Special "Buyers Only" forums a possibility?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Would private sections be good/bad?

Yes, we need this and it would be a great thing!
No votes
This might be a good thing, not sure, but interested in discussing this further in thread!
33%
Maybe, but just how hard would this be, and how much more of Cralis's time would this take?
44%
No, this is a worthless and contemptible idea, shame on you for even suggesting such a thing!
22%

Total votes : 9

Special "Buyers Only" forums a possibility?

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Mon 28 Oct 2019 17:49

Hey everyone, I just had yet another wacky idea!!!

What if we had a private section for each game, where only folks that had actually bought the game could access it?
The idea behind this is that we could have a section devoted to an in depth exploration/discussion of any starfire game, that covers things like a section by section coverage of ALL the rules within any of the various games, and serves as a place where anyone that owns that particular game can post questions/thoughts on topics covered. I don't mean like we have currently, where we cannot publicly post either screenshots or actual blocks of text straight from the rules, but rather a place where such can be done without risk, as the only folks that could get there would be those who have already bought that particular product/game.

It was frustrating back in 2014, when I was trying to get my mind around Solar Starfires rules, and not being able to just post the actual text from the rules for fear that someone might gain access to them without actually purchasing them, and this played a role in my abject failure in figuring out Solar. I won't claim that this was the only/main reason, but it was at least part of the reason I failed.

So, going forward, I'm currently looking to start posting a section by section of "Rules Clarification" threads for both Starfire one and Starfire three, and my hope is that by doing a methodical, step by step approach I can cover every rule in the simplest versions of Starfire. If successful, my hope is that other folks, now equipped with an example of how to do this, could build such a thing for all the other products in the franchise, with each in it's own private section for the buyers only. We could still have all the same public content, just as they are, but if new folks have any interest in an in depth review of the rules for a game they already own, then this would give them another place to go, and if they don't currently own that particular product/version, then they could simply purchase it and gain access to the private section(s). Right now, folks just buy games that they want to play, but if such a system were to be implemented, folks might want to make the small contributions to Starfire/SDS by buying that other products that they currently do not own/play.

Because I wasn't able to master Solar, I feel that the only thing I can contribute to the franchise at the moment would be content related to SF1 and SF3. Of course, even though I already own Solar, I cannot ever play it until I learn it, and having failed by just diving straight in, maybe, just maybe, if there was something like what I am going to start doing for the easy games dedicated to Solar Starfire, I could actually learn it! And I cannot think that I am the only potential player out there that is stymied in this manner, so maybe more players could 'come of age' if the forum had a dedicated private section for each games rules.

So, am I off my rocker, and no one else would want anything to do with this, or are there other potential "Masters of the Universe" out there that would appreciate this...
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Special "Buyers Only" forums a possibility?

Postby Cralis on Tue 29 Oct 2019 00:58

Voidstalker, nobody is going to have problems if you post a sentence or two from the rules to ask for clarification or to describe something you want help with. Often I will post a rule so that I can clearly show what I'm describing. What we don't want people to do is post whole rules sections. And certainly not all of them.

Private sections would take a bit of time to put together. However, it is something that we have talked about in the past for a day when we can build a user account-driven website. We have a few things to finish (including the new site design) before we can even think about going there.

I guess I'm not sure how you think having an editorialized version of the entire ruleset is going to be anymore help then simply asking questions about the parts you don't understand?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Special "Buyers Only" forums a possibility?

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Tue 29 Oct 2019 01:18

Cralis wrote:Voidstalker, nobody is going to have problems if you post a sentence or two from the rules to ask for clarification or to describe something you want help with. Often I will post a rule so that I can clearly show what I'm describing. What we don't want people to do is post whole rules sections. And certainly not all of them.

Private sections would take a bit of time to put together. However, it is something that we have talked about in the past for a day when we can build a user account-driven website. We have a few things to finish (including the new site design) before we can even think about going there.

I guess I'm not sure how you think having an editorialized version of the entire ruleset is going to be anymore help then simply asking questions about the parts you don't understand?
My thinking was that, if there were a dedicated section for each version/edition, then folks could find what they are looking for more easily, and also be able to tell at a glance, who actually had that game, as any posters there would have to have the rules already.

I didn't make things clear I guess, I don't want to copy/paste entire rules, let alone whole sections, rather I want to be able to post any and all issues/questions for a section. Say for movement in SF1, all my issues would be posted in one thread, and anyone who thought of something I missed would post their issues there as well, and all clarifications for all the issues for that edition/version section could all be in that thread.

I'm thinking that having all the misunderstandings relating to a rule section is better than thread mining for the answers, scattered in god only knows how many different threads, who's titles may or may not give an idea of what answers lie within. I know that for me, SF1 & SF3 represents about all the complexity I think I can handle right about now, so I'm willing to jump in and start posting away, section by section, until I can get all my issues into the threads, and receive answers and ideas for handling them.

Basically, I'm thinking each version/edition has its own forum, with one thread per section of its rules, where all the answers lie. Besides, if you can make private sections, sometime down the road, that might be an additional incentive to buy older versions. :)
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Return to General