Did Khanate Orions inspire the Kilrathi?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Did Khanate Orions inspire the Kilrathi?

Postby aramis on Wed 08 Mar 2017 00:13

PracticalM wrote:The CoDominium series (Starting with Mote in God's Eye) Anderson points are warp points in all but name.

Alderson Points, in name. They're a little different, in that they require a functioning jump drive to make use of, and the jump drive, when not at/near the point, just makes a big glow and a lot of fuel gets used...

Much of the CoDo, however, postdates the release of StarFire I. And the KON are pretty well established in that to be a warrior race; nothing in SF I screams "Kzin Clones".... Nor in SF II nor III, either. It's not until well into the 2E run that we see the Khanate ID'd as felinoids... In the Nexus articles.

I don't know if SVC had any CoDo on the brain, but he certainly DID have Kzin on his mind ... Starfire and SFB are siblings... But I don't see any evidence of Kzin in the cover art nor text of 1E nor the first half of 2E. By the time GKW finally came out, Nexus had established visuals for all of the core species. Orions, Ophiuchi, Rigelians... and the Arachnids.. Cats, Birds, Weasels, and spiders. Classic tropes.

Wing Commander comes later; if anything, Starfire may be the source of its basic plot line. Like SF I, it's essentially WWII in space...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Mon 13 Mar 2017 15:44

Someone pop across to David Weber's forum and ask? :P

Anyway, almost certainly Kzin-inspired. The whole cat-humanoid-with-death-or-glory-honour thing...
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby aramis on Tue 14 Mar 2017 02:36

Dawn Falcon wrote:Someone pop across to David Weber's forum and ask? :P

Anyway, almost certainly Kzin-inspired. The whole cat-humanoid-with-death-or-glory-honour thing...

The Death-or-glory thing predates the clear indications of being felinoids...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to General