Terran Empire Saga - Chapter 10

Fiction by Jeff Offringa

Moderator: MrLemurBoy

Terran Empire Saga - Chapter 10

Postby MrLemurBoy on Wed 17 Nov 2010 17:50

Oh yeah... it's time to get ready for some Brit'laa hunting!

http://www.aromathus.com/index.php?opti ... =15&id=154
MrLemurBoy
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Re: Terran Empire Saga - Chapter 10

Postby Terran Author on Fri 19 Nov 2010 09:35

Hello guys

Chapter ten is a pause chapter - where I move from how we played the campaign to how it would have played out.

Never fear, though - the stories from the campaign are based on two things 1) Lengthy discussions with the Brit'laa and Lem'zha players, and 2) battles from other camapigns and one -offs. In other words, it's still "game fiction." :lol:

That being said, a word on how the war will play out, as hinted at in chapter 10 - After two years of game time or so which we duked it out, the campain broke up as the Jo'pak player got transfered out of state, and the Lem'zha player returned to his home state for famlly reasons. We tried to keep it going, but it didn't work.

At that time, we all finally got down to comparing maps of our empires. It was then the the Brit'laa player pointed out that the Byzanchor and myself both had accesses to the same system, and he'd been playing a game of double bluff with us for a loooooong time. In essence, he only had enough forts to cover one, and relied on his mobile fleet and mines to cover the other. If we'ed ever compared notes, it would have been game over. Quickly.

And so, after that conversation years back (and several more of late, where he helped me re-create his map), the rest of the story was born.

Hope you enjoy, Chapter eleven is coming, and is... interesting. ;)
"Overkill is under-rated." - Col. Hannibal Smith
Terran Author
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Fri 19 Nov 2010 09:56

Your fiction is based on the game and that is important. A lot of the novel fiction was not based on an actual game...and you can tell. Try playing out ISW4 or Insurrection scenarios and try to get the same result as the books :-)

It is interesting what kinds of things you find out when you compare notes with other players. I remember in a game back in the '90s that fell apart, I asked the other players to let me see their maps. We had been doing the Mardukian campaign where we all were fighting against a superior NPR. We had a lot of trouble because the way the map played out most of the players were literally months of travel apart from each other, or in one case, through an NPR that just wanted to be left alone.

But later when I compared the maps we found out that a single Mardukian system connected all five of our empires. If we had taken that system we would have been 2-4 jumps from medium or larger planets in each of our player empires (in other words, MUCH closer together than we thought).

Sheesh.

So it is interesting to find out that the Brit'laa had been playing a shell game...and doing it successfully. That kind of stuff always makes the SM in me smile :-)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Terran Author on Mon 22 Nov 2010 09:46

Thanks for the kind words,Cralis.

And yeah, you're right. Trying to get an ISW-4 battle to resemble the "historical" result is like herding cats. At best.

As for the battles I'm going to write about, after this campaign, I started a solo campiagn that I played up to HT-11, after which it just got too unwieldly (sp?). Also, the Byzanchor player and I did a short campaign where we generated an empire (w/ 100 pre-game turns to make it feel more real) and started a campaign at HT-8 or 9, as we both wanted to see what a "fighter war" would really be like, as opposed to ISW-4. v It's a pity that one never got very far. But the birth of his son and my graduaion from college killed that one. :(

Chapter eleven is based upon a battle from that HT-9 campaign, the others will be battles from my solo campaign.

I'm having much to much fun writing this story again - narrating the majority of the next chapter from the Brit'laa point of view was WAY to much fun.

But more on that after the chapter is posted - I don't wanna give spoliers yet. :)
"Overkill is under-rated." - Col. Hannibal Smith
Terran Author
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Mon 22 Nov 2010 17:21

Terran Author wrote:Thanks for the kind words,Cralis.

And yeah, you're right. Trying to get an ISW-4 battle to resemble the "historical" result is like herding cats. At best.

As for the battles I'm going to write about, after this campaign, I started a solo campiagn that I played up to HT-11, after which it just got too unwieldly (sp?). Also, the Byzanchor player and I did a short campaign where we generated an empire (w/ 100 pre-game turns to make it feel more real) and started a campaign at HT-8 or 9, as we both wanted to see what a "fighter war" would really be like, as opposed to ISW-4. v It's a pity that one never got very far. But the birth of his son and my graduaion from college killed that one. :(

Another thing you can do is build scenarios and see how they go. Something to think about for future stories. The big thing with inventing scenarios is not whether the campaign system will produce similar results - we can always fudge the campaign rules to get what we want - it is whether the actual tactical battle will be anything like what you describe it!

Chapter eleven is based upon a battle from that HT-9 campaign, the others will be battles from my solo campaign.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Cool.

I'm having much to much fun writing this story again - narrating the majority of the next chapter from the Brit'laa point of view was WAY to much fun.

But more on that after the chapter is posted - I don't wanna give spoliers yet. :)

Ahhh hah. Well I'll have to spend some time this weekend catching up with the last couple chapters. Fortunately I have a long weekend.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Terran Empire Saga