Nemasis Campaign Comments

Procyon's family campaign

Moderator: procyon

Nemasis Campaign Comments

Postby procyon on Sat 02 Apr 2011 23:03

This thread will be for comments to the story.

Feel free to comment, it is a rather unusual take on starfire.

Of course, if drakar comments, you should know that he is partial to the US.....
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Re: Nemasis Campaign Comments

Postby procyon on Tue 05 Apr 2011 05:08

I apologize for the table at the bottom of Feb 2203 concerning the players assets.

It doesn't look like that on my posting screen, and nothing I have done straightens the columns out.

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Apr 2011 09:50

Don't worry, it is a common problem. The only way to fix it is to use an image, but then you have to find somewhere on the Internet to host the image so you can link it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Mon 16 May 2011 02:22

The latest post to Sept 2203 part 4 has a number of statements at the end of the post that had to do with the original story on the other website. Most all are responses to comments from the readers or messages I had received. When they don't make sense, just ignore them or ask what they mean and I will attempt to explain here what the original question was.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Wed 25 May 2011 04:08

OK, we have one more house rule in this game that isn't even posted on the other site. It grew from the way we set the game up.

We took some shortcuts with the math to make it easier on the younger kids, as just learning Ultra was going to be trouble enough. One of the shortcuts was that you just totaled all your income - Planets, belts, trade, FT leasing, interest on treasury, etc into one total and that was your GEV. So anything based on your income was based on this. EL research, item research, convoy costs, etc.

Team this simplified math up with the reduced income from a Cp FT leased to the CFN, and the FTs actually cost you more in maint and increased EL research cost than they would earn.

To offset this some, and give the players some leeway with their limited incomes, we waved the rule limiting FT to only 20% of HS in military systems. If you wanted to build what amounted to a weak hulled warship - go right ahead. With most weapons scoring triple damage, doubling on top of that meant you were building VERY fragile warships.

This rule has just carried over into our other games using Ultra rules. My wifes CVEs in the Imperial Scenarios would be a good example. Makes the FT hull a bunch more flexible, but still way behind a warship in power.

So if you wonder how the Marie Celeste, Kestrel, or Mary Reed packed so many military systems for the FSC, this would be why.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Fri 27 May 2011 01:07

Cralis wrote:They better wrap that stuff up really fast if they want to have a chance against an entire alien race...

From China's point of view, the ground war in December 2203 was more about tying up the US and Euro fleets at Earth while he got his ships refitted with S than in actually trying to take over the FSC. It was also to ensure that the FSC didn't have the resources to finish research on S, and to a small degree make sure they had few or no ships to put them on if they did complete research.

For a 13 y/o boy at the time, he was very thorough in manipulating other players.
His motto for a long time (in SF) has been:

"if you are fighting fair, you just don't want to win bad enough."

If Feb 2204 hadn't happened, he would probably have taken over the earth within a few more months.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby procyon on Sun 29 May 2011 11:48

The post at the end of January is just my OCD for trying to keep the months in order. My apologies.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby krenshala on Wed 06 Jul 2011 19:54

I'm curious, how did you handle the ground battle at Triton? Did you just group all the human troops into one "army", or did you run, essentially, three separate ground invasions at the same time?
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Fri 08 Jul 2011 02:54

Of all the folks who read this story, you are the first to ask...

It was kind of complicated, which was why I kind of skirted around it in the overview. In a nutshell - here it is.

Our family had a few 'discussions' about how this was going to work. Due to the fact that different players had different sized groups, varied generals, and differing EL's (ok - about nothing matched) they all had different ideas about how the combat should have been run. In the end we (I) decided this:

They would be able to combine all of the Qv for the combat, but could only use one general to affect the outcome. The player whose general had overall command would make the rolls.

Any player could attempt to pillage, but if multiples did they would split the income by the percentage of Qv their forces represented. (None of them did).

The EL for combat was figured much like grade for a smcft crew getting replacements. Each block of Qv would be multiplied by its EL, and then the total divided by the entire Qv total to get its 'effective' EL.

Losses from combat would be prorated to each force according to the percentage of the Qv they represented, but with inverse values on the EL from the previous calculation. So the lower the EL, the higher the percentage of casualties you took.

This is most of the rules we cobbled together for this situation. Hope it answers your question.

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby krenshala on Fri 08 Jul 2011 17:44

That sounds about like what I was thinking the rules should be if it explicitly allowed that kind of multi-EL combine forces invasion. ;) Its way more than most players/SMs would probably want to deal with, but does a pretty good job of keeping things balanced in relation to what the rules intend.
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 13yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Nemesis Campaign