Starfire- Birth of the Terran Federation

Alexei's unique take on the early history of the Terran Federation

Moderators: AlexeiTimoshenko, LordKron

Starfire- Birth of the Terran Federation

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 08 Sep 2010 21:04

Just a few quick notes on my upcoming fiction.

First I'd like to thank Starfire's developers both past and present including David Weber, Steve White, Fred Burton and Marvin Lamb. Without there dedication to the game system and the Starfire universe in general this project would never have gotten off the ground.

I've been a Starfire gamer since 2nd ed. In fact it was David, Steve and Fred's articles in the old Nexus magazines that convinced me to but 2nd ed almost 26 years ago. I've played on both a tactical and campaign level over the years and read all of the novels. What made me want to try to write this story is the almost total lack of writing of Earth's history prior to ISW 1. There's a few snippts from the timeline but nothing detailed that I've read. I'm going to do my best to stick to the existing canon, save for some slight changes of events prior to the Great Eastern War.
For example, when the original timeling was published in 1983 the Soviet Union hadn't broken apart and there were still plans for manned lunar bases to be in place by the middle of this decade. I'm also slightly altering the details of Hermes first trip to Centauris. Yes, Hermes did stumble over the warp point and Galicia did follow on a search and rescue mission. In my envisioning of this story Galicia returned first but the government and scientific community were skeptical of the crew claim of visiting another star system. It was only upon Hermes return 3 weeks later that thr FGE accepted that warp points were a reality.

I've also altered a few terms to reflect 21st century terminology. The original FGE term for warp point was wormhole. Cutters are class one shuttles. Shuttles themselves are class 2. Smallcraft range is considerably shorter than is the case in the game system itself.

As far as characters go, the only major existing character in the story is Howard Anderson. His role however is effectively as the narrator, making a log entry on the eve of second VX-134. Irina Riva y Silva is mentioned in passing as one of her ancestor's relatives was the commander of Galicia.

My next post will include design specs for FGE Prometheus, as well as FGE/TFN survey ship classes prior to Discovery.

Thank you,

Charles Rosenberg
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Starfire- Birth of the Terran Federation

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 08 Sep 2010 22:18

One quick follow up. My ship designs are based upon original 3rd ed including hull size and engine requirements. The only exception is FGE Prometheus itself. Prometheus was built as a hybrid of 3rd ed and GSF rules with one exception. In original 3rd ed it was impossible to build a ship with a single ic even though that system took a full hull space. I've elected to do a single ic on Prometheus only as it was the FGE's prototype ion drive ship. I felt that from a rules and historical standpoint a single ic giving a spped of 1 or .017c was more accurate than having an I and a speed of 2 or .033c. In fact a small part of my upcoming story involves Hermes and Galicia doing engine testing which eventually allowed them to hit speed 4 or .066c.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 09 Sep 2010 05:02

Quick post for FGE Prometheus using 3rd ed rules

Ex AXHQs(ic)

This was Earth's prototype ion drive vessel. The closest GSF/Ultra equivalent would be a probe ship.

Also as I've envisioned Hermes and Galicia are near sisters. Hermes has a larger crew capacity while Galicia has a larger cargo hold.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 09 Sep 2010 21:24

Quick post on FGE/TFN survey ship design philosophy. As stated in my previous post Hermes and Galicia were near sisters. Hermes had LhQH configuration whereas Galicia had QsHH. This was intentional for a couple of reasons. First Hermes was in effect a prototype vessel and carried additional crew during testing. It was determined that a smaller crew was more than capable of manning the ship so Galicia was built with a larger hold to carry more supplies. Hermes larger accomodations were useful in transporting work crews during the construction of Europa station. The arrangement also worked at Uranus where Galicia's larger hold proved invaluable in bringing back samples from the Uranian moons.

The FGE elected to continue the near sister concept for the second generation survey vessels and its successor the TFN did the same on the third generation. By the time the fourth generation survey ships were built the philosophy had changed. These ships (the class preceding TFN Discovery) were now configured purely as warp point probe ships with limited armament (a feature not previously used). Planetary surveys were now done by millitary grade freighters configured with a full science suite and large shuttle bay. The armed probe ships were also used as frontier customs/piracy patrol vessels.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 10 Sep 2010 22:03

I'll start posting the story itself this weekend. The prolog itself is essentially just a log entry by Howard Anderson on the eve of 2nd VX-134.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 12 Sep 2010 16:49

Started posting the prolog this morning. I'll try to post a partial character list this week.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 12 Sep 2010 18:06

I finally got a chance to read through this... is this a complete re-write of the Federation history or just trying to do a more detailed re-write of the earlier years?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 12 Sep 2010 19:00

Fleshing out the history pre ISW 1. Minor rewrite of some events prior to 2017 to reflect current events as I'd like to have this remain a future history rather than an alternate timeline. The biggest changes from what I've seen of the existing timeline are replacing the Soviet Union with Russia and having the lunar bases be planned but unbuilt as of the onset of the Great Eastern War. I have included some recent and current events such as the 2008 oil price spike and the ensuing recession. One reason I'm writing this is that Weber's vision of events for the next decade are frighteningly close to coming true.

By the way, I'm not sure why Proxima Centauri is currently being listed in the various maps as the Centauris system. IDG clearly places Nova Terra/Eden as a twin planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. Assuming that the novels were written based on 2nd/3rd edition rules Proxima would be too far away in games terms to have the warp point nexus. I'm going to assume that IDG is correct and that Nova Terra/Eden is Alpha Centauri A2.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 12 Sep 2010 19:17

Here's a partial charcater list for the story.

Crew of FGE Hermes

Alexei Timoshenko CMDR ships captain
James Donovan LT Chief Engineer
Mikhail Kuzak LT Chief Science officer
Thomas Hughes LT Helm/shuttle pilot
Samantha Morris LT JG Operations officer
Kristina Mack ENS Boat Bay officer

Crew of FGE Galicia

Carlos Silva CMDR ships captain
David Enwright LT Chief Engineer
Franklin Chung LT Chief Science officer
Jeffrey Sanders ENS Helm officer
Alexis Kozlova ENS Boat Bay officer

FGE Space Command

John Waldeck ADM commander Europa station
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 12 Sep 2010 19:44

I haven't seen anything subastantial published about Nova Terra/Eden's ecology other than the tidal bulge and length of day. I wouldn't mind having some feedback after I get that part of the story published. I'm going with an Earthlike world including biochemical compatability but with a radically diffent eveloutionary track due to the effects of Proxima Centauri's orbit.

This weeks posts in the prolog thread should get me up to the China War. If I get enough time Friday I'll try to finish the prolog. Next week the "fun" starts with Hermes first trip to Alpha Centauri.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Next

Return to Alexei's Early Years of the Terran Federation