Nemasis Campaign Comments

Procyon's family campaign

Moderator: procyon

Re: Nemasis Campaign Comments

Postby Albireo on Wed 28 Jan 2015 03:28

My mother was so proud of me when I joined the navy. She said she would do anything for me. I said I was dreaming about my Gorm Khanate War game. She says she will send it to me. I freak out. "Mom, the postal service will lose that in the mail ! DO NOT SEND IT TO ME !! " She sends it on its way to me anyways. Weeks go by, and it was lost in the mail. :( :( Mom goes to the post office to claim the insurance money. I told her that the insurance money was worthless, since that game could not be found in the gaming stores everywhere that I looked. A few more weeks go by, and she receives a package in the mail. "Undeliverable, Return to Sender. " HA HA !

Today, I am not sure where the hidden warp point that copy is hiding at. I have two replacement copies from Ebay. LOL
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby procyon on Wed 28 Jan 2015 08:33

Cralis wrote:Now is your chance to help pioneer online play! Any chance of that happening?

The fact that I am only a few steps above computer illiterate will probably be a bit of a hurdle for me in that area. :roll:

That, and the fact that my only access to 'online' is when I am at work. The hospital may take a dim view of me using my shifts to found online play for Solar... :lol:

I'm only just starting to get my kids interested and my wife will probably never be interested. Even so, I'm hoping that I can yet have a family legacy like that. Until then, I'm still jealous

For me, it was the kids that dragged their mom into the game. She would never have played if it was just me asking. But a couple of kids begging mom to play with them is a WHOLE different story.

And I love the 'family gaming group' and our game nights. It gives us time together that seems to get lost in a lot of families anymore. The other side of the coin is that you will build a wonderful game - with a timer counting down on it from the start.

dazrand wrote:Ahh, I remember something similar when I headed to basic training. A surreal experience being out "on my own" in a hotel waiting for the morning and not sure what the day would bring. Despite the fact I ended up at Fort Sill , it was the beginning of a wonderful experience.

I was in the same boat almost 30 years ago. Only it was Ft Leonard Wood for me. And I am not sure I would use the word 'wonderful' to describe how I felt about it at the time. But I am glad I did, and wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Albireo wrote:My mother was so proud of me when I joined the navy.

My mom was worried to death about I and my younger brother. He decided to graduate early and shipped out only a few months after me. He ended up seeing Panama and Grenada while I was still wandering around in Germany. Then it was my turn as I went for Kuwait, Somalia, and then ended up just outside of Yugo. That was enough for me.
We both made it home ok, but my mom still worries to this day. But that is just her. :)
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Wed 28 Jan 2015 10:09

A stroll down memory lane for me guys. I paid a little visit to Ft Sill back in '85, and ended up at Ft Lenardwood in '89 till I ETS'ed in '90. Got to Berlin '87-89, and visited S Korea for operation team spirit in '86.

When were you guys at those bases?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 28 Jan 2015 11:52

I still remember stepping off that bus at MCRD San Diego as a fresh recruit. I was quite a bit older than the average recruit so I wasn't scared... but there is still a large amount of uncertainty that causes natural apprehension. After that it was so quick-paced, constant, and intense that the memories often blur together...

But I'd do it all over again. And again. And again.

I wish the best for him. It's definitely worth doing.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby dazrand on Wed 28 Jan 2015 19:30

My mom was worried to death about I and my younger brother. … But that is just her. :)

I got to my first permanent party assignment (Ft. Lewis) about 2 weeks before Operations Just Cause. The day after the start of operations, which saw our Ranger buddies vanish overnight, I was called out in formation by the CO to call my mother because "she was worried". She knew which base I was on and spent a few hours calling around and badgering various switch board operators and unit commanders until she found my unit to make sure I was ok. Got to love mothers.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Thu 29 Jan 2015 01:34

dazrand wrote:I got to my first permanent party assignment (Ft. Lewis) about 2 weeks before Operations Just Cause. The day after the start of operations, which saw our Ranger buddies vanish overnight, I was called out in formation by the CO to call my mother because "she was worried". She knew which base I was on and spent a few hours calling around and badgering various switch board operators and unit commanders until she found my unit to make sure I was ok. Got to love mothers.

You should be absolutely giddy with joy that you weren't in the Marine Corps. That would be your definition as a Marine. Officially. In your record, most likely.

But I do have a great story about boot camp. Father's Day just happened while I was in boot camp and in front of the entire unit, the five or six of us who were fathers were called up front right before we marched out for breakfast. Our Senior Drill Instructor informed us that it was, in fact, Father's Day and that we were instructed to call home.

With smiles on our faces, he then said. "So call home. Now."

With no idea what he meant, he then started yelling "CALL HOME! HOME! HOME! CALL IT! LOUDER! CALL IT!" ... at which point the three other drill instructors jumped in. So there we were, five or six recruits, all yelling "HOME! HOME!" as loud as we could while four Drill Instructors were up in our faces and screaming "NOT LOUD ENOUGH! THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU! CALL HOME LOUDER! LOUDER! AAHAHHHHAHAAHAAAAA!!!!!!" ...

It felt like that went on for about two or three minutes. I hope the rest of the recruits got a big laugh out of it. Although I'm pretty sure not a single one of them showed it...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Vandervecken on Thu 29 Jan 2015 02:14

I went to basic training at Ft. Lost in the Woods (Leonard Wood), the first Basic Training that some Engineer trainers (OSUT) did, we sometimes would get the 25 minute 'Engineer' version of some things instead of the 8 minute 'Basic' training version. After Basic ...

Spent some time in Ft. Sam Houston doing that Medic thing
Spent some time in Ft. Benning doing that Airborne thing
Spent some time in Ft Bragg and Camp Mackall doing that Special Forces thing
Back to Ft. Sam to do some SF Medic training
Spent 3 weeks in Ft, Hood doing some OJT medic training
Back to Ft. Bragg to do some more SF Training (300F1/Goat Lab)
Stayed in Ft Bragg for another 1.8 years and finished my 3 year term. Yup, I spent over a year training before I ever got assigned to a unit - And big chunks of that training was at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, the 'Country Club' of Army bases.

Pretty boring except for 2 items ...
1) Was part of RDF when Anwar Sadat got shot. Very glad that little trip I made didn't end in a Combat Jump into Egypt, just a long U-Turn to get back home.
2) some project that took under 3 weeks of my life, but when it was done I no longer saw myself as 'Doc' any more.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby procyon on Thu 29 Jan 2015 08:44

Not going to be quite as detailed as Van, but it is late in the morning and I am getting a bit sleepy. So the highlights are

Basic in '86 at Ft Leonard Wood.
Benning for AIT.
Stationed in W. Germany - Wiesbaden AFB.
Back to CONUS to get ASI.
Back to W. Germany - area of Fulda Gap.
CONUS for reclass / ASI.
Rotating assignments CONUS & OCONUS.
Gulf '90-92 (Desert Shield/Storm)
Somalia late '92-93 (Restore Hope)
Bosnia '94-95 (Provide Promise)
ETS '96 (9 years, 6 months)

There was also a fair number of trips to home when I could get leave. 8-)
Or get a long pass while CONUS. I loved jumping on space available in MAC flights.

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby Redspade on Wed 20 Sep 2017 19:58

I am curious, since its been a while since anyone posted, but I am curious to find out if the campaign ended and if so who won.
Redspade
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Postby procyon on Sun 24 Sep 2017 03:23

It ended long ago, most due to players growing up and leaving home (among other thing). Went over 100 turns - which was pretty good based on the fact that it was a first game with a new rule set, and we really twisted the rules around pretty hard.

There wasn't any sort of winner. By the end of the game, they were competing - but not attempting to eliminate each other. Now, taking advantage of each other...

procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Nemesis Campaign