Abstract Combat

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Abstract Combat

Postby Caplin on Thu 23 Feb 2017 11:32

Hi All,

I seem to make a habit of getting enthused about SF, messing around with it for a bit, and hitting some wall which stops me cold for a few months to a year. Still, I return.

I'm interested in following up on an idea Cralis gave me a while back, namely a way to track combat linearly rather than having to deal with hexes. I was wondering if anybody had experience doing this, and how it went.

The obvious thing I miss at first glance is the ability to use positioning tactically. I can't, for instance, maneuver into an enemy's blind spot, at least not using the rules as written. Facing in general loses meaning when there are only two directions.

Still, I've had some experience dealing with similar systems from role-playinggames. Does anybody have thoughts on how we might abstract tactical Starfire? :)
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Re: Abstract Combat

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 23 Feb 2017 12:08

Hmmm....

The RPG Tunnels and Trolls has the opposing sides rolling their combat dice, then adding the rolled total with their combat adds to produce an attack roll. The difference between the opposing totals is then assigned as damage to the side with the smaller roll.

You might want to get in touch with the guy who runs Starfire Online. That system uses an abstract "strategic" combat system to resolve battles when face-to-face games are not possible. I honestly didn't care for it as it was a bit easy to game the system to develop ships that were good using that abstract system but would have died ignominiously in a real table top game.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Abstract Combat

Postby Caplin on Thu 23 Feb 2017 13:00

Interesting. I've tried to mess with Starfire online, but always run into errors when trying to create a new game, so can't explore too deeply. I just reinstalled Starfire Assistant, which is as excellent as ever, for the strategic game anyway.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were, but without it we go nowhere.
Caplin
Commander
Commander

Return to General