Starfire- Birth of the Terran Federation

Alexei's unique take on the early history of the Terran Federation

Moderators: AlexeiTimoshenko, LordKron

Re: Starfire- Birth of the Terran Federation

Postby Cralis on Sun 12 Sep 2010 19:59

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Fleshing out the history pre ISW 1. Minor rewrite of some events prior to 2017 to reflect current events as I'd like to have this remain a future history rather than an alternate timeline. The biggest changes from what I've seen of the existing timeline are replacing the Soviet Union with Russia and having the lunar bases be planned but unbuilt as of the onset of the Great Eastern War. I have included some recent and current events such as the 2008 oil price spike and the ensuing recession. One reason I'm writing this is that Weber's vision of events for the next decade are frighteningly close to coming true.

Ah, true. But essentially (as far as STARFIRE is concerned) you are doing an alternate to the Weber history :-) That is ok, I agree that it would have been interesting to see more pre-ISW1 history fleshed out.

By the way, I'm not sure why Proxima Centauri is currently being listed in the various maps as the Centauris system. IDG clearly places Nova Terra/Eden as a twin planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. Assuming that the novels were written based on 2nd/3rd edition rules Proxima would be too far away in games terms to have the warp point nexus. I'm going to assume that IDG is correct and that Nova Terra/Eden is Alpha Centauri A2.

I'm guessing it is listed because the novels say that it is part of the system. Some of the novels were started a decade before 3rd edition ever existed, but Weber helped develop 3rd edition to make it similar to the novels. That, and artistic license, are the reason that there are things that happen in the novels that you can't do (or couldn't happen) in the game.

I'll be watching your work... it should be interesting to see how you develop the pre-ISW1 history.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 12 Sep 2010 20:23

Thanks for the vote of confidence. If I remember correctly (bear with me as I lost my copy of ISF years ago in a move) the ISF timeline reflects Russia rather than the Soviet Union. As far as the lunar bases are concerned, they would have been a stretch to build by this decade even using the Nexus 6 timeline. The only way I could see either side undertaking such a project would have been as a military base which may well have violated UN treaties. As things stand today we at least have the blueprints for a modern heavy lift launch vehicle to make a lunar base feasible but not practical. Alter the equation with a nuclear exchange between Iran and Israel and possible escalation and there could well be the impetus to set up a permanent manned lunar base.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 13 Sep 2010 22:10

Next section of the prolog is posted. Covers the Great Eastern war through the Terra mission to Jupiter. Tomorrows post will be shorter, covering the China war then Wednesday I should be able to finish the prolog.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby JB Anderson on Tue 14 Sep 2010 09:28

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I haven't seen anything subastantial published about Nova Terra/Eden's ecology other than the tidal bulge and length of day. I wouldn't mind having some feedback after I get that part of the story published. I'm going with an Earthlike world including biochemical compatability but with a radically diffent eveloutionary track due to the effects of Proxima Centauri's orbit.

Nova Terra is a habitable world in the Alpha Centauri system. It occupies the second orbit of Alpha Centauri A along with its twin habitable, Eden. The two planets take just over sixty-one standard hours to complete a revolution around their mutual center of mass. This unique situation has left the them tidelocked to each other and created a tidal bulge on the hemisphere perpetually facing Eden. The prominent feature of which is the Cerulean Ocean that turned the mountains there into islands. One of these islands, New Atlantis is known for its dramatic topography and subtropical vegetation. This vegetation was imported from Old Terra and has pushed out the less evolved native plants.

Nova Terra has the distinction of being home to the first extra-solar Terran colony. It was founded in 2067 and had reached a population of two million by 2143. It has grown to become one of the economic powerhouses in the Terran Federation. The massive BuShips complex there is listed among the three largest shipyards in the Federation.

In 2146, the New Annapolis Academy was established there for the training officers for Survey Command. The school was later renamed to Andrew Prescott Academie.

During ISW-4, New Atlantis served as home to the Xenology Institute.

Above the planet floats Sky Watch One, a huge space station that coordinates fixed system defenses in this key Federation system. This orbital station houses Fortress Command.
Last edited by JB Anderson on Tue 14 Sep 2010 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
JB Anderson
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby JB Anderson on Tue 14 Sep 2010 11:34

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:By the way, I'm not sure why Proxima Centauri is currently being listed in the various maps as the Centauris system. IDG clearly places Nova Terra/Eden as a twin planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. Assuming that the novels were written based on 2nd/3rd edition rules Proxima would be too far away in games terms to have the warp point nexus. I'm going to assume that IDG is correct and that Nova Terra/Eden is Alpha Centauri A2.

Per the novels:

Alpha Centauri is a trinary system with a yellow primary, orange secondary, late M (red dwarf) tertiary. Alpha Centauri C is known as Proxima Centauri and, at approximately four and a third light-years distance, it is the closest star to Sol. This closeness may be why the maps label the system by that name. Since Alpha Centauri A is the largest of the three stars, it makes sense that it is the nexus for the system's warp points. Alpha Centari has eleven open warp points and, as the Arachnids discovered, one closed one. It is the second most heavily defended system in the Federation.
JB Anderson
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 14 Sep 2010 19:41

I'm aware of those points. Ecology wise I'm talking about life forms and climate effects due to Eden and the system being a trinary although Proxima's effects would be negligible. As the story progresses you'll see my take as to what direction evolution took on Nova Terra.

At this point my biggest problem with describing the Centauris system is the lack of a data shhet since I never purchased the ISW 4 expansion. I'm hoping that I'm consistant with where the existing information puts the Centauris end of the warp point to/from Sol. I'm placing it in the outer system well beyond stable orbit or asteroid field range of Alpha Centauri A. Not being any more specific than that but if this is inconsistant with the ISW 4 system data sheet I'd like to know.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 14 Sep 2010 19:50

My take on the Eden facing side of Nova Terra looks like it effectively matches the existing information. As a minor spoiler alert it looks like New Atlantis may well have been one of the spots where Hermes shuttles landed. My take on the local climate at the landing site fits with a subtropical description.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 14 Sep 2010 21:51

Finished posting the prolog tonight. I'll start a thread for chapter 1 tomorrow.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:13

Started posting chapter 1 tonight. Hermes enters the wp tomorrow.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby JB Anderson on Thu 16 Sep 2010 13:26

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I'm aware of those points. Ecology wise I'm talking about life forms and climate effects due to Eden and the system being a trinary although Proxima's effects would be negligible. As the story progresses you'll see my take as to what direction evolution took on Nova Terra.

At this point my biggest problem with describing the Centauris system is the lack of a data shhet since I never purchased the ISW 4 expansion. I'm hoping that I'm consistant with where the existing information puts the Centauris end of the warp point to/from Sol. I'm placing it in the outer system well beyond stable orbit or asteroid field range of Alpha Centauri A. Not being any more specific than that but if this is inconsistant with the ISW 4 system data sheet I'd like to know.

The only information we are given is that the native vegetation of New Atlantis is less evolved than Earth's.
The Sol WP in Proxima [Alpha] Centauris is @ SH30, Rad 8, Capacity 1-500 HS.
JB Anderson
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

PreviousNext

Return to Alexei's Early Years of the Terran Federation