Starfire Accessibility, or the Poor Man's 4X

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Starfire Accessibility, or the Poor Man's 4X

Postby Cralis on Tue 13 May 2014 08:45

The primary area of the system is within the 30 system hex (abbreviated sH) radius. All the planets, belts, and warp points will be there. With few exceptions. However, the map doesnt end there and in the case of binary and trinary systems, theoretically includes all the sH between them. But for the most part you can ignore that and use strategic movement. Just be aware it's still there.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Tue 13 May 2014 13:09

Thanks for the clarifications, all. For the sake of my sanity I think I'll map Cartesian coordinates onto the grid, with the primary at (0,0). It's probably not accurate, but I hope it will do for placing things, and give me a sense of where everything is, relatively.

In my reading of the rules last night, I was mildly flummoxed by the Survey section. It seems fairly tedious to plot out patterns for ship movement manually every time. Is that the kind of thing which can be abstracted in the strategic turn?

I hope to generate my first star system sometime soon. :)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 13 May 2014 14:07

The survey movement details only matter if your ships are surveying and an enemy force enters the system... where are your survey ships located?

99.99% of the time, however that detail is unimportant. Players that care will detail their movement orders in any Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) instructions for their empire, and only exceptions will be noted in the month-to-month orders.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby dazrand on Wed 14 May 2014 20:49

Sorry, work has caught up with me, but am working on a fix which might work. What reader do you use?
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Caplin on Wed 14 May 2014 21:26

I use VoiceOver, a screen rear built in to all recent Apple Macs. I should note that VO's PDF support is perhaps its worst feature, so I hope whatever fix you're contemplating isn't expecting too much from it. ;)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Fri 16 May 2014 02:18

Caplin:

The hex-by-hex movement for the survey ships is just there to show HOW it works, and is only really relevant when survey operations are being attacked.

Otherwise, players usually just calculate out the amount of survey points generated per turn by the fleet and go with that ( survey points from instruments * survey speed * number of ships in fleet).
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Caplin on Fri 16 May 2014 07:42

Thanks for clarifying that. :) It's hard to tell which rules are important sometimes, but I guess that's wh this forum is here. Much appreciated.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby Albireo on Fri 16 May 2014 15:47

Caplin,

I do not know how well MS Excel runs on Mac OS X. Maybe it is comparable with my Windows 7. I do not know.

I was just now tinkering with text to speech in my MS Excel 2010.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/converting-text-to-speech-in-excel-HA010369146.aspx

I was able to add those five additional command buttons to the Quick Access Toolbar, which is on the left side of the title bar. I was able to click, and it started to read rows for me. It seemed to stop on blank rows, and then I had to click again for it to continue reading the next rows.

I am not blind, so I am not fully accustomed to this.
In Starfire, we say E L = Economic Level, but the voice says EL running the E and the L together into a new combined sound. It is sort of like a different English.

I need my eyes to be able to mouse click anything at all. I am amazed at how you do this.

I do not know if this solution will work well for you ?
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby Caplin on Fri 16 May 2014 17:10

Albireo wrote:Caplin,

I do not know how well MS Excel runs on Mac OS X. Maybe it is comparable with my Windows 7. I do not know.

Unfortunately, it really isn't. Microsoft has done a horrible job with making sure their Mac apps are usable with screen readers. That being said…

Albireo wrote:I was just now tinkering with text to speech in my MS Excel 2010.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/converting-text-to-speech-in-excel-HA010369146.aspx

I was able to add those five additional command buttons to the Quick Access Toolbar, which is on the left side of the title bar. I was able to click, and it started to read rows for me. It seemed to stop on blank rows, and then I had to click again for it to continue reading the next rows.

I am not blind, so I am not fully accustomed to this.
In Starfire, we say E L = Economic Level, but the voice says EL running the E and the L together into a new combined sound. It is sort of like a different English.

I need my eyes to be able to mouse click anything at all. I am amazed at how you do this.

I do not know if this solution will work well for you ?

This solution isn't actually necessary. I can read spreadsheets just fine cell by cell, with the programs I have access to.
The problem is more about reading the tables that come with the rules themselves. They are often impossible for me to parse, formatted as they are, and I can't play without access to many of them. :) The screen reader itself works just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Fri 16 May 2014 21:04

Xveers wrote:Caplin:

The hex-by-hex movement for the survey ships is just there to show HOW it works, and is only really relevant when survey operations are being attacked.

Otherwise, players usually just calculate out the amount of survey points generated per turn by the fleet and go with that ( survey points from instruments * survey speed * number of ships in fleet).

Actually SP's are generated per STmP, not per turn. And they way things work I'm pretty sure the fleet breaks up, each hex must be surveyed individually
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General