Starfire Accessibility, or the Poor Man's 4X

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Starfire Accessibility, or the Poor Man's 4X

Postby Cralis on Mon 27 Feb 2017 10:33

You can always click on Albireo's name on the forum and there is an option to email him. He's been having lots of health issues, so sometimes he doesn't have the strength to do much.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Mon 27 Feb 2017 14:32

I think I will, thanks, Cralis. :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby southwestforests on Tue 28 Feb 2017 00:32

Caplin wrote:Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Hey there. :) Sorry I don't have a brainstorm of genius to offer: what I can and will say is that if anything is an example of your signature in real life, this thread sure is!
This thread is also educational for we who have sight.
And then on a bit of a tangent, I wonder what generalized things in here might be applicable to a Starfire civilization establishing communication with an alien species.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Caplin on Tue 28 Feb 2017 12:57

Hi All,

I sent Albireo a note yesterday, hoping that things are going okay for him.

I also started talking to a friend of mine who does board and card game accessibility stuff. His site is www.64ouncegames.com, and he thinks that a laser-cut map with tactile hexes should be doable. If I can get Braille counters, I might be able to play with a physical board after all.

THat's quite a while away, of course, so I'm still open to other solutions. I have… Five? editions of SF here in one electronic format or another, and the campaign portions of all of them are perfectly usable. :) I'm still impressed by how accessible PDFs from the SDS are, compared to many other game publishers.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Caplin on Mon 06 Mar 2017 22:22

Thanks to Cralis and Albireo, I got the audio map! :) It doesn't have the convenient distance macros Albireo mentioned he was working on at one point, but I'm just glad to have a copy of the thing again. A spreadsheet is a weird medium for a hex map, but it works well enough, including radian and scattergram information.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby southwestforests on Tue 07 Mar 2017 14:05

Hey, cool! Good to hear!
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Previous