Damage control tech idea from real world railway news

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Damage control tech idea from real world railway news

Postby southwestforests on Tue 19 Feb 2019 16:29

Damage control technology idea from real world railway news.
From recent news in the realm of the fireproofing of railway electronics, dig the transforming cable insulation;
CABLES: Nexans has launched its Flamex Ethernet FR range of fire-resistant communication cables, which are designed to maintain their integrity during a fire so that train crew can continue using key communication and control systems.
When exposed to fire, the cable insulation, transforms from a flexible plastic covering to a tough insulating ceramic layer.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/technology/single-view/view/fire-resistant-ethernet-cables-launched.html
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Re: Damage control tech idea from real world railway news

Postby aramis on Wed 20 Feb 2019 14:21

I can see so many ways this can go bad...

Does it rigidize? if so, then falling debris can crack it...
Does it expand? if so, it means the fireblocks have to be flexible materials.
how high does it go? If it's higher than melt-point, then a crack might have the wire leak right on out.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby southwestforests on Wed 20 Feb 2019 21:42

aramis wrote:I can see so many ways this can go bad...
Are you an engineer, that sounds just like the outlook of my several friends who are. :D But, seriously, failure modes and unforeseen interactions, especially unforeseen interactions, are something which really need to be thoroughly examined with spacecraft systems.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby aramis on Tue 26 Feb 2019 15:37

southwestforests wrote:
aramis wrote:I can see so many ways this can go bad...
Are you an engineer, that sounds just like the outlook of my several friends who are. :D But, seriously, failure modes and unforeseen interactions, especially unforeseen interactions, are something which really need to be thoroughly examined with spacecraft systems.

Nope, not an Engineer. But was raised by one. And trained in basics of Theology by Dominican friars, and have been an RPG GM for 37 years or so.

And, just for reference, Murphy was an optimist.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Return to The Starless Void