Planetary Habitability? It's What's Inside That Counts

Every discussion that doesn't have a home gets thrown into the Starless Void. Posters included.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

More than likely if your thread got moved, it got moved here. It is highly unlikely that a topic in the starless void can attain enough velocity to escape this sub-forum's event horizon.

Postby southwestforests on Sun 05 May 2019 06:58

With planetary habitability indexes being a thing in Starfire, this might be of interest;
by Staff Writers
Washington DC (SPX) May 03, 2019
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Plane ... s_999.html
Which of Earth's features were essential for the origin and sustenance of life? And how do scientists identify those features on other worlds?

A team of investigators with array of expertise ranging from geochemistry to planetary science to astronomy published this week an essay in Science [https://science.sciencemag.org] urging the research community to recognize the vital importance of a planet's interior dynamics in creating an environment that's hospitable for life.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Captain
Captain

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Re: Planetary Habitability? It's What's Inside That Counts

Postby Vandervecken on Sun 09 Jun 2019 04:18

Yes, having an active (but not hyper-active) magnetic field is necessary for higher life forms living on top of the crust of a world, but a geologically active interior of a Iced over world may not need such a strong field to have life (possibly even up to intelligent life). And non-carbon based life may actually need to not have a active field [or a super powerful one]to get the type of energy that will do the trick that makes them thrive. (Can't rule it out even though energy transport is a tricky thing stability- wise with non-Carbon proxies in some of the most common hypothetical alien biologies proposed.)

Still, is a fascination insight to just how special our world is. But with billions of candidate planet just in our Galaxy ...
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Planetary Habitability? It's What's Inside That Counts

Postby Cralis on Sun 07 Jul 2019 23:31

Vandervecken wrote:Still, is a fascination insight to just how special our world is. But with billions of candidate planet just in our Galaxy ...

It's really hard to do the math without knowing all of the variables! I've actually been amused at how many different book universes Ian Douglas can write based on creating answers to the Fermi Paradox...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to The Starless Void