Anatomically correct Sol system project.

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Anatomically correct Sol system project.

Postby aramis on Sat 16 Nov 2019 03:08

voidstalker[woe] wrote:On that note, what do you folks use for a mounting/backboard for your 4 part system maps?

I never mounted mine; they were simply unfolded, occasionally ironed to reflatten, and used on a cleared table. I did laminate my map from SFIII.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Sat 16 Nov 2019 12:44

So, while I'm out of my mind at the moment, I thought I'd come back here to this thread, and ask folks thoughts on the importance of a good model for the outer solar system, from Pluto out to the far edge of the Oort Cloud?

When might this seemingly limitless supply of raw materials get tapped first, either ingame or in real life? There are many resources much closer in, of course, but historically, when new areas get opened up for resource exploitation, folks make a beeline for the rare and valuable, and so I have to wonder about nations or corporations trying to be the first to 'stake a claim' to the vast reaches & the vast riches that it contains.

To get a kind of feel for this, once I am feeling up to it again, I plan to try to work out just how these riches will be gone after, and that means I need to have a good idea of just how vast these distances are, and how long it will take to get there and back.
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krenshala on Thu 21 Nov 2019 19:52

Check common trade route travel times from the Age of Sail - say, 14th to 18th century. Thats about the limit of what most folks will tolerate on trip time (though there are, of course, exceptions). As ship/drive tech improves, the range that time allows for will also improve. Personally, I'd go with 2 to 6 months as the max one-way distance folks are normally willing to travel (e.g., why we haven't gone to Mars yet with anthing that requires food/O2 :lol:).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to General