in, got to profile, used the saved link to get back to the main page, it forgot. Logged in again, it returned me to the top level of the site, but kept me logged in.

Interesting, sounds like what I suffered through about four years ago, but working fine now.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 03 May 2019 08:09

I don’t know if everyone knows, but at the bottom of the forum page is a link “delete all board cookies”

For those having issues, have you tried clicking that? It should completely delete your cookies and any server-side cache associated with them. I’m curious if that works for anyone having issues.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Fri 03 May 2019 10:09

Cralis wrote:I don’t know if everyone knows, but at the bottom of the forum page is a link “delete all board cookies”

For those having issues, have you tried clicking that? It should completely delete your cookies and any server-side cache associated with them. I’m curious if that works for anyone having issues.

Ok, tried this. Kept getting booted off after clicking anything past the main forum page in Chrome. Seems to work just fine in IE11 on this Win7 work PC.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby DaltonSpence on Sun 12 May 2019 12:01

I just came back after a long time gone and I can't seem to stay logged on. I'm using Edge on a WIN 10 machine but the browser really shouldn't matter for this. Since this seems to be a migration issue (and yes, I've read the thread) I have a couple of questions to ask:
  1. Does this new server have security protocols that prevent automatic logins? The login procedure seems a bit odd:
    • Click the login link on the forum page.
    • A blank page comes up with a "Click here to login" button.
    • When that is clicked, the login page is brought up.
    Why that level of indirection? Is the server starting a sub-session that logs me off if I leave it?
  2. I am checking the "Log in automatically" checkbox. How do I confirm that I'm actually given the cookie that is supposed to log me back on?
Also, I don't know if this is a migration issue, but I can't seem to get to the downloads page from the Starfire Main Page. Have free downloads been discontinued? :?
DaltonSpence
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Sun 12 May 2019 23:55

DaltonSpence wrote:I just came back after a long time gone and I can't seem to stay logged on. I'm using Edge on a WIN 10 machine but the browser really shouldn't matter for this. Since this seems to be a migration issue (and yes, I've read the thread) I have a couple of questions to ask:
  1. Does this new server have security protocols that prevent automatic logins? The login procedure seems a bit odd:
    • Click the login link on the forum page.
    • A blank page comes up with a "Click here to login" button.
    • When that is clicked, the login page is brought up.
    Why that level of indirection? Is the server starting a sub-session that logs me off if I leave it?

No sir, the whole deal with the button has to do with spambot prevention. It is outside of the normal expectations for spambots so most of them don't know how to proceed past the button, and it contains some code that misdirects the rest. At one point a few years back it got to where we'd have hundreds of spambots trying to make accounts, and tens of thousands of spambots attempting to log into the site.

Once we implemented the button, it removed 99.99% of all spambot attempts and our bandwidth usage literally dropped to 5% of what it was with the spambots. The old adage holds truth: to say it nicely...things change because some people are jerks.

• I am checking the "Log in automatically" checkbox. How do I confirm that I'm actually given the cookie that is supposed to log me back on?
  • Also, I don't know if this is a migration issue, but I can't seem to get to the downloads page from the Starfire Main Page. Have free downloads been discontinued? :?

I can confirm that the cookie exists, it was one of the first things we've checked. We've been discussing this on the discord server, but it appears that pre-migration our provider had a shared ssl certification for all of the older customers (like us). post-migration, they removed the shared ssl certification and we have had to get our own. In fact, this weekend we got everything verified and I just activated it an hour or so ago. By tomorrow morning we should be https!

Anyway, what I've found through this topic is that when the shared cert went away, browsers like Chrome and Safari refused to auto-login an unsecure domain. Internet Explorer doesn't care, so it happily logged in users automatically. When our ssl cert goes into affect, I think it will fix most of these problems.

I hope anyway. It's been a learning road for someone like me who isn't a real web developer, and I'm going to be disappointed if it's going to take more effort...

P.S. Just in case anyone was wondering, our e-commerce provider has always been a secure connection, since we added ordering about 8 years ago. So that is not, and has never been, an issue.
    Cralis
    SDS Member
    SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Tue 14 May 2019 00:09

So the site now has an SSL cert and supports HTTPS, but I'm trying to figure out how to force https. Does anyone know how that is supposed to work?
    Cralis
    SDS Member
    SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Tue 14 May 2019 12:55

Assuming you are running the site on Apache2, you need to add this rule
    Code: Select all
    RewriteRule ^/?(.*) https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [R,L]
    into the config. It does a rewrite of all incoming requests from http://foo to https://foo

I'm rusty on managing Apache, however, so I don't currently remember the recommended location to put that rule. I got the specifics for that rewrite rule from here.
    -- krenshala
    None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
    krenshala
    SDS Member
    SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Tue 21 May 2019 11:07

Cralis wrote:Anyway, what I've found through this topic is that when the shared cert went away, browsers like Chrome and Safari refused to auto-login an unsecure domain. Internet Explorer doesn't care, so it happily logged in users automatically. When our ssl cert goes into affect, I think it will fix most of these problems.

I hope anyway. It's been a learning road for someone like me who isn't a real web developer, and I'm going to be disappointed if it's going to take more effort...

P.S. Just in case anyone was wondering, our e-commerce provider has always been a secure connection, since we added ordering about 8 years ago. So that is not, and has never been, an issue.

I am using Firefox, and on the old forum autologin was never a problem, but since the migration I am still getting logged out each and every time.
    Whitecold
    Vice Admiral
    Vice Admiral

Postby Sunwolf on Thu 27 Jun 2019 15:33

I'm using Chrome and this is the first time I've been able to get in for weeks. In fact it didn't let me in multiple times earlier today (including using Edge out of desperation) and then suddenly it did. Hopefully it will let me in again net time I try.
    Sunwolf
    Lieutenant Commander
    Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Thu 27 Jun 2019 21:02

Sunwolf wrote:I'm using Chrome and this is the first time I've been able to get in for weeks. In fact it didn't let me in multiple times earlier today (including using Edge out of desperation) and then suddenly it did. Hopefully it will let me in again net time I try.

Did it give you an error? And it could be that it took that long to clear out your cookies so it could start over...
    Cralis
    SDS Member
    SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to General