Terran Empire Saga - Chapter 9

Fiction by Jeff Offringa

Moderator: MrLemurBoy

Terran Empire Saga - Chapter 9

Postby MrLemurBoy on Wed 10 Nov 2010 18:29

Space combat can be devestating... but it's the ground troops that face the horror up close and personal

http://aromathus.com/index.php?option=c ... =15&id=153

Enjoy Chapter 9 of the Terran Empire Saga.

Also, now that Jeff's first book is finished, we'll be stepping up the frequency of these updates. You can look forward to new chapters weekly, now :D
MrLemurBoy
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Terran Empire Saga - Chapter 9

Postby Terran Author on Sat 13 Nov 2010 19:24

OK, folks. A word on this chapter. I'm sorry I haven't been posting here more, but I've been busy returning to school as a student for the first time in too many years....

That beins said, I have to say this chapter was based upon two conversations. One was with my friend who was in charge of the Byzanchor, one of the other player races. He made the point that ground combat in Starfire really shouldn't happen - he who controls the high orbitals wins. While this is undeniably true (at least to a degree), I still love ground combat in an SF universe.

And so I queired my best friend, who is a career US army officer (a tanker, specifically) and asked him for his opinion. He agreed with the point about ground combat in general, but said that it won;t go away.

"But if you can see it, you can hit it!" I replied.

"So don't let them see it." And hence was born the battle of Atarr Regarra, complete with missile strike, chaff, radiation bombs to scramble targeting - etc.

I'm sure there was more to that conversation, but as it was ten years ago, I don't recall the specifics anymore. I will say that the way this chapter plays out is as much mine as his, and I hope that you both find it creadibly realistic - and enjoyable.

More chapters are on the way - It should end up with about fifteen. Stay tuned!! :D
"Overkill is under-rated." - Col. Hannibal Smith
Terran Author
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Sat 13 Nov 2010 21:35

Don't worry about it. A good portion of the slow-down I'm experiencing is also due to school. Have another year and half to go...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Club on Sun 14 Nov 2010 03:10

David Weber's new book, Out of the Dark, is very much on that topic. The aliens have nothing going for them, except they're in the orbitals. And that's all the advantage they need to kick the stuffing out of humanity. I'm not sure if we're an ind-1 or an ind-2 race, but for a starfire empire we'd be a relative pushover.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby smkeyes on Sat 27 Nov 2010 19:48

Well controlling the high orbitals gives you an edge in fighting a conventional battle it dose not give you a big advatage in fighting an unconventional companign on a planets surface.
smkeyes
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Return to Terran Empire Saga